legal age of adulthood in north carolina

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by mephistopheles, Apr 20, 2007.

1. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    can anyone tell me, and perhaps gimme a linky to a website explaining, the age of adulthood in north carolina?

please and thank you,

Mephisto Murphy:biggrin1:

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

3. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

4. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm asking for the legal age to move out of your parents house.

thnk kink, that link doesnt work

5. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I've tried my damndest, but I can't find anything. If I were you, I would just call the nearest courthouse and ask them. Surely they would know.

6. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

The age of majority in North Carolina is indeed 18, as per North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 7B (Juvenile Code) Article 1 (Definitions) §7B-101(14):

Chapter 7B - Article 1

However, eligible applicants over the age of 16 may petition a court for a decree of emancipation, as per North Carolina General Statutes Chapter 7B (Juvenile Code) Article 35 (Emancipation). Note, though, in particular, that (§7B-5303): "The petitioner has the burden of showing by a preponderance of the evidence that emancipation is in the petitioner's best interests. Upon finding that reasonable cause exists, the court may order the juvenile to be examined by a psychiatrist, a licensed clinical psychologist, a physician, or any other expert to evaluate the juvenile's mental or physical condition. The court may continue the hearing and order investigation by a juvenile court counselor or by the county department of social services to substantiate allegations of the petitioner or respondents."

Chapter 7B - Article 35

In other words, a decree of emancipation would be very much the exception to the rule, and would be agreed to only in special, proven sets of circumstances.

Draft saved Draft deleted