Let them eat cake...

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And what do you know... just as soon as I finished with Tweedle-Dummer, Tweedle-Dipstick comes back after licking his wounds. :rolleyes:
and what do you know...someone who cannot even deal with the facts of the conversation resorts to insults again. shocker

Here's the REAL problem, Flashy. Now pay attention.
Somehow we can look at the same exact information and not find any common ground. And there's one reason behind this. We can't agree on the definition of one thing... "inner city". I have my definition of what an "inner city" is, and believe me, without you even going into detail I already KNOW what you consider it to be. That's the reason why I can look at a city like Hackensack and call it such, and you vehemently claim that it isn't.
hmmmm...yes fascinating the way you are not adressing you making wild offbase statements and being unable to actually adress the numbers, either of population of the area, or population of the school, or the geographic location.

amusing....actually you are the one who cannot see the blatant facts, and agree that you are totally wrong and now desperately backtracking over semantics in order to cover your ass.

I have already provided the definition in six-seven different ways.

The problem is not that "we" cannot agree on the term "inner city", it is just that you cannot handle the definition of it as used now. As such, it renders your entire absurd argument totally baseless, which explains your desperate attempts to define the term "inner city" in a different way.

"Your" definition of what an "inner city" is, is absurd, and not the definition that is in usage. You cannot just make up what terms mean. IIRC, your definition of "inner city" was a city that had a majority population of white people less than 2/3rds.

Sorry, that is your measure of diversity. That has nothing to do with the definition of inner-city.

You can look at Hackensack as much as you like, but the school you mentioned, happens to be in a suburban area, next to a major university. It is not "inner city" despite your attempts to paint it as such.

it is literally 100 yards away from Fairleigh Dickinson University and this is how FDU describes its area

Do you want to be near the energy and opportunities of New York City - but prefer to attend college on a quiet, suburban campus? FDU's Metropolitan Campus may be the place for you.

http://view.fdu.edu/default.aspx?id=700

You know very well what the definition of inner city is and what the connotations are. Simply google it, or wiki it.

That's also why you find it necessary to regurgitate the same numerical info and reword it so that it fits your blindly inaccurate theory. Why is that?
as for me finding it "necessary to regurgitate the same numerical info and reword it so that it fits your blindly inaccurate theory."

i would say that i have reworded nothing. You chose a desperately random deinition of "inner city", based on a percentage of "diversity", when that has nothing to do with it.

My theory is supported by the numbers, the geography, and the facts. That is why.

You cannot get past the numbers at all...because they completely contradict you

Answer the question. If you don't, then it's not even worth bothering continuing this debate. Because I have my beliefs and you have yours and they'll never meet in the middle. So let's get past the numbers that we can both mold to fit our own arguments and get to the REAL source of the problem. Be a man for once. Step to the challenge. Or backpedal the same way you've already done three times before like a chump.
LOL... i am not backpedaling at all. My facts are clear for all to se. You asume i am backpedalling, when i am posing it to you. Show me where, in the pictures provided (by me) the school populations stats provided (by me) and the population stats provided (by me, you just posted links, i actually posted the same numbers from thosse links)

I am three times stepping right up to your face and demanding that you tell me, how you can consider any of those schools to be "inner city".

You seem unable to either read it or comprehend it or are simply ignoring it

Whether you like it or not, only one of the schools on that list, is even close to being an "inner city" school. That is Bronx Science. That is even debatable considering Bedford Park is one of the better areas of the Bronx, and never fell down to the level that the South Bronx did.

Sorry. A school in Tribeca is not "Inner-City"
A school next to Brooklyn Heights is not "Inner-City"
A School Between Park and Madison Avenues is not "Inner City"

schools in the suburbs of small sized cities, are not, in fact, "inner city" schools.

but keep on with your desperate attempts to claim more than one of those schools as even remotely "inner city"

just a hint, you may have your cute little madeup individual definition of "inner city" based on population, diversity and fantasy, but when people say "inner city" i guarantee you that the vast majority, other than you, are not referring to Park Avenue and Tribeca as "inner city"

Google Inner City.

see what comes up.

the first listing is the Wiki

"The inner city is the central area of a major city or metropolis. In the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and Ireland, the term is often applied to the poorer parts of the city centre and is sometimes used as a euphemism with the connotation of being an area, perhaps a ghetto or slum, where residents are less educated and more impoverished and where there is more crime. Sociologists in these countries sometimes turn this euphemism into a formal designation, applying the term "inner city" to such residential areas rather than to geographically more central commercial districts."

I would say that validates *MY* definition and completely validates it in opposition to your silly homemade version of "inner city"

inner city: Definition from Answers.com

You are wrong on the term. You are wrong about the schools

deal with it.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ok so by your definition Hackensack is an inner city school.

actually, I do not know what school you are referring to by "Hackensack"

we are referring to Bergen County Academies, which is directly across the river from Fairleigh Dickinson U, and FDU calls its location "suburban".

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I thought you were referring to Hackensack High School. And I'm sure FDU would label itself suburban for other reasons. But it lies on the border between Teaneck and the city of Hackensack. Bergen Tech is what you are referring to, a technical and vocational school a few blocks from hackensack high school, which can be labeled inner-city, as Hackensack is a city and its an urban area.

And you would probably rather stay on the FDU side of the river.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I thought you were referring to Hackensack High School. And I'm sure FDU would label itself suburban for other reasons. But it lies on the border between Teaneck and the city of Hackensack. Bergen Tech is what you are referring to, a technical and vocational school a few blocks from hackensack high school, which can be labeled inner-city, as Hackensack is a city and its an urban area.

I know what i am referring to. Bergen Tech's proper name is Bergen County Academies/Bergen County Technical Schools

and it is not a few blocks away...it is well over a mile north of Hackensack HS, just across the river from FDU

Hackensack HS may be an "inner city school" based on geography, but everyone knows that "Inner City School" and "inner city" mean different things today other than geographical location.

it is overwhelmingly minority, nearly a quarter of its students are considered "economically disadvantaged", but its dropout rate is very low (1.2% for the whole school, apparently in 2007)

but Hackensack is hardly a terrible and dangerous place. It is not perfect, but it is far from being a hellhole.

back to the original point, which is that Bergen County Academies, are hardly an inner city school by any measure.

and yes, you would probably be better off on the FDU side, i agree.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So you are only considering the most ghetto schools to be true inner city schools? What would you label Passaic High School or Paterson Eastside or Paterson Kennedy in Paterson? They are small cities like Hackensack but I can ASSURE you they are inner-city schools, no doubt about it.

I'm having some trouble following the thread, why was Bergen Tech brought up to begin with?

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
And so, Flashy finally decides to answer the question about what is the "inner city". Good for you. Now, it's time to take you to school. So, sit down and pay attention.

Going by the definition you posted from Answers.com, you assume that the "inner city" is a neighborhood in which low-income, minority groups predominate. And so, since "minorities" do not predominate in Hackensack or any of the cities listed in the elite eighteen schools you don't consider them to be inner cities. BIG MISTAKE. And a typical one from someone who is as socially ignorant as yourself. What you don't know is that the "inner city" can also be considered to be the part of the city that is most prosperous. Where housing is the most expensive, and where elites and high-income individuals dwell. In other words, there is no official definition of "inner city". It's just a slang term that has as a number of interpretations that will differ based on the social attitudes of the person using it. Inner city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Was that the reason why you acted as if you knew what I was "hinting" when I said "that line" a few pages back? Seriously, Flashy... you've NEVER met a brother of my magnitude before. So don't assume the obvious when approaching me because I'll always surprise you. I don't look at an inner city as a euphemism for "the ghetto" or "the slum". I gave you my definition of what an inner city was before I even decided to break down the numbers and you happily ignored it. I also don't assume that only minorities live in these areas because if you look at all of the cities you'll see that poor, low income areas are not all predominated by Blacks, Latinos, Asians or minorities. You do. And that is why you're sitting here adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing numbers from the US Census acting as if the answer is obvious.

The only thing that you've proven by posting your so-called findings is something I already proven several pages ago. So again, I still stand by my statements. What you probably didn't realize you were doing in the process of trying to prove me wrong is expose your own prejudices and social ignorance. I'm sure many people would love to know why you assume any area in our country with a high minority count and low income families as a ghetto or a slum. Nice one, Skippy... REALLY nice. Tell me, was your desperation in trying to shoot your adversary down worth exposing your own closeted bigotry? Inquiring minds want to know, Flashy... and please, don't try to use Math to get yourself out of this one. Even the US Census can't save you now.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
So you are only considering the most ghetto schools to be true inner city schools? What would you label Passaic High School or Paterson Eastside or Paterson Kennedy in Paterson? They are small cities like Hackensack but I can ASSURE you they are inner-city schools, no doubt about it.

I'm having some trouble following the thread, why was Bergen Tech brought up to begin with?

because we were discussing the 18 top most excellent public schools in the country, as listed in a recent magazine. Bergen was one of them.

the illustrious Vinyl Boy stated that virtually all of them are "inner city" schools, when they are not.

and no, it has nothing to do with "ghetto". It has to do with the definition of inner city schools and inner city, which the idiotic vinyl boy has been desperately trying to classify these schools as. They aren't. I am not talking about other schools that you mentioned. I am discussing 18 specific schools, listed in my posts over the last two pages, and you may examine them to see what i am talking about

If you go and read my posts, with pictures of each school, geographic locations, population statistics of both neighborhoods and the respective schools, you will see the idiotic nature of claiming the majority of these schools being "inner city"

as for What would you label Passaic High School or Paterson Eastside or Paterson Kennedy in Paterson, i do not know. I have not researched them yet

IIRC one of them was the topic of a movie starring Morgan Freeman, about that principal ("Crazy" Joe i believe his name was but can't recall) who turned Eastside High Around...but if that is indeed the school from the movie, then i would say absolutely yes, that was an inner city school.

The size of the city they are in is not what determines it.

there are "cities" as small as 400 people in this country and smaller, so it is not the size that determines it.

"Inner City" is defined as

The inner city is the central area of a major city or metropolis. In the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and Ireland, the term is often applied to the poorer parts of the city centre and is sometimes used as a euphemism with the connotation of being an area, perhaps a ghetto or slum, where residents are less educated and more impoverished and where there is more crime. Sociologists in these countries sometimes turn this euphemism into a formal designation, applying the term "inner city" to such residential areas rather than to geographically more central commercial districts.

among other definitions

When you type "inner City Schools" into Google, every result you get is describing public schools, falling apart, endemic dropouts, in poor decrepit areas of large cities, with minorities crowded into them, , lack of resources, poor test scores, poverty, and numerous other problems that plague them.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And so, Flashy finally decides to answer the question about what is the "inner city". Good for you. Now, it's time to take you to school. So, sit down and pay attention.
and so finally, Vinyl Boy once again ignores something or cannot read...because i stated the answer to the question *YESTERDAY* before you even asked the question, moron.

http://www.lpsg.org/2003312-post43.html

good for you, now it is time for you to learn to read.

and maybe you should go back to school, since you missed the definition yesterday, moron.

Going by the definition you posted from Answers.com, you assume that the "inner city" is a neighborhood in which low-income, minority groups predominate.
Nice try. The way you ignore facts is rather amazing.

I did not post "the definition". I posted *5* different definitions, from different sources, collected on Answers.com from different sources

which you conveniently either ignored or lied about...again

this coming from the guy who seemed to miss the original definition i provided of inner city.

i know reading comprehension is not your strong suit, so here it is again. Accompanied by several others

"A general term for impoverished areas of large cities. The inner city is characterized by minimal educational opportunities, high unemployment and crime rates, broken families, and inadequate housing."

"The usually older, central part of a city, especially when characterized by crowded neighborhoods in which low-income, often minority groups predominate."

"The term often refers to densely populated blighted areas characterized by low-income residents and a high proportion of minority racial and ethnic groups."

"An area at or near the city centre with dilapidated housing, derelict land, and declining industry."

"the term is often applied to the poorer parts of the city centre and is sometimes used as a euphemism with the connotation of being an area, perhaps a ghetto or slum, where residents are less educated and more impoverished and where there is more crime."

http://www.lpsg.org/2004902-post77.html

your stated "definition" above - "a neighborhood in which low-income, minority groups predominate"

is incomplete and inaccurate. You neglected to mention, a wide variety of other factors, other than just having lower-income minority groups as the predominant group.

such as minimal educational opportunities, high unemployment and crime rates, broken families, and inadequate housing."

densely populated blighted areas

dilapidated housing, derelict land, and declining industry

And so, since "minorities" do not predominate in Hackensack or any of the cities listed in the elite eighteen schools you don't consider them to be inner cities. BIG MISTAKE
um yeah...nice try...actually, according to your census figures, Minorities do predominate in Hackensack.

As of the census[6] of 2000, there were 42,677 people, 18,113 households, and 9,545 families residing in the city. The population density was 10,358.3 people per square mile (3,999.4/km²). There were 18,945 housing units at an average density of 4,598.2/sq mi (1,775.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 52.61% White, 24.65% African American, 0.45% Native American, 7.45% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 9.71% from other races, and 5.08% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 25.92% of the population.

you will notice that the "white" population is 52.61%...you of course missed the fact that Hispanic and Latino of any race were 25.92%...so considering that when you add it up the numbers come out to be above 100% at 125.92%

Thus, it is safe to say that of the "white" population, a portion are latinos, which drops the caucasian population below 50%. Thus, not predominant.

Minorities also are the predominant group in many of the other areas of the schools listed, such as

boroughs-
Manhattan (According to the 2005-2007 American Community Survey, 48.4% non-Hispanic White alone)

Bronx (According to the 2005-2007 American Community Survey Estimates, 13.0% non-Hispanic White alone),

Brooklyn (According to the 2005-2007 American Community Survey Estimates, 36.2% non-Hispanic White alone),

Richmond
Cerritos
Durham

AND a typical one from someone who is as socially ignorant as yourself. What you don't know is that the "inner city" can also be considered to be the part of the city that is most prosperous. Where housing is the most expensive, and where elites and high-income individuals dwell. In other words, there is no official definition of "inner city".
LOL LOL LOL...nice how you forgot to quote the highlighted part from wiki

yes, well, I cannot wait to tell my parents tomorrow, that their apartment on 5th Avenue is in fact in the inner city. That way they can tell all their friends and business associates, that they have been wrong all these years, and have been actually living in the "inner city" instead of Park, Madison and 5th Avenue.

I will have to inform my friend who just bought a beautiful apartment on Park avenue for him and his young family that he has been duped. He is actually moving into the real inner city.

"can" be considered, does not mean it is. Nobody refers to the most prosperous, most expensive and elite parts of the city as the "inner city". here in the United States. Last i checked, we were not in Paris, Rome, Melbourne or Baku

convenient that "Poverty and crime are more associated with the distant suburbs" in that wiki.

so you have proven the point. Overseas, in some places "suburbs" are looked at as the crime and low income areas...wheras here, the inner cities are.

thanks for proving the point.

we are in the USA, and in the USA, Inner City has a negative connotation. But let me know when you move to Baku, so you can begin using the "suburbs" term pejoratively.

It's just a slang term that has as a number of interpretations that will differ based on the social attitudes of the person using it. Inner city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
umm, actually, no...it is not "slang"

this is slang

"A kind of language occurring chiefly in casual and playful speech, made up typically of short-lived coinages and figures of speech that are deliberately used in place of standard terms for added raciness, humor, irreverence, or other effect."

Inner cities is now referred to with usual predictability by everyone from politicians, to businessmen to citizens and is used to refer to the negative definitions i stated above, not the most expensive parts of the city.

examples

Inner-City Filmmakers

was created in 1993 as a non-profit organization dedicated to creating lasting positive change in the lives of inner-city youth.

Inner City Impact

You can make a difference in the life of an inner city kid.

Inner City Outings Home Page > Sierra Club

Inner City Outings Program, a community outreach program of the Sierra Club that provides low-income, inner city youth with trips to ...

somehow, i do not believe that these organizations are talking about going to help the folks living on Park Avenue...unless of course it is Park Avenue in Baku.

and here is a paper written by our very own President Obama...was he talking about the elites on Michigan Avenue in Chicago?

it was entitled:

"Why Organize? Problems and Promise in the Inner City"

by Barack Obama

For three years Barack Obama was the director of Developing Communities Project, an institutionally based community organization on Chicago's far south side. He has also been a consultant and instructor for the Gamaliel Foundation, an organizing institute working throughout the Midwest. Currently he is studying law at Harvard University. "Why Organize? Problems and Promise in the Inner City" was first published in the August/ September 1988 Illinois Issues [published by then-Sangamon State University, which is now the University of Illinois at Springfield].
By Barack Obama
(c) 1990 Illinois Issues, Springfield, Illinois

---

So let's cut out your bullshit, shall we? It has nothing to do with social attitudes. It is common usage nowadays, from everyone from the President on down to posters on LPSG.

you're wrong.

again.

enough said

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Was that the reason why you acted as if you knew what I was "hinting" when I said "that line" a few pages back? Seriously, Flashy... you've NEVER met a brother of my magnitude before.

um actually i have met many "brothers" far above your magnitude before.

You spin vinyl, you are not Robert Johnson or Muddy Waters.

The "brothers" i have met and meet, work at hedge funds, private equity firms, law firms, sports management firms.

Your "magnitude" is rather low compared to them. You spin records and work at a software shop. I know black men who trade 10s of millions of dollars worth of stocks, bonds and currencies with a single word over the phone, who are brilliant, and make you look like the retard you are.

My father was a member of a program that helpd young african americans by mentoring them at his communications company. he also supported programs that sponsored deserving "brothers" at private schools here in NYC.

over 12 of them were helped. They are each so far above you in magnitude that it is not funny. 6 of the 12 went on to achieve masters degrees and 3 received PH.Ds

All are highly successful professionals these days, and all still send us updates on how they and their families are now doing as they live their successful and happy lives.

I tutored 4 kids as part of my school's outreach programs here in NYC when i was younger. All of them are far higher in magnitude then you. One is a lawyer, one is a psychologist and two work in finance.

you are nothing compared to them but an angry, ignorant fool

So don't assume the obvious when approaching me because I'll always surprise you.

yes...like how you now have claimed that park Avenue is the inner city...that sure is a surprise.

I don't look at an inner city as a euphemism for "the ghetto" or "the slum". I gave you my definition of what an inner city was before I even decided to break down the numbers and you happily ignored it.

funny that you only "broke down" the numbers well *AFTER* i'd done it. When you did, you also neglected to mention the *SCHOOL* numbers. You simply provided links to the Census...quite a breakdown of the facts.

I was the one who actually broke things down, with school stats, locations, and even pictures so you could not lie about it and get away with it.

I also don't assume that only minorities live in these areas because if you look at all of the cities you'll see that poor, low income areas are not all predominated by Blacks, Latinos, Asians or minorities.

No they aren't all predominated by those groups, but they predominate most.

actually, the vast majority of poor whites tend to live in more rural areas. You know, rednecks? Poor rural whites are one of the largest poverty groups in this nation in every category. Ever heard of Appalachia?

The facts are, that yes, small portions of whites do live in some of the poorer areas of inner cities.

that still does not change things.

You do. And that is why you're sitting here adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing numbers from the US Census acting as if the answer is obvious.

Um, actually i don't. Most poor whites live outside of cities, that is a fact. Most poor whties ddo not, in fact, inhabit the inner cities in great numbers.

i suppose you never heard of "white flight"

as for the "census" numbers...that is the only factual thing you have posted...and that still does not change the fact that not one of those 18 schools is located in the inner city, at all, in any way.

you can keep trying to obfuscate as much as you want.

the facts remain

-none of those schools are in the "inner cities"
-you did not address the actual numbers of the school populations, cause you can't dispute them

the facts are, that of those 18 schools, only 5 had a student body where the overwhelming majority was not white.

and of those 5 where the majority wasn't white, 4 were majority Asian, and one was majority Hispanic.

- All the schools, with the exception of the NYC schools, are suburban. Teh NYC schools of the 4 NYC schools, 3 are in overwhelmingly good areas. 1 is in a decent area.

none are "inner city" schools, unless of course, we are going by the commonly accepted definition you have brought from Baku.

The only thing that you've proven by posting your so-called findings is something I already proven several pages ago.

yes. that none of these schools are "inner city" schools

So again, I still stand by my statements. What you probably didn't realize you were doing in the process of trying to prove me wrong is expose your own prejudices and social ignorance.

there is a difference between social prejudice and concrete fact.

those numbers and facts don't lie and you cannot dispute them. Stand by your statements all you want.

The overwhelming majority of those schools are suburban, and the ones that are urban, are not "inner city" except by the definition of Baku...but since we are in the USA not Azerbaijan, you're wrong.

so again.

None of those schools are "inner city".
African Americans are underwhelmingly represented at those schools with the exception of perhaps 2.

taht is what the numbers say. Call it prejudice if you want. I will call it a fact. They are as factual as the truth that you are black and i am white.

Facts are facts.

I'm sure many people would love to know why you assume any area in our country with a high minority count and low income families as a ghetto or a slum.

actually, i never said that, but it was nice for you to attempt to just throw things and see what sticks.

I never said that.

I simply have offered the definitions of inner cities.

chances are though, sadly, in this country today, predominant minority areas with low income do tend to be predisposed to being either a very bad neighborhood, or in close proximity to one.

The only way that is not the case is if they are in safer suburban enclaves and more rural environments where prices are lower and housing more affordable...but that is the divergence.

Not my fault.

Nice one, Skippy... REALLY nice.

thank you. It has been interesting watching you dance around the facts for the last couple of pages attempting to cloud the fundamental issue

guess what?

you are still wrong....not one of those schools is an inner city school

Tell me, was your desperation in trying to shoot your adversary down worth exposing your own closeted bigotry? Inquiring minds want to know, Flashy...

LOL...i have no desperation.

the facts favor my position.
the geography favors my position.
the statistics of the schools favor my position
the definition of inner city favors my position

it certainly was worth exposing you to the facts, and your hysterical forays into desperate cries of racism when facts don't favor you was a predictable result from this...

but guess what?

You are still wrong...there is only one school on that list that could be even considered close to "inner city"...and way back when this began, you said that all 5 of the initial schools you listed were "inner city".

and you are still wrong, several pages on.

If the facts that none of these schools are "inner city" schools makes me a "bigot" so be it.

you simply cannot admit you are wrong about those schools. Attempts to label me a bigot do not change the outcome that has been proven conclusively, with facts, figures, maps, pictures and student populations, plus your very helpful census links, that you were too lazy to actually publish here.

those facts say you are wrong.

and please, don't try to use Math to get yourself out of this one. Even the US Census can't save you now.

actually, you used the census, not me...and you didn't prove anything with it, other then you can link to it...the facts still favor my position no matter how much you whine.

i provided the relevant facts...

the school populations and their locations and the fact that they are not inner city schools...i know it is tough for you to handle...

you simply go round and round, attempting to clutter things.

then again since all you do is watch records spin around, it is understandable.

but guess what?

those schools still, after all your desperate attempts, are not inner city schools.

thanks for playing.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
and so finally, Vinyl Boy once again ignores something or cannot read...because i stated the answer to the question *YESTERDAY* before you even asked the question

Well let's see, Flashy... you need like 3 posts in a row to answer simple questions. And considering that each post on this forum can take only 10,000 words, why does it sometimes take you close to 30,000 of them? Why don't you learn how to get to the point once in a while and stop rambling on like an idiot? Maybe then your answers will become clearer.

Nice try. The way you ignore facts is rather amazing.

I haven't ignored anything. I already said my piece using my sources, while you repeated yours about 3 friggin' times. I'm not going to read, re-read and then re-re-read the same garbage. Try to keep up with the pace of the discussion instead of trying to harp on one small bullet point over and over and over. Besides, wasn't it you that took 8 paragraphs to whine & bitch about the same one issue just a few posts ago? :rolleyes:

I did not post "the definition". I posted *5* different definitions, from different sources, collected on Answers.com from different sources

Doesn't mater how many definitions you posted... it's what YOU interpret them to be. The term inner city is slang and it has no definitive answer. Besides, the Answers.com article had MULTIPLE explanations of the same term including one paraphrased from the same Wikipedia source that I used. Seriously, did I have to click on ALL of your links? I already knew what you implied without you even posting ONE LINK. I just wanted you to confirm it first.

your stated "definition" above - "a neighborhood in which low-income, minority groups predominate"

Excuse me? And you're telling me I can't read? Where did I say that this was my definition of "inner city"? Here's my actual statement that you once again misinterpreted:

Going by the definition you posted from Answers.com, you assume that the "inner city" is a neighborhood in which low-income, minority groups predominate.

Again, where in that sentence does it say that I think that? It doesn't. You fail English, but nice try anyhow.

um yeah...nice try...actually, according to your census figures, Minorities do predominate in Hackensack.

Actually, I didn't take the Census so these numbers aren't mine. And if you look at them, it does show that caucasions make up the majority in Hackensack. Then again, if you followed ANY kind of common sense you'd realize that caucasions would make up the majority of most major cities because that race makes up the majority of our country's composition. So for you to sit here and analyze data and look for the few cities where an actual minority does have the majority is not only stupid, it shows that you're picking at straws to find any reason to stand by your own prejudicial statements.

yes, well, I cannot wait to tell my parents tomorrow, that their apartment on 5th Avenue is in fact in the inner city. That way they can tell all their friends and business associates, that they have been wrong all these years, and have been actually living in the "inner city" instead of Park, Madison and 5th Avenue.

That's because you and your so-called friends view the "inner city" as a poor, low income ghetto overrun by minorities. Is it my fault that I don't conform or define my life to that stereotype?

"can" be considered, does not mean it is. Nobody refers to the most prosperous, most expensive and elite parts of the city as the "inner city". here in the United States. Last i checked, we were not in Paris, Rome, Melbourne or Baku

Doesn't matter. You're trying to give a definitive answer to a slang term that has no precise definition. If it did, then every single definition we posted up to this point from third party sources would have said the same thing. But they don't.

we are in the USA, and in the USA, Inner City has a negative connotation.

Don't make this about the United States because you don't represent all of them. Make this about what this shit really is... YOU. Since you're in the USA and you've heard your people use the term negatively, you assume it to be and live your life in that manner. Again, that's YOUR fault. Not mine. I was born and raised in this country. My family never referred to the "inner city" as the ghetto, or the poor part of town. When I went to neighborhoods that were mainly caucasion, they had no problem saying the "ghetto" when they were talking about a poor area and calling Boston the "inner city". So please, stop trying to shove YOUR interpretation of a slang term down my throat.

umm, actually, no...it is not "slang"

Yes it is, Flashy. You have already associated the term "inner city" to terms like "the ghetto", which is precisely a slang word or a figure of speech to describe a poor neighborhood. Without your belief in one, the other wouldn't have any meaning. So please, pay more attention to your own actions instead of trying to teach someone English. You already failed in that previously.

Inner cities is now referred to with usual predictability by everyone from politicians, to businessmen to citizens and is used to refer to the negative definitions i stated above, not the most expensive parts of the city.

And really, EVERYONE does this? Have you taken your own census poll and came to this conclusion? Or is this another one of your pathetic assumptions that you have been taught to live by?

Society adopts slang terms or figures of speech to quickly identify something. For many (including yourself), inner city became a colloquialism to define a older, poor & more densely populated area. Even in Webster's Dictionary, the term is listed as such. inner city - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

But the key word in that definition is "usually". Which means it's commonly used in that manner. That doesn't mean that IT IS. There's a distinct difference in what people associate things to and what is definitive. Enough people have used the term "inner city" around you to associate it the way you interpret it. I was raised differently. Neither your or my interpretation of the term is "wrong" as you put it in your desperate need to be right for something. Even THE DICTIONARY doesn't give it a real authoritative answer. So stop trying to shove your views down my throat like it is one.

So let's cut out your bullshit, shall we? It has nothing to do with social attitudes.

Ummmmm... yes it does. The term differs based on how you're brought up. Haven't you figured this shit out yet, stupid?? Seriously, how can we even have a discussion about this if we can't even come to terms about something like this? You're a joke, Skippy... a sad, unfunny joke.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well let's see, Flashy... you need like 3 posts in a row to answer simple questions. And considering that each post on this forum can take only 10,000 words, why does it sometimes take you close to 30,000 of them? Why don't you learn how to get to the point once in a while and stop rambling on like an idiot? Maybe then your answers will become clearer.
I need "like" three posts? Learn to speak.

Those 3 posts encapsulate all your quotes, plus my stats & figures that completely refute all your lies.

1. Wrong again. Each post can take only 10,000 CHARACTERS, not words.

2. Whether or not i bullet point them, like with the student populations, link a picture like with the school campus, or quote, you still lie & ignore them. The points are crystal clear. You just cannot handle that they have proven you wrong over & over in this thread

In the above response, you of course neglected to go back & acknowledge the fact that you have been proven wrong, comprehensively. That is the that not *ONE* of the schools on the list is an inner city school, and only two at best could be considered remotely close.

convenient how you have still ignored that, which is the whole point of our debate.

You are wrong. Deal with it.

I haven't ignored anything. I already said my piece using my sources, while you repeated yours about 3 friggin' times. I'm not going to read, re-read and then re-re-read the same garbage. Try to keep up with the pace of the discussion instead of trying to harp on one small bullet point over and over and over. Besides, wasn't it you that took 8 paragraphs to whine & bitch about the same one issue just a few posts ago? :rolleyes:
Fascinating. except your "piece" was wrong.

You used *ZERO* sources.

You provided links to the census for certain areas, nothing more. They proved nothing other than population in certain areas.

I included
- exact geography & photos
- exact student body populations
- same census/stats you cited

and my stats *AND* yours proved you wrong conclusively.

I did take 8 paragraphs since you can't seem to fathom it.

here it is again.

You lied and are wrong. Of the 18 schools, only Bronx Science or BErgen Tech could even hope to be considered an "Inner City School".

Doesn't mater how many definitions you posted... it's what YOU interpret them to be. The term inner city is slang and it has no definitive answer.
LOL. wrong.

"Hood" is slang. "Inner City" is not.

Inner City is used by nearly everyone, most notably highly important black people too

It does matter how many definitions i posted, because all are commonly agreed upon definitions, that say conclusively there is a definitive answer. That being, you are wrong.

It has nothing to do with "personal interpretation".

it has very definitive non-slang connotations & is used by President Obama rather often.

Besides, the Answers.com article had MULTIPLE explanations of the same term including one paraphrased from the same Wikipedia source that I used. Seriously, did I have to click on ALL of your links? I already knew what you implied without you even posting ONE LINK. I just wanted you to confirm it first.
Actually, you did not have to click on any links. I posted the exact definitions, italicized, specifically because i knew how difficult it is for you to click a link since it requires mammalian intelligence not that of an amoeba

the answers.com page had you read it, had multiple definitions, collected from different sources, giving the reader a variety of the most definite answers from a number of sources.

If you had looked carefully you would see that each was a particular dictionary definition

Science
Business
Geography
Real Estate and Wiki

so let's go again with more -

inner city
n. The usually older, central part of a city, especially when characterized by crowded neighborhoods in which low-income, often minority groups predominate.

in'ner-cit'y (ĭn'ər-sĭ'tē) adj.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
Copyright © 2006 by Houghton Mifflin Company
-

inner city

A general term for impoverished areas of large cities. The inner city is characterized by minimal educational opportunities, high unemployment and crime rates, broken families, and inadequate housing. (See ghettos.)

The American Heritage® New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, 3rd Edition
Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Inner City is not slang.

Excuse me? And you're telling me I can't read? Where did I say that this was my definition of "inner city"? Here's my actual statement that you once again misinterpreted:

Again, where in that sentence does it say that I think that? It doesn't. You fail English, but nice try anyhow.
congratulations. you found the one mistake i made. When i make an error, i can own up to it, unlike you, who ignore yours & move along or don't include those points in your responses.

I guess i was still confused from your various other definitions of inner cities that were:

1. "For the sake of my argument, I consider these to be cities where one particular race does not have more than 2/3rds of the total population."

http://www.lpsg.org/2003513-post51.html

(8th response)

or

2. "What you don't know is that the "inner city" can also be considered to be the part of the city that is most prosperous. Where housing is the most expensive, and where elites and high-income individuals dwell."

http://www.lpsg.org/2005301-post88.html

and of course your furious response to that absurd notion when i stated that definition was used abroad in certain foreign cities like Baku and Paris, where the suburbs are considered the slums.

when i make a citing error, i own up to it, unlike you. Like when you said that three of the schools were in the Bronx and Brooklyn, i corrected you, and you merely ignored it, like you always do.

your contention:

That four schools (more than any other city), 3 of them in Brooklyn and The Bronx.

my response, which of course you ignored:

Nice how you got that list completely wrong *AGAIN*

3 of them are not in Brooklyn and the Bronx, dumbass.

there are 4 schools in NYC

Stuyvesant is in Tribeca, you clown, which is in MANHATTAN
Hunter is in Carnegie Hall, between MAdison and Park, which is MANHATTAN
Brooklyn Tech is in Brooklyn
Bronx Science is in the Bronx

that makes 1 each in Brooklyn and the Bronx

1+1 = 2

http://www.lpsg.org/2004897-post75.html

of course there are several more, but since you don't like reading facts, why bother?

Actually, I didn't take the Census so these numbers aren't mine. And if you look at them, it does show that caucasions make up the majority in Hackensack.
they are a citable source, they are *YOUR* numbers for our discussion here. Since i have agreed on the census numbers as a reliable & agreed measure for our discussion, what exactly is your problem with them now?

You were bitching a couple of pages ago about how we cannot "agree on a definition" of "inner city" & now are whining about numbers you introduced?

Christ, grow up

and no, the white population of Hackensack includes a portion of the Hispanic numbers at the bottom.

The census numbers said "White"

Hispanics/Latinos of N.Am/S.Am descent are not considered caucasians

wrong again.

Then again, if you followed ANY kind of common sense you'd realize that caucasions would make up the majority of most major cities because that race makes up the majority of our country's composition.
Totally and completely wrong.

If you followed any kind of common sense, you'd actually look at the same census statistics and see you screwed that up royally. but then again you do not think

You'd know minorities congregate in major cities at a much higher rate than caucasians

there is no guarantee that because caucasians are the majority they would
"make up the majority of most major cities because that race makes up the majority of our country's composition"

complete nonsense

the census statistics below say you are dead wrong again. MOst Major Cities have minority populations that are the majority.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"So for you to sit here and analyze data and look for the few cities where an actual minority does have the majority is not only stupid,"
it shows that you're picking at straws to find any reason to stand by your own prejudicial statements.
hmm yes the "FEW" cities where minorities are a majority
(i included close ones for your perusal)

cities over 200,000 people
data: US CENSUS

Minority Populations As Majority in BOLD
40-49% Minority Pop's in Red
(numbers are minority pop.)
Birmingham,Alabama-185,757 76.5%
Montgomery,Alabama-106,857 52.9%

Phoenix,Arizona-583,902 44.2%
Tucson,Arizona-222,908 45.8%
Aurora,Colorado-112,768 40.8%

Denver,Colorado-266,780 48.1%
Washington DC-413,027 72.2%
Hialeah,Florida-208,079 91.9%

Miami,Florida-319,619 88.2%
Tampa,Florida-148,689 49%
Atlanta,Georgia-286,118 68.7%
Honolulu,Hawaii-302,157 81.3%
Chicago,Illinois-1,989,563 68.7%

Baton Rouge,Louisiana-125,983 55.3%
Shreveport,Louisiana-108,278 54.1%
Baltimore,Maryland-449,296 69%

Boston,Massachusetts-297,516 50.5%
Detroit,Michigan-851,387 89.5%

Kansas City,Missouri-187,215 42.4%
St. Louis,Missouri-198,816 57.1%
Las Vegas,Nevada-200,942 42%
Jersey City,New Jersey-183,402 76.4%
Newark,New Jersey-234,703 85.8%

Albuquerque,New Mexico-224,752 50.1%
Buffalo,New York-141,056 48.2%
New York City,New York-5,205,381 65%
Rochester,New York-122,414 55.7%

Charlottle,North Carolina-242,832 44.9%
Greensboro,North Carolina-103,885 46.4%

Cincinnati,Ohio-157,360 47.5%
Cleveland,Ohio-292,783 61.2%
Philadelphia,Pennsylvania-872,591 57.5%
Memphis,Tennessee-433,617 66.7%
Arlington,Texas-134,520 40.4%
Austin,Texas-309,241 47.1%

Corpus Christi,Texas-170,634 61.5%
Dallas,Texas-777,331 65.4%
El Paso,Texas-460,512 81.7%
Fort Worth,Texas-289,804 54.2%

Garland,Texas-100,764 46.7%
Houston,Texas-1,351,913 69,2%
San Antonio,Texas-780,649 68.2%
Norfolk,Virginia-124,234 53%
Milwaukee,Wisconsin-325,948 54.6%
Anaheim,California-210,257 64.1%

Bakersfield,California-120,811 48.9%
Fremont,California-119,200 58.6%
Fresno,California-268,138 62.7%
Long Beach,California-308,758 66.9%
Los Angeles,California-2,597,458 70.3%
Oakland,California-305,605 76.5%
Riverside,California-138,810 54.4%
Sacramento,California-242,176 59.5%
San Diego,California-619,040 50.6%
San Francisco,California-438,077 56.4%
San Jose,California-572,764 64%
Santa Ana,California-296,068 87.6%

Stockton,California-165,277 67.8%

Little more than a "FEW" huh?

might want to check your figures next time.

we'll see if you acknowledge that.

of course you won't

That's because you and your so-called friends view the "inner city" as a poor, low income ghetto overrun by minorities. Is it my fault that I don't conform or define my life to that stereotype?
actually it is not just me & my friends. It is virtually everyone on the topic of the cities, high unemployment, failing schools, crime, overcrowding, lack of housing etc.

Doesn't matter. You're trying to give a definitive answer to a slang term that has no precise definition. If it did, then every single definition we posted up to this point from third party sources would have said the same thing. But they don't.
Still not a slang term.
unless major black leaders, intellectuals, scholars, activists etc. are using "slang".

they are using the definitive answers i printed. not your absurdities.
apparently, they believe the various definitions i provided, not your silly desperate attempts to skirt the definitions.

names provided below.

Don't make this about the United States because you don't represent all of them. Make this about what this shit really is... YOU. Since you're in the USA and you've heard your people use the term negatively, you assume it to be and live your life in that manner. Again, that's YOUR fault. Not mine. I was born and raised in this country.
yes, i guess we can simply excise the definitions stated by black people below.*YOUR* people, by definition, since you want to play it that way.

oh by the way, i was born & raised in this country too. what you said makes no sense.

"your" people.

"Why Organize? Problems and Promise in the Inner City"

by Barack Obama
was first published in the August/ September 1988 Illinois Issues
(c) 1990 Illinois Issues, Springfield, Illinois

---

Dreams from My Father, 1996.
"In my legal practice, I work mostly with churches and community groups, men and women who quietly build grocery stores and health clinics in the inner city, and housing for the poor,'' -Obama .

-

It doesn't matter what you're trying to accomplish. It's all a matter of discipline. I was determined to discover what life held for me beyond the inner-city streets.

Wilma Rudolph

--

Inner city education must change. Our responsibility is not merely to provide access to knowledge; we must produce educated people.
James L. Farmer, Jr.

-

At HISD, all of our students are making tremendous progress; we are leaving no one behind. We are proving that inner-city kids, many of them from very poor households, can and will learn.
~ Rod Paige

-
A great number of those who live in inner-city communities have no vested interest in the country and the result is destruction. We can start by returning pride to the inner city and I would recommend that Parade be renamed Marcus Garvey Square,
~ Howard Hamilton

-

This reeks of racism. What's going to happen to our inner-city kids? They are going to get an average, mundane education offered to them at best.
~ Jackie Wagstaff

-

Make no mistake about it, we lost a generation of inner-city players along the way. I think that starting today, with the opening of the field here in Compton, we will stop the erosion of inner-city players.
~ Joe Morgan

-

I think the inner-city kids are going to lose out on opportunities that other districts may get. I think they lose out already. The schools are different. The activities are different. I think this bill is just going to make things worse instead of better.
~ Regina Anderson

-

The numbers represent to me [that] still in the inner city there's a lack of resources and education. It's as if nobody cares.
~ Harry Terrell

-

There's a perception among African-American kids that they're not welcome here, that baseball is not for inner-city kids. It's not true, and I hate that the perception is out there.
~ Joe Morgan

--
This is crazy. I never thought I'd see anything like this. It's exciting. Coming from one of the inner city schools, we had a shadow hanging over our heads - 'We're not going to be nothing, we don't have a positive attitude' - so it's definitely a great thing just being here.
~ Nate Washington

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My family never referred to the "inner city" as the ghetto, or the poor part of town. When I went to neighborhoods that were mainly caucasion, they had no problem saying the "ghetto" when they were talking about a poor area and calling Boston the "inner city". So please, stop trying to shove YOUR interpretation of a slang term down my throat.
Beacon Hill really has that "inner city" feel to it.

i am sure that's what they meant :rolleyes:

As for my "interpretation", my great-great aunts & uncles and family friends' relatives, lived in the Warsaw Ghetto. You know, where they kept the jews?

i am more than familiar with ghettos.

Yes it is, Flashy. You have already associated the term "inner city" to terms like "the ghetto", which is precisely a slang word or a figure of speech to describe a poor neighborhood. Without your belief in one, the other wouldn't have any meaning. So please, pay more attention to your own actions instead of trying to teach someone English. You already failed in that previously.
ghetto is not slang. neither is inner-city.

'hood is.

it has nothing to do with belief. Ghetto's etymology goes back to *MY* people before America was even discovered. you have zero clue as usual. it goes back 7 centuries or so.

wiki-

The term 'ghetto' was originally used to refer to the Venetian Ghetto in Venice, Italy where Jews were forced to live. The word "ghetto" actually means "foundry" in Venetian dialect, used in this sense in a reference to a foundry located on the same island as the area of Jewish confinement.An alternative etymology is from Italian borghetto, diminutive of borgo ‘borough’.

--
The name is derived from the "campo gheto" an area that iron foundries located there in the 14th and 15th centuries used for cooling slag (Venetian "gheta"; Italian "ghetta"; from Latin GLITTU[M], GLITTUS)

--

as for failings, examine your own.

ghetto is not slang, neither is inner-city

yes, teach us all about english please.

And really, EVERYONE does this? Have you taken your own census poll and came to this conclusion? Or is this another one of your pathetic assumptions that you have been taught to live by?
yes, most everyone does this. Including the President of the United States.
perhaps you have heard of him.

I guess it would be an assumption, except the proof is in the quotes from noted black americans above.

wrong again

Society adopts slang terms or figures of speech to quickly identify something. For many (including yourself), inner city became a colloquialism to define a older, poor & more densely populated area. Even in Webster's Dictionary, the term is listed as such. inner city - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
indeed, society does adopt slang terms, such as "hood".

Inner City is not slang. Again.

Indeed, thank you for providing the link to the dictionary.

You will notice that the dictionary does not contain "slang"

"Hood" is not defined there

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Hood[3]

yet, strangely, inner city is. as such, it is not slang.

as for it being a colloquialism, if the President of the USA who is black is using it, I see zero problem using it.

But the key word in that definition is "usually". Which means it's commonly used in that manner. That doesn't mean that IT IS.
: the usually older, poorer, and more densely populated central section of a city

indeed. but the *USUALLY* is where your desperate bid comes falling down.

USUALLY

1 : accordant with usage, custom, or habit : normal 2 : commonly or ordinarily used 3 : found in ordinary practice or in the ordinary course of events : ordinary

everyone uses it one specific way, and has for quite awhile now.

There's a distinct difference in what people associate things to and what is definitive. Enough people have used the term "inner city" around you to associate it the way you interpret it.
you're right...including President Obama.

his interpretation is the same as mine. yours is simply desperate.

I was raised differently. Neither your or my interpretation of the term is "wrong" as you put it in your desperate need to be right for something. Even THE DICTIONARY doesn't give it a real authoritative answer. So stop trying to shove your views down my throat like it is one.
you may be the only person in the USA who doesn't acknowledge the facts of this particular term.

But then again, since you tried to claim the inner city USA as where the rich and elite live, it is rather unsurprising.

your desperate tactics have crumbled.

you have nothing left but desperate attempts at semantics to save the simple fact that you cannot refute to the original premise of debate, which is that only 2 of those elite 18 schools could even remotely hope to be classified as "inner city schools".

Ummmmm... yes it does. The term differs based on how you're brought up. Haven't you figured this shit out yet, stupid?? Seriously, how can we even have a discussion about this if we can't even come to terms about something like this? You're a joke, Skippy... a sad, unfunny joke.
ummmm no it doesn't.

President Obama uses it in the same terms that i and most everybody else does.
To describe crowded, dilapidated, crime ridden areas, poor housing and failing schools in areas with high unemployment where the residents, almost always vastly minority, have little hope considering the tragic environment.

maybe you should "figure this shit out".

Your escalating anger & insults only prove that you have lost this particular battle.

You are the "stupid" one who cannot accept the term everyone knows applies.

since you don't really want to have the conversation anyway, since you lost the original one about those 18 schools being "inner city" schools, you have turned this into a desperate bid over one term, that the president of the united states and a vast majority of *ALL* americans in general use to very specific effect.

As for being a joke, you are the sad, unfunny one.

You have lost conclusively and now are desperately turning to nasty insults to save face.

I feel badly for you.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
"I feel like I'm a spectator at a ping pong match"

It's too bad the ping pong balls aren't returning over the net. Flashy just doesn't get what I'm saying because he thinks he's so right on the subject. He doesn't know how to view an argument from both sides. And after several pages of watching him defend his own prejudices in some lame attempt to try and discredit my beliefs, I feel as if I should just let the fool wallow in his own ignorance. No sense talking to someone if they can't even think outside the box once in a while.