legal age of adulthood in north carolina

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by mephistopheles, Apr 20, 2007.

1. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    can anyone tell me, and perhaps gimme a linky to a website explaining, the age of adulthood in north carolina?

please and thank you,

Mephisto Murphy:biggrin1:

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

3. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

4. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm asking for the legal age to move out of your parents house.

thnk kink, that link doesnt work

5. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I've tried my damndest, but I can't find anything. If I were you, I would just call the nearest courthouse and ask them. Surely they would know.

6. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

The age of majority in North Carolina is indeed 18, as per North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 7B (Juvenile Code) Article 1 (Definitions) §7B-101(14):

Chapter 7B - Article 1

However, eligible applicants over the age of 16 may petition a court for a decree of emancipation, as per North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 7B (Juvenile Code) Article 35 (Emancipation). Note, though, in particular, that (§7B-5303): "The petitioner has the burden of showing by a preponderance of the evidence that emancipation is in the petitioner's best interests. Upon finding that reasonable cause exists, the court may order the juvenile to be examined by a psychiatrist, a licensed clinical psychologist, a physician, or any other expert to evaluate the juvenile's mental or physical condition. The court may continue the hearing and order investigation by a juvenile court counselor or by the county department of social services to substantiate allegations of the petitioner or respondents."

Chapter 7B - Article 35

In other words, a decree of emancipation would be very much the exception to the rule, and would be agreed to only in special, proven sets of circumstances.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice