Lend me your ears

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I've been a huge Glenn Danzig fan for years; whether it's The Misfits, Samhain, Danzig, his Classical stuff, or his Graphic Novels, I've always really enjoyed pretty much everything he's ever done.

But a few months ago, maybe a year I heard of a japanese band called "Balzac" that is very Misfits-esque, so I decided to check them out.

I don't speak japanese, and they have horrible english dialect, but aside form that I really like Balzac... But there is one song I think they totally ripped off from Glenn's second band Samhain('83-'88).

The song is called "ArcAngel" and is relatively slow, but very good all the same.
And Balzac has a song called "Girls from Horrorwood" that has the same music, just different lyrics. I may be mistaken, you tell me what you think!

ArchAngel - Samhain - 5:10

Girls from Horrorwood - Balzac - 4:27

Listen carefully to the songs, I think that Balzac ripped this song off!

What do you think?

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm suprised nobody has replied.

Unfortunatly I can't give you any gems of wisdom, I couldn't stand either of them long enough to notice any similarities other than I hated them. :p

Thanks, but no help.

You don't really need to reply just to tell me how much you hate what I live for.

the misfits and balzac often work together, so i assume that they have used a song from danzig

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
the misfits and balzac often work together, so i assume that they have used a song from danzig

Actually, Balzac and the misfits rarely work together.

Balzac did a one song split with Jerry Only's New-fits called "The Day the Earth Caught Fire", which was a Balzac song. Aside from that Balzac has merely covered Misfits songs.

Also, this song from Samhain has nothing to do with the Misfits in the least. Danzig and Jerry Hate eachother and I doubt very much that Danzig would allow Jerry, or a band working with Jerry, to use a song he made 2 years after breaking the Misfits up.

Glenn Danzg has nothing to do with the Misfits and hasn't since October 1983.

BTW: Jerry Only is a fat, pompous, jackass of a sellout who deserves nothing but contempt and malice; I hope he dies slowly, and rots from the inside out, from AIDs. He deserves nothing more.

dannymawg

Experimental Member
Media
There's similar chords going on, but not a direct lift of the riffs - that'll happen a lot in rock (three chords, verse/chorus, etc.).

Lester Bangs sums it up best - "everything in rock is stolen" :biggrin1:

I got to see the outside of Danzig's house in LA when visiting there last year - pretty creepy. And there was a 70s Jaguar in the driveway. Very fitting for the goth lifestyle...

mephistopheles

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I got to see the outside of Danzig's house in LA when visiting there last year - pretty creepy. And there was a 70s Jaguar in the driveway. Very fitting for the goth lifestyle...

I'm sure its fitting and everything, though not to a goth, consdering that Danzig isnt, nor has he ever been gothic.

Eitherway, I suppose most things in rock are stolen, particularly from Chuck Berry.