Let them eat cake...

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
here's another reference to Newsweek regarding the best High Schools in America. Here's five that received beyond top honors, and get this... they're ALL in the inner-cities. Best High Schools: The Public Elites | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

where exactly do you see that? I see 18 schools on that list, not 5, and not all are in the "inner cities". in fact, the vast majority are not and the vast majority have far lower african american populations then african americans as a percentage of the population (12%)

the schools on the list

1. Whitney -Cerritos
Whitney is not in the inner city it is probably the best public high school in Cali. It is urban/suburban, in a nice decent neighborhood and draws the best kids from the surrounding districts.

It's racial makeup however suggests that african americans do not attend at a high rate at all.

African-American 1.9%
Asian-American 83.6%
Hispanic-American or Latino 6.8%
Pacific Islander 0.4%
White (Not Hispanic) 7.3%

2. University Labratory, Urbana Illinois

this is not "inner city" it is in the suburbs.

Caucasian-63%
Asian American-26%
African American-5%
Hispanic-5%

3. University High - Tuscon AZ.

this is not "inner city"
this is a suburban/urban school in a middle-upper middle class neighborhood.

• Students by Ethnicity
  • White Students 60 %
  • Hispanic Students 22 %
  • Asian/Pacific Islander Students 13 %
  • Black/African American Students 4 %

4. Union County Magnet - Scotch Plains NJ

Is not an "inner City" School, it is in a beautiful upscale suburban NJ neighborhood where median home value is roughly $475k

• Students by Ethnicity
  • White 56 %
  • Asian 20 %
  • Black 12 %
  • Hispanic 10 %
  • Native Hawaiin 2 %

5. Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (Alexandria, VA)

Suburban, middle/upper middle class neighborhood. median home value 450k or so.

• Students by Ethnicity
  • White 52 %
  • Asian 38 %
  • Unspecified 6 %
  • Hispanic 3 %
  • Black 2 %

6. Stuyvesant, New York City

Urban- yes. inner city? laughable. It has an amazing building in Tribeca in new york, even before that the old school which was falling down, was not in a bad area on the lower east side.

• Students by Ethnicity
  • Asian/Pacific Islander 62 %
  • White 32 %
  • Hispanic 3 %
  • Black, Not Hispanic 2 %
  • American Indian/Alaskan Native < 1 %
7. South Carolina Governor's School for Science and Mathematics,

beautiful suburban school.

only 2 grades (11th & 12th) african americans make up less than 3%

8. Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics, OK City

suburban/boarding

stats not available on students

9. North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics - Durham, NC

Suburban/boarding

65% are Caucasian,
18% are Asian American,
12% are African American,
3% are Hispanic,
1% are Native American

10. Maggie Walker's Governor's School for Government and International Studies, Richmond, Va

Suburban

Ethnicity
White: 73.9%
Native American: .4%
Asian American: 13.1%
African-American: 8.4%
Hispanic: 1.8%
Unspecified: 3.8 %

11. Jefferson County IBS, Irondale, Ala

Suburban middle/upper middle class neighborhood

stats not available

12. International Community School, Kirkland, Wash

beautiful school in suburban Seattle

• Students by Ethnicity
  • White 75 %
  • Asian Or Pacific Islander 22 %
  • Hispanic 1 %
  • Black 1 %
13. IllinoisMathematics and Science Academy, Aurora, Ill

beautiful suburban school in upper middle class neighborhood

% Asian 38%
% Hispanic 5%
% Black 8%
% White 44%
% Unknown 5 %

14. Hunter College High School, New York City

Inner City? LOL

94th street between Park and MAdison in the heart of Carnegie Hill

this is right in the exact same area as some of the richest, most tony, and excellent private schools in NYC are.it's within three blocks of Dalton, Spence and Nightingale, seven blocks of St. BErnards and St. David's

hell, i went to private school in this area. this school is in the heart of some of the most valuable real estate in New York City.

• Students by Ethnicity
  • Hispanic 40 %
  • Asian/Pacific Islander 25 %
  • Black, Not Hispanic 21 %
  • White 12 %

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
15. High Technology High, Lincroft, N.J

beautiful suburban school on the monmouth reservoir. median home values 500k + upper middle class/upper class

• Students by Ethnicity
  • White 66 %
  • Asian 27 %
  • Hispanic 4 %
  • Black 3 %

16. Brooklyn Technical, New York City

Urban - Fort Green area, inner city? Ha! Fort Green is a lovely area, and it is right nxt to Brooklyn Heights which is beautiful

• Students by Ethnicity
  • Asian/Pacific Islander 57 %
  • White 21 %
  • Black, Not Hispanic 14 %
  • Hispanic 8 %
  • American Indian/Alaskan Native <1%

17. Bronx Science, New York City

Urban - inner city? No way. BEdford Park is in the North Bronx and never fell victim to what happened in the South Bronx. 3000 square foot homes were going for nearly 500k up until a year ago, and it is a nice neighborhood, right near the NY Botanical Gardens.

• Students by Ethnicity
  • Asian/Pacific Islander 63 %
  • White 26 %
  • Hispanic 7 %
  • Black, Not Hispanic 4 %

18. Bergen County Academies, Hackensack, NJ

Suburban, nice area right next Fairleigh Dickinson University

• Students by Ethnicity
  • White 52 %
  • Asian 40 %
  • Hispanic 5 %
  • Black 2 %
  • American Indian/Alaskan Native <1%

--

Clearly, the stereotypical and "average" inner city schools that Wyldeguz was drawing parallels to, fairly or unfairly, are nowhere near the quality of these particular schools. Not even close.

in fact, what you were trying to make an issue of was totally wrong. these are not "inner city" schools.

Whether one chooses to realize that "inner city schools" is a derogatory code/buzz word for schools in the inner city with a high failure rate, serving mostly minority students, notably blacks, none of these schools qualify, either geographically in most cases, or racially in terms of makeup.

i averaged the % of black students over the 16 schools for which data was available and it came out to be an average of 6.456% african american students at each school.

how many "inner city" schools, are in suburban neighborhoods, and have african americans at a rate of half the national average of their percent of the population?

So tell me, just which of these fine schools were the "inner city" schools you mentioned? Based on this definition of "inner City" - A general term for impoverished areas of large cities. The inner city is characterized by minimal educational opportunities, high unemployment and crime rates, broken families, and inadequate housing.

i see only two that *MIGHT* even hope to qualify as "inner city". those being Brooklyn Tech and Bronx Science, both simply by their location in a large city. however both are hardly "inner city high schools" and are in good, safe, neighborhoods that are not suffering from any types of urban problems

they, along with Stuyvesant are specialized science high schools. not simply "inner city schools" and on top of that, they are magnet schools who draw from across districts, so they are hardly representative of an inner city high school.

so tell me which are the 5 inner city schools on that list that you were referring to? You obviously ignored the other 13 schools, and even the first 5 you mentioned, were not even "inner city"

don't even try to rationalize it.

not one of those 18 schools is an "inner city" school.

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The education cartel has ruined public education in AMERICA. We need an alternative education system, likely based on school vouchers.

The District of Columbia spends $27000/pupil on kids, most of whom are black and don't give a shit about learning. White farm kids 125 years ago learned more in one room school houses on the Kansas prairie with no air conditioning than inner city black kids do with $27000 behind them.

Where is the problem?

There we go. This is much more like it.

You actually had me going for a minute.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
where exactly do you see that? I see 18 schools on that list, not 5, and not all are in the "inner cities". in fact, the vast majority are not and the vast majority have far lower african american populations then african americans as a percentage of the population (12%)

I already posted the link twice already. But here it is again: Best High Schools: The Public Elites | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

In fact, if you read the line above the official list of 1300 top schools you'll see the link. It says, and I quote... "Click here for a list of public schools deemed too elite for this list." America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

I repeat... on the first page which list five of the best schools (the ones purposely left off the list), three of them are in New York City. Two of them are in New Jersey, which include Hackensack. Four schools in cities where the racial breakdown is more diverse than others. It makes no sense to sit here and talk about how there's more caucasions in any particular city because caucasions make up the mass majority of our nationwide population. And it's also a known fact that most minorities live in cities than in more rural areas. So despite the spread that may point to one race more than others, a city like New York is going to be more diverse than some town in Kansas.

Last edited:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Did starinvestor tell you to type that? Because that was already pointed out, discredited and torn to shreds on his "Connection between democratic leadership and poverty" thread from last year.

http://www.lpsg.org/103696-connection-between-democratic-leadership-poverty.html

And BTW, to paraphrase that thread... we've illustrated that there's also many cities, towns and full states that have had decades of Republican rule that are also just as poor. If anything, it illustrates that a government cannot survive for too long with only one party running things for any lengthy period of time. Democrats have urban ghettos and "The PJs". Republicans have rural ghettos and "King Of The Hill".

Got it? Good. Next issue.
\
Actually it wasn't discredited. It was a pathetic 99:1 blather fest, with little or no touch point on the original premise. Besides, you forgot to notice I said big cities... in case you have zero f'ing clue on the biggest MSAs (google that)... NY, CHI, LA, SFO, MIA, DET, NOR, MIA... find me the big cities led by the GOP in the US that are in the seminal shitter... and I'll find you 10 more led by Democrats who continue to dupe the downtrodden with the race card, and spearation of wealth, blah blah blah.

Next....

Last edited:

D_Davy_Downspout

Account Disabled
Media
\
Actually it wasn't discredited. It was a pathetic 99:1 blather fest, with little or no touch point on the original premise. Besides, you forgot to notice I said big cities... in case you have zero f'ing clue on the biggest MSAs (google that)... NY, CHI, LA, SFO, MIA, DET, NOR, MIA... find me the big cities led by the GOP in the US that are in the seminal shitter... and I'll find you 10 more led by Democrats who continue to dupe the downtrodden with the race card, and spearation of wealth, blah blah blah.

Next....

Oh yeah, that's the thread which was basically Starinvestor saying "BLAH BLAH CORRELATION=CAUSATION I CAN'T HEAR YOU", and ignoring the fact that poor people tend to elect Democrats, and those people have little effect on the underlying issues that cause poverty, such as the collapse of the auto industry. Good game sir.

Also I'm pretty sure the poorest states in the country all have Republican governors, we can go all night.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh yeah, that's the thread which was basically Starinvestor saying "BLAH BLAH CORRELATION=CAUSATION I CAN'T HEAR YOU", and ignoring the fact that poor people tend to elect Democrats, and those people have little effect on the underlying issues that cause poverty, such as the collapse of the auto industry. Good game sir.

Also I'm pretty sure the poorest states in the country all have Republican governors, we can go all night.

Where did I mention states... vs cities....besides the poorest states usually are the least populated, so your theorem is down the flush....

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
\

So where do we stand on that pathetic issue?
That I can list just as many cities to back my claims as you or any other anti-Liberal zombie could to back your own? In other words, there is no link between one particular political party and poverty. So stop trying to do it.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I already posted the link twice already. But here it is again: Best High Schools: The Public Elites | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

In fact, if you read the line above the official list of 1300 top schools you'll see the link. It says, and I quote... "Click here for a list of public schools deemed too elite for this list." America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com

I repeat... on the first page which list five of the best schools (the ones purposely left off the list), three of them are in New York City. Two of them are in New Jersey, which include Hackensack. Four schools in cities where the racial breakdown is more diverse than others. It makes no sense to sit here and talk about how there's more caucasions in any particular city because caucasions make up the mass majority of our nationwide population. And it's also a known fact that most minorities live in cities than in more rural areas. So despite the spread that may point to one race more than others, a city like New York is going to be more diverse than some town in Kansas.

1. i saw the link...you of course failed to look at the other 13 schools that were also purposely left off the list. I listed all 18 of them, that were "too elite"

i know it is tough for you to notice that the schools that were listed as "too elite", actually comprised 18 schools, not just the first 5 that you mentioned and then ignored the rest, listed in alphabetical order, on the ensuing three pages.

I know it is tough for you to look at that and discover the next 3 pages, that show the other too elite to list above all the others

you might want to check that out. then again you can simply look at the list i provided, since i actually read it, unlike you.

it was not listing the 5 best...it was listing the 18 best...the five on the first page are in alphabetical order...you know...A,B,C,D etc.

you don't need to keep linking the article...unlike you, i actually perused all 4 pages and 18 "too elite schools" wheras you just looked at the first 5 in the alphabetical listing and assumed you were correct.

you weren't.

2. You said, "get this... they're ALL in the inner-cities." when in fact, none of them are in the inner cities. either the first 5 you mentioned, or the other 13 you totally ignored.

3. nowhere did you mention anything about cities being "racially diverse" in your post. You stated that "get this... they're ALL in the inner-cities."

you know exactly your aim with that line, however for people that actually fact check and know the difference, your statement proved to be either a lie or an error.

You know damn well, that not one of those schools is in the "inner city". Not one.

4. it may make no sense to you now that you are trying to obfuscate about "caucasians" and Kansas, but i am not talking about that. I could care less about Kansas...

the simple fact, is that you lied, and not one of the schools on that list of 18 not 5, 18 too elite schools, is in fact in an "inner city".

you can argue with Wyldeguz all you want about Kansas and i could care less... I am talking about your lies regarding those schools you mentioned being "inner city" schools, when they clearly are not.

Sorry, Hackensack is not the inner city.
neither is Tribeca
neither is two blocks away from Brooklyn Heights
neither is Bedford Park

and besides...you said that "Four schools in cities where the racial breakdown is more diverse than others." in regards to 4 of those 5 you mentioned...

so tell me, how does the fact that the cities are more diverse, still not explain why in those schools, the participation of black students is still far below their percentages of the population, not only in the nation, but especially in the four racially diverse cities you speak of?

for example

.................% of population that is african american
Bronx...............34.5% Black or African American (30.6% non-Hispanic)
Brooklyn...........36.2% Black or African American (33.7% non-Hispanic)
Manhattan........16.7% Black or African American (13.8% non-Hispanic)
Hackensack.......24.6% Black or African American

................% of african american students at the 4 schools mentioned
Bronx Science...................4%
Brooklyn Tech..................14%
Stuyvesant......................2%
Bergen County Academies...2%

hardly a rousing and emphatic vindication of your "racially diverse" hypothesis about these "inner city" schools.

and as for Kansas...it may be white, but it is not *THAT* white...it is roughly 83% white and the black population is roughly 53% (6.60%) of the national average (12.4%)

hell, Kansas isn't even in the top 15 "whitest" states. Its black population is almost 7 times higher than that of Maine.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
1. i saw the link...you of course failed to look at the other 13 schools that were also purposely left off the list. I listed all 18 of them, that were "too elite"

I didn't ignore them. Just because I didn't list every single school listed in that article doesn't mean that I didn't read it.

i know it is tough for you to notice that the schools that were listed as "too elite", actually comprised 18 schools, not just the first 5 that you mentioned and then ignored the rest, listed in alphabetical order, on the ensuing three pages.

I'm also noticing that you need two paragraphs to say exactly the same thing. Are you a victim of "Broken Record" syndrome?

I know it is tough for you to look at that and discover the next 3 pages, that show the other too elite to list above all the others

Make that three paragraphs. Perhaps you should call yourself "Skip" for now on? :rolleyes:

you might want to check that out. then again you can simply look at the list i provided, since i actually read it, unlike you.

And this is coming from someone who claimed I didn't know how to read when you tried to argue that Obama's Brother wasn't a family member of Obama. Please, spare the empty handed insults. :rolleyes:

it was not listing the 5 best...it was listing the 18 best...the five on the first page are in alphabetical order...you know...A,B,C,D etc.

Four paragraphs and counting. Nice job, Skippy. :rolleyes:

you don't need to keep linking the article...unlike you, i actually perused all 4 pages and 18 "too elite schools" wheras you just looked at the first 5 in the alphabetical listing and assumed you were correct.

Five paragraphs. :rolleyes:

you weren't.

Also as a side note, let it be known that only Phil can type like this and make a point. Just thought I'd point that out because watching you try is insanely hysterical.

2. You said, "get this... they're ALL in the inner-cities." when in fact, none of them are in the inner cities. either the first 5 you mentioned, or the other 13 you totally ignored.

We're up to six now, Skippy.
But here's where you're single-sided rant is about to be derailed.
How about we actually list all 18 "elite" schools and their respected city? You know, in a way where everyone can read them? Pay attention now...

Page 1:
Bergen County Academies, Hackensack, N.J.
Bronx Science, New York City
Brooklyn Technical, New York City
High Technology High, Lincroft, N.J
Hunter College High School, New York City

Pages 2-4:
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy, Aurora, Ill.
International Community School, Kirkland, Wash.
Jefferson County International Baccalaureate, Irondale, Ala.
Maggie Walker's Governor's School for Government and International Studies, Richmond, Va.
North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, Durham, N.C.
Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics, Oklahoma City
South Carolina Governor's School for Science and Mathematics, Hartsville, S.C
Stuyvesant, New York City
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, Alexandria, Va
Union County Magnet, Scotch Plains, N.J.
University, Tucson, Ariz.
University Laboratory, Urbana, Ill
Whitney, Cerritos, Calif.

Keep in mind, the US Census don't even list the following areas as cities. That means that these are probably smaller boroughs or areas of a bigger city district.

1. Scotch Plains, New Jersey
2. Irondale, Alabama
3. Hartsville, South Carolina
4. Lincroft, New Jersey

And since the US Census is an indisputable source, we will not count them in this poll. That brings our number of official cities to be focused on to 14.

Now, let's look at the number of these remaining cities where there's a more diverse racial breakdown. For the sake of my argument, I consider these to be cities where one particular race does not have more than 2/3rds of the total population. Like for instance, Kirkland, Washington, would not apply because it's 85% caucasion. Perhaps is because minorities hate the cold. But I digress...

First off Skippy, you can't get more "city" than New York because that is our country's biggest city. That four schools (more than any other city), 3 of them in Brooklyn and The Bronx. That's more than 1/4th of the remaining list, or 28.5%. And you live in New York (or so you say), so if you can't see the overall ethnic diversity of the city you live in then you should just give up this argument right now. But just in case, here it is: New York (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Hackensack, NJ is also another city with a more diverse racial breakdown. At least, according to the US Census. Not sure if you find that to be a valuable source, but I do. Hackensack (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Cerritos, Calif. is predominately Asian. 58% to be exact. That makes them another city with a more diverse racial breakdown. Cerritos (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Alexandria, VA is another. Alexandria (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

How about Durham, NC? Durham (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

And Richmond, VA?
Richmond (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

That makes 9 out of the remaining 14 cities, or 64.2% of the list. If we included the other 4 "non cities", that percentage would drop to about 50%. Either way, my argument still stands.

3. nowhere did you mention anything about cities being "racially diverse" in your post. You stated that "get this... they're ALL in the inner-cities."

And on the first page, as I pointed that out to begin with, they ARE. Look over page one again. Three are from New York City, one is in Hackensack and one that isn't listed as an actual city on the US Census. So yes, they are in the inner city.

you know exactly your aim with that line,

And just what WAS I assuming Skippy...
You seem to think you have all the answers. So why not go on and just tell us. What do YOU think I was assuming with that so-called "line"? Come on Skippy... you're just one step away from confirming your forum bigotry. Ready to take the plunge? :rolleyes:

You know damn well, that not one of those schools is in the "inner city". Not one.

It all depends on what you consider to be "inner city".
Quite frankly, The Bronx and Brooklyn are prime examples of inner city in my eyes. And I was born and raised in one so I do know one when I see one. What about you, Skippy?

the simple fact, is that you lied, and not one of the schools on that list of 18 not 5, 18 too elite schools, is in fact in an "inner city".

Paragraph seven, Skippy...
And I think I've gone in full detail enough about the elite eighteen. So unless you can prove that the US Census is wrong, I encourage you to STFU.

you can argue with Wyldeguz all you want about Kansas and i could care less... I am talking about your lies regarding those schools you mentioned being "inner city" schools, when they clearly are not.

Paragraph eight, Skippy... damn, you needed that many paragraphs to say the same exact thing? Maybe you could have benefitted from going to a better school yourself? :rolleyes:

Your homework assignment, if you dare, is as follows:
1. Explain what "inner city" means to you. Limit yourself to one paragraph and try not to look like an insensitive bigot in the process.

2. Try to find a more reliable source regarding population and racial demographics in cities than the US Census. I'll give you a hint on this... YOU CAN'T.

3. Learn Math. It goes further than just watching people measure their dicks on a penis forum.

When you're ready, I'll be waiting with a red magic marker prepared to write another F on your forehead. Because I know in your infinite lack of wisdom, you'll try to refute this and make yourself look more like an ass (as usual). :rolleyes:

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
The education cartel has ruined public education in AMERICA. We need an alternative education system, likely based on school vouchers.
The District of Columbia spends $27000/pupil on kids, most of whom are black and don't give a shit about learning. White farm kids 125 years ago learned more in one room school houses on the Kansas prairie with no air conditioning than inner city black kids do with $27000 behind them.

Where is the problem?

Clearly, the stereotypical and "average" inner city schools that Wyldeguz was drawing parallels to...

I am talking about 125 years ago you dunce.

i.e. Kansas circa 1883 vs today.

you can argue with Wyldeguz all you want about Kansas and i could care less...

I don't blame you, as there isn't any argument. Nor has Wyldeguz provided the links and quotes from 1883's Kansas that he imagined he posted in this thread.

http://www.lpsg.org/2002737-post22.html

Last edited:

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When it comes to high schools and their relative value, I am going to consider myself for purposes of this board to be a definitive expert without equal.

Of the so called top high schools in America I have personal experience with several:

Lakewood High School of Colorado
La Jolla High School of San Diego
Special knowledge of New Trier HS of Winnetka Illinois
Palos Verdes High School California
Torrey Pines High school California
Mira Costa High School California
Evergreen High School Colorado
Boston Latin Massachusetts

The list goes on I can't believe how many I have been in personally and whose phone numbers I have in my cell phone.

I have been in these schools, knew faculty, knew kids, saw what went on there.

The students were overwhelming white or Asian. For my money, the best public school in the country is New Trier. I was on the PTA there and I was blown away by the level of achievement. The Illinois and Wisconsin public schools were head and shoulders better than most California schools. Iowa had better schools.

I am not relying on a mag article, I have been on those campuses (sp?) walked the quads, sat in classrooms, watched the sports teams.

I have also been in inner city Schools: Manual Arts, Locke High School, Washington High Scholl, East High School, many of the disastrous high schools on the South Side of Chicago.

The big difference is the students and the parents. Case closed. There are concerned and involved black parents at the worst schools but in proportion to white and Asian parents at the best schools its a 1 to 100.

Ask for library volunteers at a high grade suburban white school and you get a waiting list. Don't bother asking for volunteers at an inner city school, you won't get one. I know, I asked.

The intensity of the scholarship at a Torrey Pines or Lakewood or especially New Trier has to be FELT to be understood.

Edit: If you want to see what one motivated extremely professional educator can do at one school, look at the principal of Lakewood HIgh School in Colorado.

Last edited:

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Of the following high schools:

You forgot to mention they are (I'm not certain about the one in Illinois) in the highest of the upper income communities in the USA. La Jolla? Hell, I'd love to live in that community as well as Torry Pines up the street. Nothing like "old" California money to line a public school district's pockets with more than sufficient tax money to provide educations comparable to Choate. It would be interesting to know how many BMW's and baby Mercedes fill those high school's student parking lots every weekday.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When it comes to high schools and their relative value, I am going to consider myself for purposes of this board to be a definitive expert without equal.

Oooooooh... a self appointed expert. I'm sure everyone will just agree with you now!! :rolleyes:

Of the so called top high schools in America I have personal experience with several:

As a METCO student and alumni, I'm more than familiar with Boston Latin. I was invited to apply for that school myself, however, I figured that I was getting a good education where I was currently going. On top of that, I didn't want to deal with readjusting to a completely different school district and leaving behind the friends I already made.

The list goes on I can't believe how many I have been in personally and whose phone numbers I have in my cell phone.

I have been in these schools, knew faculty, knew kids, saw what went on there.

The students were overwhelming white or Asian.

So, in your "expert opinion", you've visited less than 1% of the best high schools in America and that makes you an authority of no equal when it comes to what demographics make up these schools? Some expert you turned out to be.

I am not relying on a mag article, I have been on those campuses (sp?) walked the quads, sat in classrooms, watched the sports teams.

And I'm not relying on your ignorant, hyper-biased, racially baited opinion. At least Newsweek, a credible news source, can actually conduct research that touches several schools at once. In your attempt to once again turn a discussion into a lame-ass racial flame, you admitted that you've been to less than 1% of the best schools in America. That doesn't make you an expert. It makes you a blowhard with an insanely flawed opinion.

Seriously, dude... STFU. You're embarrassing yourself. :rolleyes:

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Of the following high schools:

You forgot to mention they are (I'm not certain about the one in Illinois) in the highest of the upper income communities in the USA. La Jolla? Hell, I'd love to live in that community as well as Torry Pines up the street. Nothing like "old" California money to line a public school district's pockets with more than sufficient tax money to provide educations comparable to Choate. It would be interesting to know how many BMW's and baby Mercedes fill those high school's student parking lots every weekday.

The one in Illinois is very high income neighborhood. Family household income certainly over $200K. And the best high school I have ever seen.

However Lakewood High School of Colorado is not. Lower income area, lots of pothead kids and meth tweakers. But one educator there has made all the difference. Trust me, watching that school be transformed is rewarding.

If I am not mistaken, you are a teacher of some sort. Please do not give us the old saw of money. DC schools spend $27000 per pupil. I believe the average nation wide is not about $10000 per kid far more based on the rate of inflation than in the 50s,60s and 70s. I have been part of school budgeting and I know what it takes to do a good job in a private school environment.

Spin it any way you want and its parental involvement, case closed.

Wyldgusechaz

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oooooooh... a self appointed expert. I'm sure everyone will just agree with you now!! :rolleyes:

As a METCO student and alumni, I'm more than familiar with Boston Latin. I was invited to apply for that school myself, however, I figured that I was getting a good education where I was currently going. On top of that, I didn't want to deal with readjusting to a completely different school district and leaving behind the friends I already made.

So, in your "expert opinion", you've visited less than 1% of the best high schools in America and that makes you an authority of no equal when it comes to what demographics make up these schools? Some expert you turned out to be.

And I'm not relying on your ignorant, hyper-biased, racially baited opinion. At least Newsweek, a credible news source, can actually conduct research that touches several schools at once. In your attempt to once again turn a discussion into a lame-ass racial flame, you admitted that you've been to less than 1% of the best schools in America. That doesn't make you an expert. It makes you a blowhard with an insanely flawed opinion.

Seriously, dude... STFU. You're embarrassing yourself. :rolleyes:

How do you think that survey was done? Did they walk the school? I did. Do they know the neighborhood? I do. Have they actually physically been in 40-50 high schools? I have.

They have not been in ANY of those high schools, not a one. They could not point them out on a map. I know the addresses and can give you directions. I know the school mottos. I know the school mascots. Call Newsweek and ask them the school mascot of New Trier. I know it. Call Newsweek and ask for the names of the principals, I know most of them.

Locke High School, Washington High School and Gardena High School in LA are where the Crips gang was formed, I was there and I know. I know the neighborhoods of those schools.

Do yourself a favor Mr. STFU, go serve on a high school PTA board and then tell me about your experience. Be a high School PTA president as i was and them come back and tell me your experiences.

Only a complete dolt would think you need to actually go to every high school (which Newsweek did not do, they just looked at IB scores and college entrance placements) not to know after walking in 50 high schools nationwide, to know what makes a great high school great and a bad high school bad.

Yes for this board I am more of an expert than a silly Newsweek poll. They weren't in the schools, i was.

You lose again.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I don't disagree with you regarding the necessity of having parents involved at every stage of their kid's educations. I'm all for it. But affluent parents tend to have more time to spend ensuring the success of their offspring than mothers holding down two jobs and still not being able to make rent or buy food.

Nope, I've never said that parental involvement isn't pivotal in the success of a child; especially learning to read and succeed in math.

I would, however, suggest you get off your fucking high horse and leave your preconceptions about 'Mericuhn education at the door, while you attend a four or six-day training seminar with Project Read or the Laubach Literacy of America organization (there are others). Learn about reading methods (not just phonics, but phonics does have its place) and potential learning disabilities. Then take on an illiterate adult for a minimum of six months and teach him or her to read until they achieve a reading level of at least a sixth grade student. Trust me, the USA has plenty of illiterate adults, mostly people who have fallen through the cracks for one reason or another.

After I left teaching elementary school and entered graduate school, I still worked with The Literacy Action Center in Austin, Texas for five years, eventually serving on their board for two years. It's now been consumed by Project Read or Laubauch. But for five years I had one adult (18 or over) student who had graduated high school without being able to read. Texas, it seems, with it's peculiar emphasis on high school football seemed to have a higher percentage of high school graduates who couldn't read back in the 80's.

So quit your fucking bitching and become part of the solution. So far you've done nothing but rail and point fingers. That never accomplishes anything. Get off your fucking high horse and get down in the dirt with the rest of us. It takes an average of one hour three days a week (minimum) for six to eight months to slowly work with an illiterate adult to read well enough they can muddle through the comic strips and read a local newspaper article. You spend a Hell of lot more time than that spouting off on LPSG, therefore I assume you have enough time on your hands to become a volunteer.

It's been a while since I checked the illiteracy rate in the USA, but it was unusually high for children from middle-income families 11 years ago. I doubt it has changed. In fact, in 1995 the USA's own guesstimate of illiterate adults residing in the USA was about 20% -- one person out of every five. Note: I'm not asking you to teach an illegal alien to learn English. That's just for us "liberals." Go check out the adult literacy program(s) in your area and shell out the bucks for the training and then the teaching materials.

Among all of my students, probably the best thing I ever did was teach a single mother of five who lived in south east Austin how to read. She had worked for several years at a McDonalds in her neighborhood and the franchise owner recognized that she was an excellent candidate to become a manager -- but she couldn't read. Counter personel at McDonald's do not need to know how to read. They just need to know how to add up change. Check a McDonalds cash register some time. It has the regular numbers along with photographs of all the menu choices. The cashier can punch a number or a photo. They both work. That mother of five did quite well, especially when she had someone show an interest in her well-being and continuing need to learn. And by extension her five kids benefitted as well.

Sure, parents are a BIG part of successfully educating a child, but don't blame the school or the school districts who more often than not have their hands tied by wierd State rules (or No Child Left Behind). Take a closer look at the parents of the children who attend schools. When I taught combined 4th/5th grade (40 students, two differerent curriculums year round) I NEVER turned down the offer of parents or grandparents wanting to come in and help. I did, however, take offense at the PTA mothers using their positions as stepping stones to gain street cred just to run for elected office for the local school board and then press their "moral" agendas over the needs to the student's rights to learn. That's a different argument.

Last edited: