Legalise all drugs - police chief

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dong20, Oct 11, 2007.

1. dong20

Gold Member

"Controversial police chief Richard Brunstrom has called for the legalisation and regulation of all drugs in a new report.

Mr Brunstrom, the chief constable of North Wales, described the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 as "not fit for purpose" and "immoral" and urged its repeal.
    Mr Brunstrom, in a report to North Wales police authority, described the current UK drugs strategy as "unwinnable".

He said: "The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 should be repealed and replaced by a new Substance Misuse Act based upon the legalisation and careful regulation of all substances of abuse in one consistent manner."

"Most importantly, the current system illogically excludes both alcohol and tobacco."

I applaude the concept, but I don't see it happening anytime soon, predjuce will generally trump common sense, or even fact.

Legalise all drugs - police chief - Yahoo! News UK

2. ChicagoWuff

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm hard-core anti-drugs... But I think outlawing them is ridiculous. They should be legalized, regulated, and taxed the fuck out of!

3. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

Imagine what could be done in the areas of education and counseling if all the money and energy being spent on catching, trying, and incarcerating drug sellers and users was redirected!

Surely this is an area where an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

4. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's an interesting sound bite but I'm not sure how I see it making any real difference. ALL drugs? Really?

Sure, legalize MJ, but the rest of them? Under what legal circumstances would they issue LSD or heroin to someone? Crack? PCP?

C'mon. Any who are not able to get it through legal means will still get it through their regular distributor and without the tax. Legalizing the drugs just creates legal trafficking channels which will act as blinds for the illegal traffic to hide within.

5. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

I think you are helping make my point. The drugs are going to make their ways to those who want them no matter what you do... supply and demand and so on. Doesn't it make sense to do what you can to curb the demand? How better to do that than through education and counseling?

6. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

I've recently come to realize that the anti-drug industry is too entrenched for large-scale legalization to take place.

The anti-drug industry consists of the alcohol and tobacco lobbies, who don't want competition. It consists of the police lobby - who are opposed to change generally, and definitely to any measures that might eventually reduce the number of police officers required. And it includes anti-drug politicians and "experts" who have built careers on this issue and can't afford to change their positions, unfounded as said positions might be.

7. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

Yes, but change is inevitable. Do we make it consciously and thoughtfully, or do we succumb to it as it overwhelms us?

8. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree with you about education and counselling for curbing the demand but I'm not sure I see how it links to the legalization of all drugs. I think they are two separate issues.

Legalizing them won't reduce the amount of resources spent on patrolling contraband. Cigarettes are legal and there are plenty of resources spent on making sure they aren't sold illegally (ie. without the Gov getting their taxes paid on them). Tobacco and alcohol are already controlled substances and they provide an example of how legalization only creates an additional drain on resources. You have one department which patrols for illegal activities pertaining to each plus another department to regulate legal distribution and taxation.

From the limited details given in the article the only benefit I can see from this idea is a shiny new set of laws and some job creation. I don't see it alleviating drug abuse or drug related crimes.

9. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    MB, this question could be an entire thread all by itself.

10. Male Bonding etc

Gold Member

LOL, Gillette, you suggest I start yet ANOTHER thread?! Perhaps some other soul will run with this one!

Regarding legalization, I was clearly oversimplifying, but we jail an incredible number of people in the U.S. and a huge portion of those we detain are for drug related crimes. It represents a tremendous expense, one we can afford even less given the billions we are spending in Iraq (oh, THERE'S another thread too!). Furthermore, people imprisoned for drug crimes are then exposed to criminalizing elements in prison, and we are doing precious little to rehabilitate ANY of them, regardless of their crimes, before returning them to the streets.

11. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    When you're right, you're right.

The rehabilitation system is deeply flawed. All too frequently we take petty criminals and introduce them into a system which helps them to be more successful criminals. Yipes!

12. transformer_99

Gold Member

They are and Wal-Mart sells them for $ 4 a prescription ! :wink::cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted