Leon Panetta: our new secretary of defense

Discussion in 'Politics' started by cruztbone, Apr 30, 2011.

1. cruztbone

Gold Member

i am proud that president Obama has dumped Gates in place of our former congressman Leon Panetta. he served us well for 9 terms and was an excellent chief of staff for Clinton.
    finally, in Panetta , we have someone dedicated to getting us out of Afghanistan and pulling the rest of our support troops out of Iraq.
    No one will miss Gates, least of all those of us who want defense spending reduced significantly.:smile:

2. unzipped

Gold Member

Albums:
    thought you were gonna post he was hung with a big fat dick and mega balls... lol

3. maxcok

Gold Member

You're dead wrong on this one, cruztbone. Secretary Gates is not being "dumped", he's retiring as long planned. In fact, he stayed in the job much longer than he ever intended at Obama's request. He's been a strong and sensible manager, a careful listener, a wise and practical advisor to the president. He's also pushed hard for cuts in the defense budget, the elimination of wasteful spending, and the cancellation of unnecessary weapon systems -- often over the objections of congressional Republicans trying to preserve porkbarrel projects in their own districts, e.g., Speaker Boehner's naked self-serving attempt to save a redundant jet engine project that would benefit his home state of Ohio. If he'd done none of that, I personally salute the Secretary for being outspoken and supportive of the repeal of DADT, going so far as to push Congress to act and not wait on court decisions last December. This will be his important historical legacy above all.

Blaming Robert Gates for foreign policy decisions, i.e., the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, is just plain silly. You do realize he was brought in long after those conflicts were underway, to replace that obnoxious, arrogant fool Rumsfeld when he became too much of a public relations disaster for the Bush regime? If anything, he deserves at least partial credit for turning the situation to the better in both those conflicts. Be thankful he's advocated strongly behind closed doors for severely limiting our involvement in the Libyan uprising too. You really need to educate yourself before you shoot off your mouth about someone just because he doesn't have a 'D' after his name. You should retract every word of your OP. You do great disservice to a good patriotic American, who not only served his country well, but served with honor and with distinction across party lines, in a very difficult job, in very difficult circumstances, far beyond his own self-interest, and without a hint of partisanship.

Panetta can only hope he does as well and manages to garner the respect of the rank and file while doing so.

It's a tall order.

#3 maxcok, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  4. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

I assume this part was sarcastic.

5. 6inchcock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Look north and turn left, real sudden like
    Verified:
    Photo
    Spot on Max.

I don't always agree with Gates, but he was the right guy at the right time. I think that he was handed a mess and he did very well at righting the ship.

I do think it's time for a change however, as IMHO Gates is starting to think towards the future based solely on the current conditions. Essentially you cannot fight the next war the way you fought the last.

I believe that Gates is/was one of the few people to rise above the politics and has served admirably for two very different administrations.

6. 6inchcock

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Look north and turn left, real sudden like
    Verified:
    Photo
    As Max stated very eloquently Gates is not being fired. For the record there are still Combat troops in Iraq. They have been titled under an advisory role, but don't let the title fool you. They are armed and equipped to execute operations at the drop of a hat. They are there to keep the "honest" honest.

If you have never participated in a low intensity conflict it's hard for people to grasp.

7. cruztbone

Gold Member

see Gates interview today with Fareed Zakaria on CNN. i think he honestly makes a case for why he has been a failure. Leon Panetta is one of the most effective people in government today, and he is the one who DOES NOT have ties to the defense dept. contractors who can end these wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Panetta has NO ties to Bush, Rumsfeld or ANY of the morons who got us into this mess.
    For Gates to claim any credit for our withdrawal in Iraq or any "savings" on pentagon pork is laughable.He has had little to do with either.
    so , no, maxcock , i am not dead wrong. you are simply delusional, along with the few sources you have cited.

8. maxcok

Gold Member

Panetta has some solid credentials for managing budgets from his time in Congress and was very effective as Clinton's Chief of Staff. However, the DOD, the most powerful and arguably most intractable department in the government, is a much different and much more formidable beast than a congressional budget committee or the White House. It remains to be seen how effective he'll be in his new position and whether he'll be accepted by the brass and by the rank and file. It's premature to make preditions at this point to say the least, though I do wish him the best. Regardless, it doesn't put him in a position to set foreign policy.

Really? And you're basing your knowledge on what uncited sources? And I said nothing about "withdrawal", only that he was at least in part responsible for improving the situations in Iraq and Afghanistan. Can you read?

What sources have you provided to support your own critical views and analysis?

I provided five of the dozen or so sources I read, which is as many or more than I remember ever seeing provided in a single post, unless it was one of mine. Not only that, they are all highly respected sources and run the gamut from the liberal/progressive Huffington Post, through major mainstream CNN, ABC, NY Times, to the military/conservative Stripes. Is that not enough for you? I don't think I need to provide more, since I doubt you read any of these, so let me give you a synopsis: They all reach the same general concensus, and they all support my analysis of Secretary Gates' tenure as Secretary of Defense -- as I have witnessed it in real time and just as I presented it. And you have the audacity and impudence to call me and my sources "delusional"? That's your best argument??

FYI, I'm a registered Democrat, but only because there's no viable party more progressive than the Democrats. I've spent a lifetime supporting socially/politically progressive causes and candidates, mostly in the Democratic party, but occasionally Independents, Greens, even a few Republicans. Believe it or not, there have been and still are some good decent Republicans out there, though they are increasingly rare. Whether Mr. Gates is one of them, I can't say, and there are some troubling questions unanswered from his activities during the Reagan administration. However, I believe he did his best to carry out the goals of his current Commander in Chief with the highest professionalism, with honor and distinction. I'm certain Mr. Obama would concur, I suspect he's sorry to see him leave, and I have no doubt he's grateful for his steady leadership in the most challenging of circumstances. You'll get to hear the president express his great gratitude yourself when the Secretary retires.

I see no reason I should waste any more effort defending Robert Gates against the totally unfounded belligerent assaults of someone who displays such spectacular ignorance and shows himself to be no different and no better than the knee-jerk blind partisan ideologues he criticizes on the right. You epitomize the worst of divisive partisan politics in this country, though I must say, it's much rarer to see such pigheadedness and complete lack of objectivity on the left. Pull your head out of your ass, and if you haven't got the good sense to admit you don't know what the hell you're talking about and retract your ridiculous statements about Mr. Gates, my news sources, and me, at least have the good sense to shut up. You've lost whatever credibility you may have had in this forum, and you're just making a bigger fool of yourself the more you spout off.

#8 maxcok, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
Draft saved Draft deleted