Lent

jakeryder

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I'm giving up lpsg.org for lent. I will miss you all and look forward to getting caught up around Easter.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
ah right, how does it go?, no meat on fridays?

Besides that you are supposed to give up something that you like for Lent. I think you have to give it up from Good Friday till Easter. I've never done it. One year my niece gave up ice cream and another year she gave up gum.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. The 40 days (not including Sundays) prior to Easter are a time of penitence and sacrifice for Christians. Lent begins with Ash Wednesday and ends with the Vigil of Easter, the night before Easter. It's more of a tradition in the liturgical (Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Episcopal/Anglican, Lutheran) churches, but increasingly, non-liturgical churches are embracing the time to use it for prayer and fasting and sacrifice.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Besides that you are supposed to give up something that you like for Lent. I think you have to give it up from Good Friday till Easter. I've never done it. One year my niece gave up ice cream and another year she gave up gum.

You give up the thing you like for the 40 days of Lent starting with Ash Wednesday and ending Easter Sunday. :rolleyes: Some people cheat and allow themselves the thing they have allegedly given up every Sunday.

As for no fish on Fridays that isn't as strictly enforced anymore. You no longer go to hell for eating a hamburger on a Friday during lent; but the local pizza parlor always did a bang up business in cheese pizzas on Fridays during lent.

In the event that St. Patrick's day falls on a Friday, the local archdiocese always gives a special dispensation so that people can eat corned beef and cabbage. :cool: