Left wing misunderstanding: We need more money for education

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wyldgusechaz, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

2. sargon20

Gold Member

Thank GOD for those tax cuts.....and thank GOD the Chinese are buying our debt!!

[SIZE=+2]Federal Deficit Estimated at Near-Record $407B[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]By Lori Montgomery
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, September 9, 2008; 3:21 PM
    [/SIZE]
    Weak revenue growth and accelerated spending -- including an economic stimulus package that returned billions to taxpayers -- will drive the federal deficit to $407 billion in the fiscal year that ends this month, more than double last year's $161 billion, congressional budget analysts reported today.

With the economy expected to remain sluggish for at least the next several months, the next president will take office facing a projected deficit of $438 billion, budget analysts predict -- the largest in dollar terms in American history, exceeding the previous record of $413 billion in 2004. And that number could easily climb above $500 billion if Congress acts, as expected, in the coming months to restrain the growth of the alternative minimum tax, budget analysts said.

In January, congressional budget analysts had estimated the deficit would be only $219 billion by year's end. This summer, however, the White House estimated that that number was likely to spike to $389 billion because of new spending.

Democrats seized on the deficit figure to lambaste the Bush administration and Republicans in general.

3. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

This is NOT an eighth grade exam...

THis is, at most, a test to Qualify to Teach or administer an eighth grade class.

The giveaway is question 4 under arithmetic.

This is clearly a question relating directly to school adminsitration and class costing. It uses special terminology implying a basic understanding of administrative concerns have no bearing on math per se.

Employing critical thinking skills cuts thru a lot of BS on the intertubes.

And, BTW--- I could answer all of the grammar question in eighth grade... used to be, you had to learn grammar.

4. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    I got hung up on math question no.2--how big is a bushel?

And Phil, I'm inclined to agree...but that might have been considered relevant for the students at the time. A question relating to the running of school...well they're in school, they can relate to that.

Regardless, education needs a bit more than throwing money at its current state. But I think that both the left and right would agree with that.

#4 Qua, Sep 9, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  5. B_phe1249

B_phe1249 New Member

Approx. 7% has been allocated from the federal budget for Dept of Education annually ever since 1953, alot of talk but not any real change regardless of which party is at the helm.

6. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'd agree. There are lots of things parents can do to improve the situation at schools.

But I'd also warn that cutting public school budgets (or gradually letting them fall behind inflation) isn't going to help at all.

7. Notthe7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The educational system needs a body lift... a full BODY lift.

Slightly off topic but just THIS semester alone, my friends and I have felt the swaying of the status quo.

About seven of my friends who all received loans/grants last semester were denied or received a substantial less from FAFSA.

Times, they are changing.

Draft saved Draft deleted