Leona Lewis

sweatyblackballs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey Guys,

I wondered if you guys from America (and other parts of the world) had yet heard of Leona Lewis. Britains latest export. She was the winner of X-Factor 2006, which is the British equivalent of American Idol. I have included the lead single from her debut album 'Bleeding Love' and a performance from X-Factor of Elton John's 'Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word' and 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'... She is touted by Simon Cowell as on par with Mariah (I think this is a great exaggeration) ... what do you all think, especially if this is your first time hearing her. She is a fantastic talent.

YouTube - Leona Lewis - Sorry seems to be the hardest word

YouTube - Leona Lewis - Bridge over troubled waters

YouTube - Bleeding Love by Leona Lewis

Leona Lewis

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No never heard of her, I'm still wondering how Amy Whinehouse got famous from a novelty sounding hit and a drug problem, but I give her credit for singing like she came from Detroit.

sweatyblackballs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Amy Winehouse is a sorry young woman with a pseudo-soul vocal ability. She is better known for injecting Heroin in her toes and running the streets at 4am looking for drugs than for what little talent she has

sweatyblackballs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't like her at all, her voice is ok but every time I've seen her on tv she looks lacklustre and half asleep.

Do you not think that with time she will grow through this. It is no easy feat to perform before millions especially with the weight of expectation. Do you think she has a voice and now needs a presence?

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Amy Winehouse is a sorry young woman with a pseudo-soul vocal ability. She is better known for injecting Heroin in her toes and running the streets at 4am looking for drugs than for what little talent she has
''LOL! Im laughing and I happen to like some of Amy's songs.

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I happened upon Leona on YouTube last year when she was performing for the X factor. I even posted a link to her Summertime performance. I was totally mesmerized. Here she is a receptionist at an Orthodontist's office and suddenly she is a star.

Or an amazing cover of Minnie Ripperton's Loving You when she 14 or something. She out minnies Minnie on that one.

rexcasual

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
March 2008 is the launch of her debut album in the US.

This genre is not one of my my favourites, but I like the fact that her stage presence seems to demonstrate she is not yet a self-absorbed-egoist-show-biz-diva. Great pipes and range of emotional delivery. There's an authenticity that resonates.

bottombuddy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
leona has a lovely singing voice and deserves a massive career - she is also a bonnie looking lassie..........and of course this years winner was scottish - leon jackson.......nice raw talent - quite cute looking too...he should go far if hes encouraged to......but of course we dont normally hear of winners after they have a xmas no1 hit as its paid for the million pound contract with xmas sales and they most likely get dumped after then from record company.

sweatyblackballs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
''LOL! Im laughing and I happen to like some of Amy's songs.

Unfortunately this is the truth. There are some sad images of her popping up everywhere with evidence of self-harming, bloody shoes where she has injected Heroin because you supposedly get high quicker that way, and she has also been arrested for perverting the course of justice. I think she has a responsibility to herself to be safe and healthy, if she cannot be she needs help, by force of reassurance. Unfortunately this is easier said than done.

Leona is great and Amy Winehouse is just a little quirky!

Agreed.

I happened upon Leona on YouTube last year when she was performing for the X factor. I even posted a link to her Summertime performance. I was totally mesmerized. Here she is a receptionist at an Orthodontist's office and suddenly she is a star.

Or an amazing cover of Minnie Ripperton's Loving You when she 14 or something. She out minnies Minnie on that one.

Her version of 'Summertime' was fantastic ... so bright and done with such ease.

I haven't heard her version of 'Loving You' but 'out minnie(ing) Minnie' is a strong statement ... LOL :eek:

March 2008 is the launch of her debut album in the US.

This genre is not one of my my favourites, but I like the fact that her stage presence seems to demonstrate she is not yet a self-absorbed-egoist-show-biz-diva. Great pipes and range of emotional delivery. There's an authenticity that resonates.

Simon Cowell thinks she is going to be on par with Celine, Mariah and Whitney ... it will be interesting to see how far the American public agrees to this.

leona has a lovely singing voice and deserves a massive career - she is also a bonnie looking lassie

Agreed. :biggrin1:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think she's got a great voice - but she's a great singer not a great performer and to be a star she has to be both, I don't know if she'll grow into giving a great performance, I don't think so because I think that's something you're born with and it's hard to fake.

For once I disagree with JustAsking, that song will always be Minnie's and no one else can sing it like she can.

sweatyblackballs

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think she's got a great voice - but she's a great singer not a great performer and to be a star she has to be both, I don't know if she'll grow into giving a great performance, I don't think so because I think that's something you're born with and it's hard to fake.

For once I disagree with JustAsking, that song will always be Minnie's and no one else can sing it like she can.

I hear you about her not being a great performer, but them again neither was Mariah and now she is a bonafide showwoman so although I hope she doesn't turn out like that, maybe in time she will evolved into her own performer. Her voice will make a way for that to happen, because it is so beautiful people will extend patience I believe.

Just listened to 'Loving You' on Youtube ... I agree with you Princess that sng is Minnie's and Minnie's alone ... Check out Shanice's version ... it is pretty damn good.

YouTube - Shanice Wilson - Loving You

jason_x_shaw

Experimental Member
Media
Leona Lewis is a star in her own rights, and i hope she concurs America. She is amazing her single Bleeding Love has so much to it, but it makes me sad as it is just a song, that was given to her, not written by her and if it was it would have a lot more personal emotion to it.

Shadows

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Leona Lewis is a star in her own rights, and i hope she concurs America. She is amazing her single Bleeding Love has so much to it, but it makes me sad as it is just a song, that was given to her, not written by her and if it was it would have a lot more personal emotion to it.

YouTube - Leona Lewis - Week 7 - I Will Always Love You

This will always be my favourite entry of hers. I will always love you, it was simply amazing. I have her album and every song is brilliant. She deserves to make it big with the rubbish I hear getting recording contracts these days!

B_am12388

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think she's fabulous! One of the most talented singers we have right now, and she's gorgeous and have a voice to match. Her first album is wonderful. I am a huge fan on hers and I can't wait for her next album to hit stores. :)

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Leona Lewis is ok in my book. I've only heard her Top 40 singles ("Bleeding Love", "Forever in Time", & "I Will Be") but she just seems to exude this raw, natural talent and evocative flair when she sings.

However, I will have to listen to some of her other music before I fully assess her.