Left Wing goes LOUD!

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Yep, we'll see how the rest of the reforms go. I think the financial reform is actually even more important. Some people need to go to jail, for a long long time.

Or not.
But reform is very important, and if Obama can manage to bring that about, he will have a huge second feather in his cap.
But what the U.S. really needs is a value-added tax.
Ain't no way to get around that.
If Obama can bring that in, he will be remembered as the prexident who not only brought health care to the uninsured, but transferred the profligate, willfully self-deluded American populace from a leaking financial rowboat to a seaworthy ship of state.
He will be seen as a fine prexident, and maybe a great prexident.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Or not.
But reform is very important, and if Obama can manage to bring that about, he will have a huge second feather in his cap.
But what the U.S. really needs is a value-added tax.
Ain't no way to get around that.
If Obama can bring that in, he will be remembered as the prexident who not only brought health care to the uninsured, but transferred the profligate, willfully self-deluded American populace from a leaking financial rowboat to a seaworthy ship of state.
He will be seen as a fine prexident, and maybe a great prexident.
Kind of an American Brian Mulroney eh?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Kind of an American Brian Mulroney eh?

Yes.
But the U.S., with all its unfunded liabilities, is in far more dire need of a VAT than Canada was of the GST.
(Of course, the GST replaced the Manufacturers' Sales Tax and in theory didn't greatly increase the cost of most purchases. The stupidest thing Stephen Harper ever did was reducing the GST from 7 to 5 percent. But the U.S., today, is in far greater need of a VAT than we initially were of the GST. And I hope they get it.)

At.your.cervix

Superior Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, if it makes you feel any better, rolled into the health care bill was a major reform of the way student loans are run. Up until now, the banks handled student loans, earned major revenues from their interest, yet were off the hook whenever there was a default. Now, the loans will come directly from the government, without the banks acting as middlemen. The revenues gained from this streamlined process will be directed to increased PELL grants, for lower income students, leaving them less saddled with debt when they graduate.

Now I know some of you will say, "great, just more governmental bureaucracy to deal with." But for the most part, the biggest area of bureaucratic controls had to deal with the recovery of defaults, which already was a governmental function. This change will literally save the taxpayers billions of dollars each year. The only ones hurt by this shift in policy will be the banks, who will lose this "can't lose" money maker.

Just remember, Obama has only been in office a little over a year now; give him a reasonable amount of time to prove himself. He chose to expend his surplus political capital on changing the health care system, which was something no President--Republican or Democrat--has been able to do since it was first attempted by (R) Theodore Roosevelt. And it was necessary. Health care has been an increasing drain on the entire American economy, sucking up more and more of our GDP. As such, our wages have been growing increasingly noncompetetive in the global marketplace, as they have had to increase in accord with the rising health care costs.

But yes, there is still a lot more to do for our President, our Congress, and our society, if we are to remain the dominant economic power in the world. Stay tuned.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yes.
But the U.S., with all its unfunded liabilities, is in far more dire need of a VAT than Canada was of the GST.
(Of course, the GST replaced the Manufacturers' Sales Tax and in theory didn't greatly increase the cost of most purchases. The stupidest thing Stephen Harper ever did was reducing the GST from 7 to 5 percent. But the U.S., today, is in far greater need of a VAT than we initially were of the GST. And I hope they get it.)

I quite agree Rubi. It's simplistic, but a spend and borrow economy can't be sustained forever. Everyone in the US talks about it but they aren't really willing to do the right thing. What got Canada out of the budget disaster and stagnant economy of the eighties, was the Liberal's chemotherapy of painful spending cuts and higher taxes in the early nineties. The feds didn't have a budget shortfall until last year I believe. No?

I was surprised that Harper cut the GST. He's not the brightest PM we've had is he?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I quite agree Rubi. It's simplistic, but a spend and borrow economy can't be sustained forever. Everyone in the US talks about it but they aren't really willing to do the right thing.
And the problem is gonna get worse real fast as the babyboomer's move into retirement.
The ship sails forward, the rocks get closer, and ...

What got Canada out of the budget disaster and stagnant economy of the eighties, was the Liberal's chemotherapy of painful spending cuts and higher taxes in the early nineties. The feds didn't have a budget shortfall until last year I believe. No?
That's right.
The fiscal year that ended on March 31, 2009 had a $2.25 billion (Cdn) deficit, the first in 12 years.

I was surprised that Harper cut the GST. He's not the brightest PM we've had is he?
Well, he is quite bright, and he's an economist.
But he's also a relatively unprincipled redneck conservative.
In a cheap bid for votes, he made the promise to cut the GST by two percentage points in an election campaign.
His claim was that it was dishonest to keep chalking up the surpluses we were enjoying.
But we still had a lot of accumulated debt to clear up.
We were far better off with those surpluses rolling in each year.
D'oh.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, the health care reform bill has nothing in it to control costs. All I see is a health insurance sector that decides to punish Obama's legacy with ever increasing and crushing premium increases.

The fine for denying pre-existing conditions is only $100 a day, so many insurance companies would rather pay the fines and hold out for the patient's death all in the name of makin' moneyz.

Dodd's regulation simply has no teeth. The banks LOVE Dodd's "regulation" because there is nothing in his bill which will prevent them from doing bizness as uzual.

I'm glad that they are gettin' these watered down bills passed, but they fall short from actually enacting any tangible reforms.

Obama/Biden are Bush Lite, but Palin/McCain were extra strength Bush.

I voted for the right guys, but they are about as progressive as my nutsac in the Summertime.

funnyguy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can always count on you MLB! LOL And, indeed, we do need financial reform--maybe Rubi is correct that we need a VAT. (I paid it when living in France.) I can only add one more that is critical to reform in the US,as I see it. That is election reform including election financing. Why is it that elections take place in other countries is so short a beriod of time (?) while here we drag them out for years. Notice that they all have to do with the monied interests!

stratedude

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
you guys are dilusional. Why do you want the government to have all the money? They always do a worse job than the private sector unless national security is at stake. Banks acting as the middleman between us and the gvmnt? Are you out of your mind? Neither case is suppose to be the function of gvmnt. You hate all over the banks for what you dream up to be taking profits while completely ignoring the REAL racket here: the universities. They are the ones that keep all the govmnt funding while raising tuition over and over. They are the reason tuition is sky high.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
you guys are dilusional. Why do you want the government to have all the money? They always do a worse job than the private sector unless national security is at stake. Banks acting as the middleman between us and the gvmnt? Are you out of your mind? Neither case is suppose to be the function of gvmnt. You hate all over the banks for what you dream up to be taking profits while completely ignoring the REAL racket here: the universities. They are the ones that keep all the govmnt funding while raising tuition over and over. They are the reason tuition is sky high.

No, you are the one who is dilusional"

it's actually spelled delusional, but then again, you have probably fooled yourself into believing that it isn't.

It's not dil like in dill pickle.

I sure as hell hope that you haven't been given a chance to breed yet...

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You hate all over the banks for what you dream up to be taking profits while completely ignoring the REAL racket here: the universities. They are the ones that keep all the govmnt funding while raising tuition over and over. They are the reason tuition is sky high.

No they're not...
As a person who is born and raised in Boston, a city that has more colleges and universities per square inch than Las Vegas has hookers, I can tell you that the reason why Universities can raise tuitions is because they are also not regulated. Practically everything that a college or university makes or purchases can be written off since educational institutions, just like churches, are tax exempt. Cites and states also receive bonuses for providing land and other services to them. It brings in more people which also brings in more revenue, especially in the real estate market. I mean, if Boston has more than 12 colleges in their one city, imagine all of the extra housing that needs to be provided?

You honestly think the banks drive up tuitions? LOL... think again.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
Everyone in the US talks about it but they aren't really willing to do the right thing.

A GST or VAT is a good idea, not only to finance the deficit, but also to discourage the culture from mindless consumption. Another major disincentive to incurring further debt is to disallow a corporate tax deduction for it, which would raise revenue at the same time. With the current laissez faire election financing mindset, it's a reach, but it would be a major step in the right direction.

Perhaps if the US spent less on the military than the rest of the world combined, we might save a few hundred million per year. :rolleyes:

JTalbain

Experimental Member
Media
Well, the health care reform bill has nothing in it to control costs. All I see is a health insurance sector that decides to punish Obama's legacy with ever increasing and crushing premium increases.
I wonder if the states realize what they are doing by suing for repeal. Their claim is that nothing in the Constitution allows the government to force its citizens to buy anything that is privately owned. It can collect money itself, but forcing everyone to buy something from somebody is a no-no. Many of these people are deathly afraid that this bill will end up being nationized healthcare, but they are making the strongest case thus far to make it so.

The fine for denying pre-existing conditions is only $100 a day, so many insurance companies would rather pay the fines and hold out for the patient's death all in the name of makin' moneyz.
For some people yes, but many are denied for failing to report preexisting conditions even when they are not what the patient is being treated for. Others have chronic illnesses which will still allow them to live a long life. Insurance companies currently deny because of preexisting conditions to loads of people. That 36,500 dollars per year per person will add up pretty quick. Every 10,000 people denied means a million dollars a day in penalties.

Incidentally, if the insurance companies still wish to continue denying coverage, they'll be helping pay the government's bills. it's a win-win.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
For some people yes, but many are denied for failing to report preexisting conditions even when they are not what the patient is being treated for. Others have chronic illnesses which will still allow them to live a long life. Insurance companies currently deny because of preexisting conditions to loads of people. That 36,500 dollars per year per person will add up pretty quick. Every 10,000 people denied means a million dollars a day in penalties.

I'm just sayin' that if the insurance company has a policy holder that needs a $80,000 life saving operation due to a pre-existing condition, the insurance company may elect to just pay the fines for a year and see if the patient dies first.

The fine just isn't big enough, it's a fucking joke.

The bill is essentially a fine piece of Republican legislation.

Obama is turning out to be one of the best Republican presidents that we've ever had.

He's a pussy and he sold us out to the insurance companies.

Let's hope to GOD that the reform bill gets reformed. :confused:

Medicare for all would have been simple and effective.

Support Alan Grayson's bill HR-4789.

He's got 60 co-sponsors already... call your local representative and tell them to support the bill.

callmedafonz

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:smile: :smile: :smile:

I Voted for Obama
and all I got
Was a Historic
Health Care Bill!

:smile: :smile: :smile:​
:

ummmmm........history isnt always good!! the plan hasnt even started yet. obama is a smart man, what he did was set up all the taxes hikes to start after he is out of office (be it a first term or second term). He did pass the buck to the next president...he is fully aware that a dem will not be in office after him, be it one or two terms

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I wonder if the states realize what they are doing by suing for repeal. Their claim is that nothing in the Constitution allows the government to force its citizens to buy anything that is privately owned. It can collect money itself, but forcing everyone to buy something from somebody is a no-no. Many of these people are deathly afraid that this bill will end up being nationized healthcare, but they are making the strongest case thus far to make it so.

Incidentally, if the insurance companies still wish to continue denying coverage, they'll be helping pay the government's bills. it's a win-win.

And by such reasoning, no one should be made to buy car insurance? But fortunately, it's a requirement enforced by all states and the federal government -- no care insurance, no money for roads. :biggrin1:

D

deleted15807

Perhaps if the US spent less on the military than the rest of the world combined, we might save a few hundred million per year. :rolleyes:

It's already been established that the right wing and even parts of the center suffer from extreme paranoia. Cutting defense would only serve to heighten that paranoia. It's a non-starter. Ronald Reagen rode into town with a 'strong defense' message and that message still resonates 30 years later. God, Guns and Gays.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Before this bill was signed. The staus quo was that private companies gave Student loans. The GOVERNMENT guaranteed them to the insurance companies. So, the banks made a profit off of the loans while the federal Government, through their guarantees, assumed ALL the risk and cost of loan defaults. This bill cuts out the middleman and allows the GOVERNMENT to make the profits while assuming the risk.Now the government will be the one making student loans. This will allow the government the ability to offer MORE student loans.