Lets go Green...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by findfirefox, Aug 3, 2007.

1. findfirefox

Gold Member

Alright I'm not going to go off about global warming or anything...

I'm suggesting that we can gather as many people as possible and get them all using http://www.localcooling.com/ small software that basically assists you in setting up your computers power settings.

Setup the software and see how much you save. The file is quite small (so yes the Dialup customers can use it) and low in resource use as well (mine uses about 18mb of my memory)

The program has some nifty settings like "don't turn off before X time" and "don't turn off if X is running"

I made a Community Username and Password so all of us who use LPSG can track our totals together. (Can I note that this is not sponsored by the owner of the site)

Username- lpsg_is_green
    Password- golpsg

2. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I have no idea what that means, but on the subject of going green everyone should join their local freecycle sort of group, one man's trash is another man's treasure and what we'd consider sending to the tip someone else is glad of and can use in some way. I recently got two new sofas, I don't have the time or inclination to sell stuff, so instead of going to the tip my old sofa helped a young woman who'd been thrown out of her house by her husband set up home. It helped her and it also helped me by getting rid of them.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I've been using our local Freecycle site for several years now. The enormous computer desk I'm using only cost me a trip to the next town to bring it home in my van. I've gotten rid of lots of stuff like old Coleman Stoves, a 50 gallon aquarium, an old propane grill, etc. It's a great service. Like the Princess said, look 'em up in your area.

4. dong20

Gold Member

I added my internet PC, we have a ways to go...it seems. Rated 927 out of ???:smile:

Attached Files:

5. wldhoney

Gold Member

Albums:
    Firefox.....I am a computer moron....:redface: So I am not sure what this means? Computer power settings...like a light on a timer?

6. dong20

Gold Member

Each part of your PC uses power; the screen, the hard drives - long term storage, spinning magnetic discs, basically etc. Many PC's can be configured so that if you don't use your PC for a while, perhaps 30 mins the hard drives stop spinning, or the screen goes blank. A screen saver doesn't save power, quiet the reverse and it no longer saves the screen, those days are long gone.

A typical PC will use perhaps 150-300 watts of power depending on how powerful it is, how hard it's being used, and how many gadgets are attached and so on. This software just allows the savings made by not having drives spinning, or screens with fish on being ignored, to be calculated and, in this case aggregated to see, collectively, how much power a group of PCs have saved. :smile:

7. wldhoney

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks, dong20! I had no idea it did that. I always assumed when the screen went dark everything shut down.....duh! I will check it out.....and it will be great if it saves me a little on the electric bill! :)

8. dong20

Gold Member

It's not going to make you rich, but with zillions of PCs out there wasting power, as they say at Tesco, every little helps.

9. D_Herin_Ghan

D_Herin_Ghan Account Disabled

I thought this thread was about the NFL Jets when I clicked on it. Now I'm all disappointed:frown1:

10. wldhoney

Gold Member

Albums:
    Very, very true. Recycling is big in my area and I have so many friends into conservation. I will be passing the info along! :smile:

11. findfirefox

Gold Member

Wew, 2 PC's so far. I thought we had had a third member from chat... Anyway come on people!

12. dong20

Gold Member

Since I signed up, about 2hrs ago, I have saved:

0.001 trees
    0.017 Gallons (I assume that's US Gallons?)
    0.037 Kwh

:smile:

13. No_Strings

Gold Member

I'm a gamer, the costs of this outway the benefits, in my case. :tongue: (I've configured XP to turn off unused USB ports etc anyway.)

14. dong20

Gold Member

What costs?

15. findfirefox

Gold Member

It does not conserve power while the PC is in use, it only controls it while Idle, your game performance would not be altered.

16. No_Strings

Gold Member

You're right, I obviously scanned the site too quickly. :tongue:

But, it's a pretty irrelevant program? All the things that it does can be done through windows without any extraordinary computing knowledge. (It also underestimated the watt usage of my computer by a noticeable margin)

17. wldhoney

Gold Member

Albums:
    Does anyone remember how big the file is? I am on dial-up (yes, I know!), and it is still downloading! :)

18. dong20

Gold Member

2.63 Mb - about 7 mins at 56kb/s dialup.

19. dong20

Gold Member

I know, but think of the sense of community it brings...Also, it seems not everyone has extraordinary computing knowledge!:smile:

20. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Okay, you got me... I joined. :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted