Legalization of Marijuana

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

what say you all?

not just for allowing people the freedom they have with alcohol or tobacco to make their own decisions...

but for the extra added benefits and reasons

- taxation of said crop, both in production and consumption
    - Freeing up money from enforcement and legal waste
    - stops the unfairness of prosecution of non-violent "criminals"
    - Opens the way for legalization of hemp, a product with incredible possibilities that can help save cutting down forests, by replacing it with faster growing hemp crop.
    - provides a legal new economy for people in production and sales of hemp and marijuana
    - it is already the top cash crop in 12 states, is one of the top three cash crops in 30 states, and is one of the top five cash crops in 39 states. the value of U.S. marijuana production is estimated at $35.8 billion annually which is more than the combined value of corn and wheat

I am totally for it. With all the added tax revenues marijuana production and sale alone (excluding hemp as an industry) if it is taxed in the same way as alcohol and tobacco, the tax revenues and savings to law enforcement would be roughly 15 billion dollars a year... with that kind of money, (or more if we smartly raised taxes higher on booze and marijuana) we could actually use the money to start trying to get health care coverage for the 43 million uninsured americans...between marijuana taxes and hemp production, tax revenues from the product could doubtless contribute annually a huge revenue stream that has been "illegal" yet could literally save the lives of the 10s of millions without health insurance if we were smart.

If you had no health insurance, and could not afford it, but you would be covered if you knew that by other people simply being allowed to smoke a plant they enjoy, (same as anyone drinks a beer or smokes a cig etc.) would you vote for legaliztation, even if you yourself were not a user? Seems a fair tradeoff, no? (obviously i am simplifiying, but there is tens of billions annually to be gained from legalization)

what about you all?

what do you think?

2. lucky8

Gold Member

Agreed, but it would be really hard to control and regulate. Weed is soooo easy to grow without anyone knowing about it.

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I don't smoke, and don't smoke it, I have tried it a few times. I never got high. Once at work I smoked half a joint with a burnout in his van, I didn't get high, but had to make an emergency run to Wendy's.

I see no reason why it should not be legal. I also don't like the smell of it, it reminds me of smelly people. :biggrin1:

P.S. you should have made this a poll. :wink:

#3 Mem, Jun 18, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  4. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm for it....I think if we legalized it, controlled its potentcy, and put a tax on it....so many of our financial problems in the country would be helped. This includes prison overcrowding (most jails are full of people sentenced to several years for simple possession), free medical care/medicine, and so on. Let's all get on the boat and legalize pot.

5. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

oh good ol' chronic... how i miss you so.

6. hardcockcafe

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    im for it

7. lucky8

Gold Member

One of the largest obstacles for it politcally and medically right now are the way it is administered to the body. That is one obstacle that is going to be really hard for it to overcome too.

8. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Legalize it, tax it, end the decades long money drain that is the ''war on drugs'.

It should be unregulated like supplements.
    Let demand rule. There are a number of different strains and the high they offer varies, so like hoodia or any other supplement crap, people just have to learn which works best if at all.

9. lucky8

Gold Member

That's true, I would LOVE to be able to walk into a store and choose. I am a connousseur when it comes to my ganja

10. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

11. lucky8

Gold Member

Lol, I guess the government shouldn't have created so many drugs then

12. Rommette

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Marijuana side effects include physical problems like breathing difficulties and deteriorating physical abilities. Despite a popular belief, marijuana side effects speed up the heart, blood and breathing rate. The body is taxed more and this speeds up the aging process just like methamphetamines do. The marijuana side effects from this extra exertion on the body include a higher risk for lung cancer, heart attacks and strokes.
    Marijuana side effects also wreak havoc on the brain when the drug is used habitually. The natural chemical balance of the brain is disrupted affecting the pleasure centers and regulatory systems. The ability to learn, remember and adapt quickly to changes is impaired by marijuana use. Depression often occurs with marijuana usage, which feeds into the cycle of more drug use to treat the pain created by drug use. This cycle of addiction is very powerful and users soon find that they cannot stop using the drug even if they want to.

I know....i know booze and cigarettes do some of this but there's more below vvvvvvvv

Marijuana Can Lead To Permanent Erectile Disfuctions

The neurotransmitter acetylcholine in a mans brain and nervous systems can be gradually taken over by marijuana chemicals. The brain's acetylcholine and parasympathetic nervous functions are responsible for sustaining erection during sex. When the marijuana's chemicals replaces acetylcholine in the nervous synapses, your brain and autonomonic nervous functions become disordered - no erection (parasympathetic 2nd neurotransmitter Nitric Oxide and dilator cGMP; sympathetic beta-receptors) and no orgasm (sympathetic)

Once the marijuana's chemicals take over the interneurons or synapses, it is very difficult to kick it out of the brain and nervous systems.

It will take 2 or 3 months to cleanse the liver and interneurons/synapses for the patients with street drugs such as heroin, marijuana, ecstasy, and so on.

You can become fully impotent in few months. That is, when the parasympathetic nervous function to the penis is shut down by the brain due to the deficiency of neurotransmitter acetylcholine in the nervous synapses and interneurons, your penis will be dead forever. You cannot reach orgasm either due to the acetylcholine deficiency in the sympathetic ganglions and adrenal medulla, where acetylcholine helps link the sympathetic nervous functions for the release of norepinephrine and epinephrine that triggers orgasmic contraction in the pelvic contractive fibers.

Your seminal production and testicular functions will also be gradually shut down. Then, your ejaculation becomes less and less, and finally dried up. You will become fully impotent and ejaculate nothing. At that point, it will be too late for you to revive your sexual life.

Can booze and cigarettes do this to you? No orgasm for the rest of your life!

#12 Rommette, Jun 18, 2008
  13. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    Soon there'd be a chain of new "upmarket" stores for the fins connaisseurs in wealthier communities.

How about... Whole Weeds?

The stuff would be certified Kosher, USDA Organic and Free Trade...

The markup would be as high as you'd get on it...

14. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Legalization? FUCK THAT!!! The FIRST THING the government will say is "how much money can we make off this?" The convenience of being able to buy a dime bag at the gas station will be overriden by the fact that a $10 dimebag from the weedman will probably cost $30 or $40 if the government was selling it. Not to mention they probably wouldn't doctor it up the way marijuana growers do. It would probably be mid to low grade for high-grade prices. Fuck that.

To the people suggesting the harm of marijuana, my argument is MODERATION. Exercise is necessary but too much can literally kill you. I assume that people arguing the side effects of mary jane don't eat food with preservatives cuz they know what it does to your internals, and don't drive cars because they know what it'll do for our breathing air. I agree 100% that SOME people get more harm than good from weed. Using it to escape life/problems can hinder maturity, growth, and coping skills. But a donut a day is tasty while a dozen a day is a first class trip to the doctor. I never use pot to escape problems, simply to relax and enjoy jazz records. The harm of marijuana isn't general, it varies from person to person, especially since some people only smoke a few times a year. Smoking pot doesn't mean you do it 9 times a day like extreme smokers.

#14 marleyisalegend, Jun 18, 2008
  15. lucky8

Gold Member

Rommette, I have been smoking pot daily for a very good portion of my life, and everything you have just said is not true. EVERYTHING. Open a book. A real one.

16. lucky8

Gold Member

No way bro, you'd have tons of indpendent growers growing the best shit around. It would be so awesome. There would still be illegal dealers, and they would have to charge less because people would be able to buy a much better product at the local cafe. It's like alcohol now, people still make illegal moonshine but hardly anyone buys it because they can get better shit at the liquor store.

17. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Yes, smoking cigarette reduce your bodies ability to use oxygen and can lead to impotence. Alcohol poison you, destroys your liver.

What about the side effects of high fructose corn syrup and quadruple meat, triple cheese whoppers? Are we outlawing and throwing the people who eat and sell that shit into prison? :confused:

18. Rommette

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oh, I read plenty of books. This was pasted from what a doctor said and though knowing from experience is one thing....studying medicine for 8 years is another.

Also, drugs work on people differently so maybe thats a factor.

Goodnight everybody! Congrats to the Boston Celtics! :)

#18 Rommette, Jun 18, 2008
  19. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wouldn't the gov. try to regulate the growth if it were made legal? I'm sure there'd be a strong monopoly on pot.

AMEN. There are very few things we do that don't harm our bodies. Our digestive system isn't specifically capable of properly processing products from other animals (milk, eggs, etc..) but that doesn't stop us. Cigarettes and liquor are legal and alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs on Earth.

20. Lito

Lito New Member

I'm all for it. Make it legal already.

Draft saved Draft deleted