Legal medical marijuana

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, maybe it's o.k. for some people, but I've heard lots of times from managers who work in manufacturing (and other heavy equipment trades) that many good paying positions go unfilled because the applicants oftentimes show up high to the interviews. These guys aren't even making it to the drug test stage of the process. I can only wonder--why can't a person not use if he knows he's going for a job interview? Just put it off for a couple hours.

Maybe it's pot, maybe it's not pot. I don't know. Maybe it's oxycontin or vicodin. (but that's a whole 'nother thread)

ScruffyJewPapi

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
While people love to make the alcohol comparison, one thing alcohol doesn't do is make the people around you automatically drunk. The recent popularity of vaporizers has actually been a boon for me personally--vapor doesn't travel the way smoke does and second-hand exposure is kept to a minimum even if they're vaping in the car in front of me.

That said, I've gotten used to driving with the air recycler turned on. I just can't risk it, and enough people are blowing smoke on the 101 to make me afraid of what might happen if I get hit with a plume during rush hour.

It is the way I feel when I smell cigarettes, well not literally the same way but yeah. I am not a cigarette smoker but the smell gets me nausea's, gives me a real bad headache and just makes me feel like crap all around for a bit...too bad I can't tell my neighbor to close her window when she chain smokes...but then again I wouldn't do that to her cause I smoke from my bong and my windows are usually left open.

ScruffyJewPapi

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'd be more than happy to take another driving test with a police officer and driving instructor after smoking a large amount of weed to prove I can still drive safely if it meant I could go about my daily business without feeling like I could go to jail any time I drive.

If readers can't tell, this is something I'm pretty passionate about. I'm not just some pot head who does nothing but lounge around and eat and who can't function like a normal, sober person in society. I know many people like myself, who are not a threat to society and who enjoy using weed on a regular basis. I just feel like we should be able to do that without being criminalized/punished for it.

Some may claim they wouldn't want their tax dollars paying city/state workers to perform these tests and bla bla, but it's not like our tax dollars don't get burnt the fuck up in this 'war on drugs' as it already is. I'd prefer my money be spent on managing driving safety than locking people up and killing each other over the same damn drug.

100% agree. I am the exact same way. 100% productive and I smoke every single day, morning, afternoon when I can, evening and night. I have been smoking for 12 years now and people can't even say I'm a low life! I am under 30 years old and quite successful and I am still striving for more...while smoking pot haha. I 100% understand you and I appreciate your passion towards the subject because I am the same way and feel the same way! I mean the guy I am dating smokes as much as I do and he works for a multi BILLION dollar company that will remain nameless at the moment haha but yeah I agree and appreciate your passion :)

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Well, maybe it's o.k. for some people, but I've heard lots of times from managers who work in manufacturing (and other heavy equipment trades) that many good paying positions go unfilled because the applicants oftentimes show up high to the interviews. These guys aren't even making it to the drug test stage of the process. I can only wonder--why can't a person not use if he knows he's going for a job interview? Just put it off for a couple hours.

Maybe it's pot, maybe it's not pot. I don't know. Maybe it's oxycontin or vicodin. (but that's a whole 'nother thread)

Of course some people can't function when they're high, whether it's pot or not.. but the majority of regular pot smokers I know (which would be my whole family, and most of my friends) function on it as if it was just like smoking a cigarette. Those are the people I would say should have the option of taking an extra driving test or pass a "functional-ability" test of some sort if they choose to smoke before work, or during a lunch break.

The Kottonmouth Kings, a musical group I'm quite fond, of said it best: A man should be judged by the quality of his Work, not the quality of his Piss.

My main point is simply that if drugs like alcohol and tobacco can be legal for 'responsible adults' why is pot still off the table?
My other point, is that marijuana isn't like other intoxicating substances. When you built up a tolerance as a regular user it doesn't damage your nerves or continue to 'intoxicate' your brain. It's a nuanced situation, no doubt. But, I feel strongly that I should not be punished for my use because my use has no negative impact on anyone else.. but for some reason my actions are still 'illegal'.

Bullshit.

Anyway, I feel like I'm kinda taking over the thread, so I'll just be on my way to something I don't get so firey about lol..

Guy-jin

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Well, with regards to driving and the law, it's really the law of averages. People like myself, who can have a blood alcohol level of 0.1% and still be stone cold sober, have to be careful because for the average person, a blood alcohol level like that makes them unable to safely drive. I don't get special treatment just because I have Superman's liver, unfortunately.

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I live in Colorado where cannabis is both medical and recreational.
The sky hasn't fallen. I think there would be more users if your employer couldn't fire you for using it.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Justin Trudeau's Battle for Legal Weed in Canada Is Going to Be a Total Mess

Newly-elected Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has repeatedly promised to "legalize, regulate, and restrict" access to marijuana for recreational use in Canada, making it the first G7 nation to do so.

Justin Trudeau's Battle for Legal Weed in Canada Is Going to Be a Total Mess
  • untitled-article-1449769169.jpg
The air was thick and everyone was giddy at the grand opening of one of Toronto's newest marijuana shops, one of a dozen that have popped up here over the last few weeks. No one seemed to care about, or even notice, the police car idling just outside.

Hundreds of people dropped by 416 Medicinal that day to celebrate and to partake of the special deals — like $100 ounces of medical marijuana and free edibles for new members. Attendees also got to hang out with Canada's cannabis activist power couple, Marc Emery and his wife Jodie, who were flown in to "budtend" the occasion, helping patients select the best product to soothe their ailments.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

the year when the US president pardons a myriad of persons huh, no matter what, its his perogative .

Two Guys Are Serving Life in Prison for Weed — But Obama Is Letting Them Out Early

Two Guys Are Serving Life in Prison for Weed — But Obama Is Letting Them Out Early | VICE News

Twenty-five years ago, Charles Cundiff, a father of three who worked in a garden store, was traveling to Tallahassee, Florida, to buy some pot. He ended up getting busted in a DEA sting operation, and was charged with two counts of conspiracy to import and distribute marijuana. Because of two minor offenses for growing and possessing marijuana that were already on his record, he was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Cundiff wasn't the only US citizen who expected to be locked up for life over weed. William "Billy" Ervin Deckle, a Marine Corps veteran and aviation enthusiast who was arrested in the early '90s for flying planeloads of marijuana into Florida, was also sentenced to life behind bars. But lucky for them, times have changed.

CUBE

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't want to offend anyone. So many people want it legal. My feeling is that people just don't follow laws and it's all out of hand. Look at the cell phone laws driving. People know it's dangerous and simply think the law is ok to break even if it hurts others on the road. I don't see pot users I know as being real go getters in life after they are using. Again, my experience only. I also react to the smell not unlike perfume on people. It's too much on my nose and an intrusion. That being said. Of course as a medical aid all for it. If a cancer patient can find pain relief of course of course of course. Ok, rake me over the coals now. Cheers fellas

Reactions: rbkwp and Hoss

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Anyone else in a legal "medical marijuana" state? I live in Massachusetts and have a legal MMJ Patient card. I have a paralyzed stomach(gastroparesis) which qualifies me. So far in our state there are only three legal dispensaries open. None are close to me. So the law allows me to hire "private caregivers" to grow and supply me with medicine. It can only be done with direct delivery to my home.
It's actually working really well. I go to their websites and browse their menu. I call my order in. And they deliver the next day. All legal. The big website for the legal marijuana market is leafly.com. For example, here is the website of my favorite caregiver.(I just got an 1/2 ounce of Godberry) It's beautiful to look at and kills my nausea!
www.leafly.com: South Coast Caregivers Marijuana Delivery East Taunton, MA

now back to topic...

For people who need m.j. for medical reasons, I have no problem. It helps for many and for that alone should be legal in all states. A law passed at the federal level would clear away any difficulties for knowing if a person would be safe if they crossed a state line.

Now to the other stuff. For personal use, I don't care for it. Too many people start off inocently enough but after years and years of their so called recreational usage, they're perpetually buzzed...not at their top potential. Happens with most chemicals, whether it's m.j., speed, alcohol or something else. I've had times where even a prescription pain medication reaches into me and makes me believe I'm functioning 100%. Then I stop using it and realize what I'd missed.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I guess there is a broad range of reactions to pot. I was a regular user for 25 years and wish I had not been. It makes me procrastinate and feel dull. Yes there is the initial high, but within a few minutes I'm feeling stupid and distracted. These days I use it once or twice a year and enjoy a toke whenever I go to Amsterdam. I'd never hire regular smoker to do complex tasks. I worked with too many over the years and mostly they have very little get up and go and lateness seems to be a trait.

That said, I think it should be fully legal for adults and that it less harmful than alcohol, or any other intoxicant.

Reactions: ronin001

ScruffyJewPapi

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I guess there is a broad range of reactions to pot. I was a regular user for 25 years and wish I had not been. It makes me procrastinate and feel dull. Yes there is the initial high, but within a few minutes I'm feeling stupid and distracted. These days I use it once or twice a year and enjoy a toke whenever I go to Amsterdam. I'd never hire regular smoker to do complex tasks. I worked with too many over the years and mostly they have very little get up and go and lateness seems to be a trait.

That said, I think it should be fully legal for adults and that it less harmful than alcohol, or any other intoxicant.

Funny, seems you were hiring the wrong smokers, lol. I have been smoking for the past maybe 12-13 years. Medical purposes and recreational purposes. I do not drink though. I smoke morning, afternoon, evening and night, every single day and the "trait" you assume is because of the pot might be true but it isn't for everyone. It is like saying that I can;t stand the way cigarettes smell; it makes people stink...might just be a trait. Some people don't stink despite them smoking cigs. I'm an executive assistant to a CEO/Risk Manager and just started my own company on the side. I am doing pretty damn well for being under 30 and being a heavy smoker. You are right, there is a broad range of reactions to pot because I do not procrastinate with pot, nor do I feel dull, after the initial high I am feeling great, ready to work, or build something, paint something, I'm just ready for life!

I know i am not the only one or a rare case because my best friend is the same way and he works for...a company with a fruit name I shouldn't name haha , my partner has been smoking a lot longer than I have and smokes as much and is at the top of his game at a mutli million dollar movie industry so i really dont think lateness and little get up are traits of pot smokers. I think the first part, when you said there is a broad range of reactions, I think that is perfect. I think that is true because like you I have also seen the opposite. Lazy and useless and they give people like me and the people I know a bad name.

ScruffyJewPapi

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I hope there is no correlation between smoking and maintaining an erection / sexual performance.

I think if there was we would of heard about it already, I know smokers that are over 60 and have no issues getting an erection. At least they claim they don't...lol

Laced

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm in Cali and weed may as well be decriminalized here. The cops basically do not enforce the ban and getting a prescription is a cakewalk. Dispensaries are a dime a dozen, and tons of people are growing themselves.

Which I guess is great for people who it is helping.

Who it's not great for is me.

I have extremely bad reactions to even second-hand marijuana exposure. I get extremely dizzy almost instantly and it gives me a pounding headache along with the spins. I've had some real scares where some douchebag in front of me on the highway let's fly a massive plume of marijuana smoke out of their window which hits my car and immediately sends my head (and vision) into a topspin. The only solution for me is to literally just sit there and stare into space waiting for it to pass.

And before a resident MJ fan gets in my grill about it--yes, I've tried it. I've tried it quite a bit. And the experience has been consistently unpleasant and even dangerous.

As this drug becomes more commonplace, I hope we start being able to study it more openly so that people like me can be understood. I also hope there are safe places for people who have bad reactions to second-hand exposure.

While people love to make the alcohol comparison, one thing alcohol doesn't do is make the people around you automatically drunk. The recent popularity of vaporizers has actually been a boon for me personally--vapor doesn't travel the way smoke does and second-hand exposure is kept to a minimum even if they're vaping in the car in front of me.

That said, I've gotten used to driving with the air recycler turned on. I just can't risk it, and enough people are blowing smoke on the 101 to make me afraid of what might happen if I get hit with a plume during rush hour.

That's quite interesting to hear that it affects you like that. Humans are actually naturally equipped with canniboid receptors, which means we're prepared to receive the benefits that weed/THC can bring us. Now those symptoms like the dizziness and stuff is quite interesting and I'd love to hear why marijuana doesn't help you the way it helps me. Living in Los Angeles myself, I have found a plethora of other "potheads" who are actually quite productive so that's just a misleading stereotype that people won't understand.

MJ most definitely does help me with my health issues and I'm so excited to see this so-called "gateway drug" finally get the recognition that it NATURALLY deserves. ;)