Lennon or McCartney?

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
WTF was that all about?

:rolleyes:

Both were/are vegetarian, so they're all good to me.

(BTW, the Beatles were the ONLY rock group to ever evolve into 100% vegetarianism.)

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh- and just one more clarification since Flashy seems so totally lacking in comprehension of the idea.

please, continue the deranged lecture, king of art
Flashy, I know this is a complex and nuanced issue that is a little over your head. but please try and wrap your skull around this little complication.

this from the guy who jumps through any hoop no matter how absurd to justify even his most insane belief

There is no doubt in my mind that Paul McCartney is a much NICER guy than John Lennon ever was. I am certain Lennon was a PILL to be around.I know for a fact that McCartney was far less troubled than Lennon, far nicer and truer to his wife. A generous fellow with a good heart. I base this upon stories told about the guy... not upon anything revealed in his body of work.

Oh yeah, you know for a fact he was less troubled? You are such an ass Phil. Paul lost his mother at age 12, no trouble there. Who are you to say what troubles people? Just because he chose not to be an asshole & abuse his wife & kids does not mean he was "far less troubled". :rolleyes:

Not upon anything revealed in his worK? Are you nuts?
yeah, who could see these indications of niceness, fidelity, love & regret expressed & revealed in these songs he was chiefly responsible for.

Love Me Do
Yesterday
Blackbird
When I'm 64
Michelle
Yellow Submarine

You are full of shit. he reveals love, hope, fear, sadness, compassion. or are those not artistic elements?

But nice doesn't make you a great artist... communication does.

for an artist, you know fuck all about art.

McCartney's niceness & compassion contributed to Hey Jude. Is that not an "artistic" song? When Lennon could not be bothered to find compassion for his child, McCartney saw all the sadness in Julian & expressed love, understanding & support.

*THAT* is communication Phil *AND* art.

you are a shit artist.

As far as I know, McCartney is ALSO a man of conscience... although I doubt it.

You doubt it huh? you really are a true psychotic. Yeah, i mean, vegetarianism, animal rights, campaigs against land mines, campaigns to help the poor & disadvantaged all over the world to name a couple.

you need to redefine a "conscience" Phil, because you clearly don;t understand the definition of it.

Because conscience requires a public honesty about one's own failings,
and is the core of all great art, the fact that I get no feeling from any of Paul's work of any true personal crisis or change of heart, leads me to suspect that he has never undergone any great crisis of self doubt or self revelation.

Happy happy joy joy is NOT the mind of conscience...

you are truly full of shit.

conscience requires nothing public. You have changed the definition of conscience to suit your needs.

At the core of all great art, is great art. Since you have an improper definition of conscience that you use, your absurd contentions mean zilch.

to suggest McCartney's songs were "Happy Happy Joy Joy" & not indicative of conscience is horseshit.

If Paul HAD it... it would have come out in his music

i guess, Yesterday, Hey Jude, Blackbird, Let It Be, have no crisis, self doubt, revelation or conscience

honestly, how do you look in the mirror without exploding in laughter at your absurdity?

So you see how all your indictments of Lennon are meaningless? Its not about who's the nicer guy or who has the most consistent set of beliefs...

do you see how you are such an idiot since my indictments have never been against Lennon as artist? Or who is the nicer etc.?

I said in the *OP* that LEnnon was better, but he is certainly not the better man.

every critique i've made of Lennon has been about lennon the *MAN* not Lennon the artist. you just can't deal with it.
Its about whether you are open about yourself, and face the world as you truly are... face yourself as you truly are...

yeah, cause Yesterday, Hey Jude & other McCartney songs don't do that. he is just not an artist, only a sunshine pumper, while Lennon is Jesus...

doesnt really matter Phil, because fact is, Lennon could not have made even the slightest impact without Paul & vice versa. All Lennon's talents would never have flourished the way they did with McCartney.

the Beatles were a *BAND* not a solo act. Lennon for all his art, was not 1/5th the artist solo as he was when with Paul to write with...that is a fact.
Lennon was plagued with contradictions and foibles.

But he never hid them from us and the pain he suffered in coming to grips with them he shared with us.

ah, so you finally admit Lennon was a total hypocrite & of course, foible is a cute word for being an emotionally & physically abusive prick

McCartney was and still is a closed book, A very private man.

yeah nothing has ever come through in his work. :rolleyes:

You say you're an artist....but McCartney isn't.

you really do have a unique universe you live in, Phil

He may well be a very good man...
But he has given us no way of knowing that for sure.

you are truly nuts, phil. i mean truly. i find myself absolutely at a loss how you call yourself an artist & make the kind of absurd contentions you have.

You act like his contributions to art, are that of a mass produced untalented pop star.

The unexamined life is not worth living... and McCarntey offers little proof of his own self examination.

well, Phil, maybe you should tell the world all about that. how Paul's life is not worth living. ironically, if Paul's life is not worth living, what does that say about Lennon, who needed McCartney's collaboration, to fully realize his artistic talent?

get over yourself Phil, you are totally off the wall on this one & have talked yourself into a circle of idiocy.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Sorry guys..
I stand by my statements.

Once more... this has nothing to do with who was or wasn't a nice guy.

Lots of actresses have died young... few revealed the personal vulnerability that Monroe did.

Harrison was a nice guy... He TRIED to send a message- but his message was that he had found the answer, whereas Lennon's was that he was just as fucked up as the rest of us and still looking for the answers.
In a time when a generation was fucked up and looking for answers.

Lennon's arc of personal discovery mirrored the zeitgeist of his times in ways the neither McCartney nor Harrsion even came close to.

And as I said... McCartney may well be a man of great conscience... Harrison may have been a man of great conscience...
it just is not demonstrated in their work.

FOr example... Harrison plagiarized the melody and verse structure of He's So Fine.
He went to his grave denying it.
Lennon would have admitted it and paid the money. ( in fact, in one of his last interviews, Lennon said as much- that Harrison knew what he did and ought to just face it )

So- really you can jabber all ya want... but I lived thru it.. and the folk from that era pretty much all agree over it.

Oh, and Grisham? He's a competent hack. If you imagine he will have even remotely the impact of Hemmingway on modern fiction, you don't know great writing from merely salable writing.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I had to read this thread again to see who bumped this train wreck. I said in another thread that last year I got an advanced copy and read The Lennon Letters John Lennon's letters to be published by Little, Brown - latimes.com It left no doubt that John Lennon and Paul McCartney did not like each other.
It's hard to say who I like better as a performer. I think the work that they collaborated on was some of their best work but I've enjoyed their separate accomplishments as well.
I met Paul McCartney once and he was very charming, I never met John Lennon but I think about him every time I pass The Dakota where he used to live or walk through Strawberry Fields in Central Park. The Official Website of Central Park - Strawberry Fields There should be no right or wrong answer when asked an opinion because we are each entitled to one.