Leg Workout for Men

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by wellhung9, May 31, 2010.

1. wellhung9

wellhung9 New Member

I workout my legs about twice a week, and although they are well defined they are very skinny. I am pretty skinny, but my upper body has more mass to it. I know I am probably doing too many reps: i do about 4 sets on squat at ten to twelve reps, and then do the same on leg press. I should probably up the weight and do less reps but I get scared without a spotter. Any tips from someone who knows what they're doing would be great. I do take weigh protein, don't take creatine, and would never even consider steroids.

2. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    what kind of squads are you doing? A good one is usually the hack squad, because you have support for the back, you don't go into mistakes like rounding that and you make clean reps rather easily, which makes it easier to max the weight without help of another person. What muscles exactly do you want to add mass to anyway?

3. wellhung9

wellhung9 New Member

Not sure what the name of the squats I'm doing are. I'm pretty sure it's the classic/normal way. I am trying to add mass to my quads, butt and hamstring, and I guess my calfs too to keep everything in proportion. Obviously I wanna keep the muscle tone/definition too. Honestly, I want to add mass to my butt the most.

4. thetramp

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    okay, so i guess your just doing the a barbell squad, with a normal barbell your neck doing a knee bend kind of motion, that is a good exercise for the gluteal muscles, and therefore not bad for you since this is the area you want to focus on the most.
    The problem is, it is a difficult one to master, because form is very important to isolate the muscles you want to train and to stay away from harm you could cause to your back.
    It is very important that your back stays straight and your head up, your torso should go forward to a degree of about 45, but no further, that on the one end isolates the gluts that goes back and down. Try do do this first with a weight you are positive you can master cleanly, do 10-12 reps, memorize how the motion felt and add a little weight, make sure to still make it clean, but you can with the extra weight compromise a little on the reps. When you could do 12 cleanly the first set try to add just as much weight that you still can do 10 clean, for the 3rd set you do the same and your goal is 8 clean reps.

if you got access to a hack squad machine, you should to that, because it supports your back, you don't have to worry about balance as much and can really focus on the legs.
    Normally you go as far as a 90 degree bend of your legs, but to gain mass at your butt you can just go a little further down, that gives you a lot of control of the intensity without having to add weight, and the support of the machine anyway makes the exercise more forgiving when it comes to mistakes.

Another one i like a lot is the lying leg curl, i am not so much about mass, i just need to stay fit for my sports, but it is something that i feel does a lot for the hamstring and the gluteal muscles.

Calfs are if you ask me the hardest part to gain mass, i know guys working on that a lot without getting the results they want, but keeping it in proportion should be doable.

5. davidhayter72

davidhayter72 New Member

Leg presses, Squats, Lying Leg Curls, Leg Extensions Do 6 sets with 8-10 reps for each and then for calves do seated or standing calves 10 sets and reps to failure for those. . my thighs are 30 inches around and my calves are 19 and there is no fat so trust me thats the best to do :)

6. doesitmattter

doesitmattter New Member

Try the hack squat machine so you work your legs and less pressure on your neck and back. Cut you reps down to 8-10 but increase your weight.
    Varying the position of your feet will guarantee the area (glutes) your trying to work. When you push the weight up you can feel with your hand what muscles are being worked and adjust your feet accordingly. 3-4 sets is sufficent. Also some leg extentions or curls wil help.

7. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

one of my massive buds once told me that legs couldn't be overworked, so go hit 'em, and don't hold back on the reps or frequency

8. wellhung9

wellhung9 New Member

Ok I forgot to mention my legs are extremely sore, pretty much around the knee area. I think I used the wrong setting doing the leg press machine. my knees and legs were really bent. It has been 4 days now and im still having trouble walking. any suggestions? bengay?

9. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    That doesn't sound like too many reps to me. That's pretty close to what I do, and I've gotten satisfactory results (for me). I've never seen evidence in my own case to support the idea that heavier weights with fewer reps will produce gains in muscle mass. I find that if the weight is so heavy that I can't do at least eight reps with it then it is difficult to be sure that I am completing the movement with the proper form, and with some exercises it feels positively unsafe unless I quit well before reaching my momentary limit.

I have tried squats and found them awkward. They just feel "wrong" to me. Since I don't have a trainer or a partner, I just use a leg press machine.

I've heard that leg extension machines can put a lot of stress on your knees, so I rarely use them.

By the way, the product that you are thinking of is whey (not "weigh") protein. I've tried creatine and have never been able to discern any gains from the use of it.

10. magic7

magic7 New Member

Calfs seem almost impossible to get bigger, it seems like they are more of a genetic thing. I like leg extensions, but mostly do running to get a good leg workout. Try sprinting as fast as you can for 20 seconds, walk for 4 minutes, and repeat 6 times. Believe me this will give your legs, and whole body a workout. never really used a squat rack, because I am worried I'll blow the form and mess up my back.

11. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Muscle growth is all about progression in the gym and diet (eating). So, I would ask you to reflect on the following questions:

Are you progressing with your squats? Meaning: are you adding weight about once per week? Are you keeping the weight the same and going DEEPER (farther below parallel) to recruit more muscle fibers before adding weight?

Do you know what you caloric needs are in order to maintain body weight? Once you know that, eat 500 cals above to gain, on average, one pound per week. Of your total diet, you should eat at least 1.5 g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Once you gain about 5-6 pounds, you will need to re-assess your caloric needs and eat even more to keep gaining/progressing.

My legs are by no means gigantic, but I have been hitting them hard with Squats (on hack sled as my back is bad as well), leg presses, leg curls, leg extensions, and seated and standing calf raises and have seen some good improvements.

If you are not seeing growth and you are progressing in the gym and eating enough, then my suggestion would be to train hamstrings separately from quads and calves on different days of the week (when you do back or shoulders, for example). Most limited muscle growth can be fixed with weight progression and food.

Good luck!

12. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Some people are gifted with naturally huge calves. The rest of us have to work to get to them (still working here).

My thoughts on exercises: seated calf raises, standing calf raises, donkey calf raises, calf raises in the 45 degree leg press machine. Very heavy weights with varying rep ranges. If they are not growing, calves can be trained up to 4 times per week (I don't, but I know guys who do and have seen results).

Draft saved Draft deleted