Leg of Lamb for Easter Dinner

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dickbulge, Mar 26, 2005.

1. dickbulge

dickbulge New Member

Sorry if you may be vegan or vegitarian but why are you reading this topic anyway?

To the matter at hand: I am getting ready for Easter dinner and I seem to have mis-placed my favorite recipe for roasting a leg of lamb. Already have lemons, fresh rosemary, and garlic but can't remember rest of ingrediants.

Can any one help with my lost recipe or have one to suggest? Needless to say recipe must take less than 24 hours to prepare and have available ingrediants.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Imported

Gold Member

hung_big: Use anything basically. Lamb isn't all too hard to prepare:

Salt
    Pepper
    Fav meat tenderizer
    Lemon (near the middle of baking)
    Rosmary
    Garlic (I prefer lots)

Lamb gives a good taste if prepared right, and if you have cooked it before, there isn't too much you can mess up on.

3. Max

Max New Member

I agree with all the above; drizzle a little olive oil over once you have inserted the rosemary and garlic into little openings in the meat (made with the point of a knife).

Beforehand slice some large spuds (not too thinly, and no need to peel them), arrange them in layers on a roasting tray and add seasoning and a little oil. Then put them in the preheated hottish oven with the lamb on a shelf above the tray, so the meat juices can drip onto them. Turn the heat down after about 20 minutes or so. UK gas mark 4, I would say. (Not sure what the equivalent is.) When you remove the lamb to carve, the potatoes could be crisped up a bit by turning the heat back up.

Good luck!

4. Imported

Gold Member

hung_big: Very Creative Max...I like it. Especially the meat juices dripping down on the potatoes..YUMMY!

So there's yer lamb...NOW GET COOKING! ;)

5. zzorus

zzorus New Member

I agree with all the above; drizzle a little olive oil over once you have inserted the rosemary and garlic into little openings in the meat (made with the point of a knife).

Beforehand slice some large spuds (not too thinly, and no need to peel them), arrange them in layers on a roasting tray and add seasoning and a little oil. Then put them in the preheated hottish oven with the lamb on a shelf above the tray, so the meat juices can drip onto them. Turn the heat down after about 20 minutes or so. UK gas mark 4, I would say. (Not sure what the equivalent is.) When you remove the lamb to carve, the potatoes could be crisped up a bit by turning the heat back up.

Good luck!
    [post=294208]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Or simply have the potatoes under the lamb in the same baking tray. I add a pound of sliced onions to the sliced potatoes when I cook lamb in this way. Lots of garlic too.

6. KinkGuy

Gold Member

dickbulge,
    what time's dinner? we'll all be over. i'll bring the wine.
    :p

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Redneck Leg of Lamb

Open can of Spam
    Microwave to taste
    Slice and serve

8. dickbulge

dickbulge New Member

Thanks everyone!

At about 8 hours to dinner I chopped up a mix of consisting of a lot rosemary, a lot of garlic, fresh thyme, fresh mint, grated lemon rind, EVO, and s&p. Slathered this in bone cavity and tied up leg. I'll use the meat thermometer to determine when done.

I roast it with the fat layer up, right? I think original recipe wanted lamb roasted with peeled sliced lemons under and over the leg.

I'm having asparagas, roast potatoes, and salad of spring greens. Simple, yes?

Kink: aperitifs at 5 and dinner at 6. You set next to me and your SO can set next to elderly lesbian neighbor. Be nice to her, wine and afterdinner port are from her extensive celler.

Southwest 696 leaves Albuquerque at 12:50

9. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Hey bulge,
    I couldn't get on SW696 but Delta 3980 gets in at 5:05pm. Too late for dinner? BTW, who said I was bringing the SO?

10. dickbulge

dickbulge New Member

:rolleyes: perfect - 20 minutes from airport

Draft saved Draft deleted