legendary artists or artists with credibility

BigA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I also don't care for Dave Mathews. :T It's just not the way I feel. I can't get into it. Most rock music I don't get. IF it sounds electronic though, like PInk Floyd or Radiohead, I dig it.

All hail Radiohead.

Well I loved Radiohead in high school cuz THATs the way I felt. They lost me on kidA. Haven't heard the last two i don't think. Those first three were amazing tho.

To add to the list... Beethoven for me. I'm not gonna be irreverent like SOME people here and say he no good. But it doesn't touch me, let's say.

BigA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't even know why yall are commenting on Dave Matthews. He's not that righly-regarded by critics. For instance not one album on Rollingstone's list of Top 500. DMB will probably be remembered for great live shows, desservedly so. But I'd say their studio records are vastly UNDER-rated.

2 cents

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm with SLB on this one, I abhor rap, gangsta rap, and hip-hop!
I LOVE rock, classic rock; old R&B! I sometimes listen to top 40 and have recently gotten into country. Not sure what category he goes into but I adore Andrea Bocelli.

I have no idea why anyone listens to Lisa Marie Presley, Courtney Love, Jessica or Ashlee Simpson.

Rap
Gangsta rap
WTF is this shit? Keep it out of my ears! Grr.

BigA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Also, to some extent, Nirvana. Especially Nevermind. I mean vh1 calls this the second greatest album ever made. I didn't get this when it came out.. wasnt that hip in 6th grade. But when I went back and got it I thought there next one "in Utero" I think, was better. Now, I could probably go the rest of my life without hearing Nirvana again, easy.

Nitrofiend

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Truth be told, it's difficult for me to name any legends that are overrated. There probably are a few but I can't think of any...

I appreciate a lot of different styles, and the artistic substance behind often musically-inept works (by any standard) can sway me favorably towards the less conventional. Not to mention that some artists were legends in their own time and just because what they did then is now cliche and commonplace, that doesn't make their original idea any less special when you consider the history behind it.

B_spiker067

Experimental Member
Media
I had an artist friend tell me once that I might not necessarily like the art I see but I should be smart enough to at the very least appreciate the process. He made the plates and another guy made the prints. The level of collaboration to get things done was phenomenal. I've tried to view all creative art through this lens.

What I fault musicians, especially long lived ones, is when they don't change their basic sound. Songs start sounding the same, no real genius. I like Green Day and the RHCP more because of the ballad like songs they do from time to time.

Also, between the music and the lyrics I first respect the lyrical genius and then the musical. Though I like guitar solos...

The Rolling Stones were a philosophical group at the very least.

Truth be told, it's difficult for me to name any legends that are overrated.
But I can think of many who are underrated. The Black Eyed Peas are the most recent artists to earn my admiration. (based purely on my own study)

Guess a few of my favorite genres would include...
Adult Contemporary, Album-oriented rock, Middle of the road, Acid house, Alternative rock, Agit-pop, Basement, Emo, Goth rock, Grunge, Indie rock, Shoegazing, Ambient, Ambient House, Arabesque music, Blues, Blues rock, Britpop, Baggy, Lion Pop, Thamesbeat, Urchin Rock, Cheese, Chinese rock, Contemporary Christian, Country music, Alt-country, Americana, Bluegrass, Big Beat, Clunk, Desert rock, Disco, Drum and bass, Easy listening, Lounge Music, Acid Lounge Music, Electronic music, Electronica, Electroclash, Elevator music, Enka, Eurodance, Folk, Gospel, Gabba, Garage, Happy Hardcore, Hard rock, Glam rock, Metal, Hair metal, Heavy metal, Nu metal, Progressive metal, Extreme metal, Poodle Rock, Hardcore techno, Hi-NRG, House music, Italo house, Indie Music, C86, Garage Rock, Scumpop, Urchin Rock, Industrial rock, Jazz, Big band, Smooth jazz, Swing, J-rock, Latin Pop, Lo-fi, Music hall, New Age, New Wave, The New Wave Of The New Wave, Northern Soul, Pop music, Baroque pop, Bubblegum pop, Cantopop, Dream Pop, Indie Pop, J-pop, Turkish pop music, Teenybopper music, Twee pop, Tweeny pop, Traditional pop music, Pop standards, Progressive rock, Psychedelic music, Acid rock, Punk rock, Post-punk, Punk-funk, Ragtime, Rave, Reggae, Dancehall, Reggaeton, Ragga, Rock and roll (rock), Romo, Rhythm and blues, Rhythmic, Ska, Southern rock, Tin Pan Alley, Trance music, Urban Music, Acid Jazz, Crunk, Funk, Hip hop, New Jack Swing, Rap Music, Chicano Rap, Swing Beat, UK Garage a.k.a Two-Step, World music, as well as countless underground, soundtrack, video game, bar room, orchestral, street performers, sea shanties, gypsy music and various other whatnot...

Not much into unoriginal consumer-oriented drivel, though. (unoriginal or consumer-orientated on their own are perfectly fine)

BigA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I remember in 1999 i made a list of my top 100 songs, just cuz it seemed like fun and i had too much time on my hands. It was totally subjective... i had 10-15 Radiohead songs and 15-20 DMB songs i think. If I were to do it again there still may be at least 10 DMB songs and many more Dylan... not sure what number one would be

BigA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
and the only Rolling Stones track I'd have on there is Waiting On A Friend.. a few Beatles tracks but not Hey Jude or Let It Be... no Zeppelin ramones or Sex Pistols. i'm just a big wuss i guess

Nitrofiend

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
what about the rolling stones

They may be more geriatric than electric nowadays but I acknowledge their status as rock legends.

well vh1 named i cant get no satisfaction as the greatest song ever written. I don't get it at all. I don't think the riff is ALL that amazing either.

Vh1 is not the music authority. Hell, I don't even have a favorite song -- period.

But I can think of many who are underrated. The Black Eyed Peas are the most recent artists to earn my admiration. (based purely on my own study)

They're not close to being legends. If they become legends, I will strongly disagree. Though I suppose Fergie's peeing of her pants onstage will one day be considered legendary.

BigA

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Rap
Gangsta rap
WTF is this shit? Keep it out of my ears!
Grr.

Well, i don't agree with rap artists being inducted to the rock n'roll hall of fame. Just as I don't think Bruce Springsteen would be inducted to the hip hop hall of fame, if there were such a thing