Letter Carriers Starting Annual Food Drive

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DGirl, May 8, 2007.

1. DGirl

Gold Member

It is that time again.
    Letter Carriers Starting Annual Food Drive - Food News Story - KMBC Kansas City

WASHINGTON -- The annual mail carrier food drive will be held Saturday.

Letter carriers across the country will collect nonperishable food items such as canned goods left by customers along their routes. The food is donated to local charities.

Since its beginning in 1993 the drive has collected nearly three-quarters of a billion pounds of food.
    The drive is sponsored by the National Association of Letter Carriers, U.S. Postal Service, Campbell's, America's Second Harvest, Cox Target Media, local United Ways and the AFL-CIO Community Services Network.​

2. Onslow

Gold Member

Thanks for this news item DGirl.

Out of curiosity though (the article did not say) are we to hand this directly to the mailman/mailwoman or drop these items in the mailbox? It says the carriers will collect items left along the routes but that seems slightly vague--maybe I should just contact the local post office for that question.

Anyway the main thing is to remember to give and give as much as you can since there are a lot of folks out there who do not have the means to get a meal several times a month, and even once in a lifetime is too much to be forced to be without. Think of a small child or an elderly person and imagine the sadness as the hunger gnaws and gnashes at their stomach lining.

3. DGirl

Gold Member

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Funny thing is, I left a can of asparagus spears and got a free sample of Obsession. When I left a can of corn I got a Wal-Mart circular.

5. DGirl

Gold Member

that is because asparagus spears taste better:tongue:

6. Onslow

Gold Member

Appreciated DGirl.

Of course if I had waited another few hours after first viewing your post, I would have had the answer since the postal personage delivered a card yesterday about this. Anyway, thanks for the link and the reminder to us all about the hunger sitution.

Draft saved Draft deleted