Let's discuss this image!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by helgaleena, Aug 11, 2010.

1. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._390355647881_677402881_4271838_3773932_n.jpg

I am a Reformed Druid of North America and am trying to spread the art of satire. This image is concerned with United States politics.

So, does it make you laugh? Does it enrage you? Is it essentially true or false?

Since there was a recent thread here saying the Politics forum is not fun any more, I though this might help.

And yes, I am aware of that fine publication The Onion. I tried to get a job with them years ago but I wasn't funny enough. :rolleyes:

2. BIG_DAVE

BIG_DAVE Active Member

Albums:
    Admittedly I did chuckle then stop when I realise the messge behind it. I'm not 100% sure I'd agree with it but I'll be the first to admit American politics isn't my strong point but slowly but surely I'm educating myself on it! I wouldn't of said that Obama is taking the flak for bush's time in office but maybe there's something I'm not hearing! if someone could give me a heads up please send me a link!

3. BadBoyCanada

BadBoyCanada New Member

I've always thought history will be kinder to GWB.

He was a goofball, but the so called "checks and balances" could have prevented much of what is blamed on him, when dems controlled both houses.

To me, the picture seems like a partisan stab at the right by an Obama supporter.

I'm also of the opinion the economy does what it does, and governments have a lot less control than they like to believe.

4. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Seriously, it's false. Obama got elected by massive Wall Street backing, which has the same vested interest in war continuance & propagation as the Bush/ NeoCon era. Indeed, he has many of the same staff, & a love of Goldman Sachs alumni/ae (look I'm being PC with Latin).

Obama isn't even considered black across the pond - he's mixed race, & never brought up by one black person.

That said, I'm sure a lot of people will like it, as it will prey upon their own anti-Bush bigotries, which is fair enough, though ignoring the source of BO's power isn't.

I still find it odd that Obama is considered an academic, despite his records not being released, & Bush having a better academic record than Gore or Kelly.

That said, while Obama did admit to puffing the herb, it's obvious that Bush probably puffed the entire crop.

#4 B_crackoff, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  5. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I got a chuckle out of it... because in many ways, that sentiment describes the political strategy of the current Republican party.

All this talk about no longer blaming Bush when some of them still blame Jimmy Carter for problems we experience today, and a deliberate attempt to stall and block the passage of important legislation in the Senate to portray our government and the current administration as a do nothing bunch. Shallow complaints about Health Care Reform, relabeling it as Obamacare to rally up their buzzword reacting minions, when they have no plan whatsoever. Dishonestly screaming about federal spending, while they try to protect tax cuts for the richest people that will add billions of dollars to the deficit.

And so forth, and so forth...

6. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

I think Obama is black. Im from The UK....

I think its funny. Obama is backed by big business but that doesnt make Bush's tenure ok.

7. LetsGo2007

LetsGo2007 New Member

Albums:
    LOL I think it's funny as hell. :D

8. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Helgaleena, I've just seen the origin of the movement. Lol. But obviously, congrats on how it has progressed.

I'm still not happy with their, & other nouveau Druidic Beltane dates! I was born on Beltane, & my real name was chosen because of it! And it was never 1 May!

9. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Fair enough,but the whole American ethos derives from the old racist "one drop of blood" crap.

Most Britons would say mixed race when it's clear that there are European features. Why deny one colour or heritage based on perceived skin tone?

10. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, we are considered by many a spoof religion. But Nature is good. The 'reformed' means we don't burn people in wicker cages this time of year any longer, nor toss folk in the bogs.

IME the dates of seasonal celebrations in Neopaganism are usually shifted by the person in charge of any public festivity to coincide with the weekend, or the moon, or the asteroids, or whatever suits their particular congregation. When I was studying south Asian history there were many calendars to choose among, and the same is true in European history. Moreover since we are most of us in North America in RDNA, the land is also subject to indigenous traditional practices, if we are being fair.

Myself I never liked Dubya and Cheney and the money behind them, and was much disheartened by the endemic malpractice revealed in the Florida election controversy resulting in their second term.

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...' I would enjoy it if others post links to satiric images too.

11. ColoradoGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm not sure if your comment was an attempt at irony, but in case it was based on ignorance, let's review these facts about President Obama's academic record:

1. Accepted to Harvard Law School.
    2. Graduated magna cum laude (top 10% of his class) from Harvard Law School in 1991 with a J.D.
    3. Selected as an editor of the Harvard Law Review.
    4. Elected President of the Law Review (although this is not an academic achievement).
    5. Served as a professor at the University of Chicago's Law School for 12 years teaching constitutional law.
    Graduating from Harvard Law school magna cum laude and putting in twelve years lecturing on a subject like constitutional law sounds like a pretty solid qualification for "academic" achievement, IMHO. Next time you get ready to post, consider three points:

• Check your facts and only state facts. Cite those facts, so others can see that that you understand the difference between the Politics Forum and the more creatively-inspired Fictitious Stories Forum.
    • Generalizations are acceptable if they are relevant and provide background (e.g. "the temperature in the winter is usually lower than it is in the summer").
    • If you need to include an opinion, clearly label it as such (i.e. "in my opinion" or the shorthand equivalent "IMHO").

12. TopDudeFtl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Yes, not in the least bit & yes!

13. houtx48

Gold Member

"still find it odd that Obama is considered an academic, despite his records not being released, & Bush having a better academic record than Gore or Kelly" ................... Bush could not pour piss out of a boot if the instructions were printed on the bottom of the heel. When Zippy W. moved to Dallas the Intelligence Quotation dropped 35 points and Dallas does not any room for error.

14. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    What TopDudeFtl said.

15. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    :biggrin1:yes, it is essentially true or false ...?

16. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Perhaps you could do the same? I've never heard of a 49 year old academic who has never produced 1 sheet of scholarly work!

And selected should be elected surely.

He must have had amazing grades to get into Harvard, especially after a 5 year gap? What were they?

How was he ever a professor? Professor's by definition have tenure - he was a senior lecturer.

17. D_Rosalind Mussell

D_Rosalind Mussell New Member

I laughed, as I've never been a George Dubya supporter. I don't blame everything on him, as every president inherits a certain amount of b.s. from the previous presidency, but I do blame him for not taking at least a little bit of responsibility for how the US turned out after 8 years under his administration. He did state that he resented the fact that he was blamed for so much, but how could we not? If memory serves me correctly, he came into the presidency with the budget in a decent state and jobs were flourishing. He leaves 2 wars, an unsuccessful search for WMD and his oil holdings padded like a motherfucker. Add the Dick Cheney-Halliburton shit to the mix and it starts to feel like we've been bent over without the benefit of lube, reach-around or thank you. Yeah, I'm bitter...and no, I'm no political expert by any means. Just a regular citizen giving my view.

18. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

I'm very glad you don't burn people anymore!

There's a fine line between satire & ridicule, & unfortunately few true talented misanthropes - who clearly are the most unbiased satirists, & with all the legal challenges...

I prefer satirists who attack everyone at some point, even stuff that makes oneself uncomfortable, & yes all politicians are gits. Is there any ritual to get them to annually & publically humble/humiliate themselves each year.

If I find anything else I will post it.:wink:

Google Image Result for http://angela-stevens.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/political-cartoons1-thumb.gif

19. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    GW was in the skull and bones club at Harvard? or was it Yale? The one where they get drunk and do funny things with native american corpse parts....

http://skullandcrossbones.org/articles/skullandbones.htm

#19 helgaleena, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  20. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Talk about fishing for pathetic excuses. :rolleyes:
    Face facts. Obama did well in academics. Bush was a C-average student. Any other implications, and conspiracy-level speculations to suggest that somehow all of this is a lie is bullshit. Try to find something credible to agitate the libtards next time, OK?

Draft saved Draft deleted