legendary artists or artists with credibility

Media
ok, now let's move on to a lighter subject.

How about those "legendary" artists like Elvis, The Beatles, Janis Joplin, and even Hendrix.
And how about those current artists that are a favorite of the critics like Bob dylan, radiohead, and even Sufjan stevens. No matter what they do it's GOLD!
How do you feel about them? Is there any particular artist that made history and you wonder why?! Is there any legendary artist that you just can't seem to appreciate their music?!

I'll go first: i don't get the beatles and pink floyd. I mean i understand that we wouldn't really have some of the bands that are around now and whose music i personally enjoy if it wasn't for those 2 bands coming out first but I don't get what their music is about. I find it dull and even boring.
Some people may say the same about The Doors but i love them! Now that I get!

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'll go first: i don't get the beatles and pink floyd. I mean i understand that we wouldn't really have some of the bands that are around now and whose music i personally enjoy if it wasn't for those 2 bands coming out first but I don't get what their music is about. I find it dull and even boring.
Some people may say the same about The Doors but i love them! Now that I get!
I like the "middle period" stuff by the Beatles, grew up with all those 60s ad 70s rock bands. I haven't listened to Pink Floyd in years, don't know how I still feel about them. All my friends seemed to worship Led Zeppelin, but they never really "did it" for me.

I like such a wide variety of music and styles and artists, your question goes beyond what I'm willing to type.

BlackCock85

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I love all the legends that everybody knows about, but I feel there are also some new legends and of course most of you know whom I speak of.......so I'll just leave it at that before people start throwing tomatoes at me :confused: :redface:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bob Dylan, he's written about ten million songs and only three of them are any good.
The Beatles, over a long career they only had a handful of songs of any value, all the stuff they had in the charts was abysmal, I dispute that we wouldn't have the bands we have now without the Beatles, they were lucky enough to find an empty niche before anyone else took it, if they hadn't filled that spot some other band would, at the same time they were out Gerry and the Pacemakers were also out and started off as well as the Beatles but failed to become as big as the Beatles despite them initially looking to be musically superior, I can't see them developing along the same lines as the Beatles but who knows?
Frank Sinatra - singer of dirges who always reminds me of those guys you get singing in Labour/Liberal/Conservative clubs, they can hold a tune but they're not going to set the world on fire, God knows how he came to be so popular.
Jonny Cash - surely the point of being a singer is that you sound good? He didn't.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Bob Dylan, he's written about ten million songs and only three of them are any good.
The Beatles, over a long career they only had a handful of songs of any value, all the stuff they had in the charts was abysmal, I dispute that we wouldn't have the bands we have now without the Beatles, they were lucky enough to find an empty niche before anyone else took it, if they hadn't filled that spot some other band would, at the same time they were out Gerry and the Pacemakers were also out and started off as well as the Beatles but failed to become as big as the Beatles despite them initially looking to be musically superior, I can't see them developing along the same lines as the Beatles but who knows?
Frank Sinatra - singer of dirges who always reminds me of those guys you get singing in Labour/Liberal/Conservative clubs, they can hold a tune but they're not going to set the world on fire, God knows how he came to be so popular.
Jonny Cash - surely the point of being a singer is that you sound good? He didn't.

Spoiled Princess,

Dylan has written some fine songs over the years, although I'm also not a big fan of his.

We all have our own opinions, but I think the Beatles were great. As much as I liked other 60's British bands, none of them 'grew' like the Beatles did in their music. I don't think another band has come close to being their equal since then (although U2 aint bad).

I agree on Sinatra. Never quite got what the fuss was about. Give me Tony Bennet anyday.

Johnny Cash. I agree he did not have a 'pretty' voice. However, I think some of the all-time best artists don't. Janis Joplin and Neil Young come to mind. I think they are/were great artists. Willie Nelson has a poor voice, but his phrasing and presentation make some of his stuff memorable.

On the other hand, a truly great voice is a wonder to hear. All the ladies singing today can't hold a candle to Dinah Washington. I'd like to lock Mariah Carey in a room for a week and make her listen to DW, and then come out to really use the gift God gave her.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Relax....This thread is not the end of the world.

lol...ok. A bit presumptious, aren't we?

And to the subject...I listen to electronic music mostly, so I'm really biased when I say that a lot of electronic music artists don't get enough attention. Granted, there are many great artists out there today and there have been in the past as well, but most of them turn into a product. Electronic music is behind each of your commercials and the scores for your films. Embrace it. :)

Some of my favorite artists:

Goldfrapp
Royksopp
Prodigy
Jamiroquai
Bjork
Aphex Twin
Squarepusher

Oh...and Danny Elfman! :) Danny Elfman doesn't gets barely any attention and he's done some seriously great work.

A band I don't get: fucking Pearl Jam.

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Amen about The Doors. (As you can tell from my sig line )

I'm very fond of Hendrix, Zeppelin and Neil Young.

But I agree with Heather LouAnna, I also like Electronic music.
But I tend to like the older stuff like Kraftwerk , New Order and
StereoLab.

Spamalot

Just Browsing
Media
Aphex Twin's method of composition: slamming the keyboard in a variety of positions.

Influence-wise... hmmm. Brian Eno has had a huge impact on music - he was really the first person to figure out how to commercialize synthesized music.
Also, David Bowie, who has always been able to be fresh and new.
Bah, I'm not going to get into this. I'll never stop.

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A voice of support for the Beatles:

• They wrote killer vocal harmonies.
  • With the limited recording technology of 40+ years ago, they -- along with George Martin -- were highly skilled sound engineers. Their recording quality was ahead of their time.
  • They understood musical traditions that came before them and integrated them well. Their first album, for example, included covers of songs by The Shirelles, The Isley Brothers, Carole King, and Burt Bacharach. Their next album expanded their repertoire to include tributes to Smokey Robinson, The Marvelettes, and Chuck Berry. They were one of the first acts to successfully bring "black" music to a "white" audience.
Did they sometimes miss the mark? Of course: "Yesterday", "Across The Universe", these are dreadful. But their successes -- "Can't Buy Me Love", "I'm Looking Through You", "And Your Bird Can Sing" -- are amazing.

Haha, well... I find large crowds flocking to an artist as an appreciable quality, though it might not be the music,. merely the marketing that is to be admired.

The most refreshing music I've heard in the past 3 years was on a street performer's custom-made album (Nick Didge / Elohims Child performing psychedelic Electronica/Dance with a traditional australian didgeridoo. note: I always wanted to do techno-didge as a child.). And the pain in Damien Leith's voice after he won Australian Idol makes me wonder just what exactly is being done to his extreme multifaceted talent during the packaging process.

One day I might post a list of liked artists in a brazen attempt to crash the internet.

BigA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't get the White Stripes. Reading Rolling Stone you'd think Jack White is the modern-day Bob Dylan. And who said Bob Dylan no good?