Letting Myself In

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am seriously tempted to abuse my position as landlord.

The upstairs neighbor's smoke detector is chirping. The battery must be low. it is going off every 45 second, or so it seems. I am TWO FLOORS BELOW! If I can hear it, and I am slowly going apeshit, WTF is wrong with them? Are they out of town? Did they go to work this morning ( I heard them) and never come home this evening? They got an envelope from American Airlines, and one from a cruise company a month ago. Are they on vacation? I know every squeaky floorboard in this bitch. I have lived here for 26 years. I'd like to put on slipper socks, grab the keys, creep into the kitchen, and throw the fecking thing out of the window. Seriously. I wonder if I could get away with it. I'm not sure I can sleep. I am exhausted. I hallucinated for a few minutes. Then I slept long enough to dream of my mother. She made an "o" with her mouth and chirped at me.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
BronxBombshell said:
I am seriously tempted to abuse my position as landlord.

Surely you're allowed access in cases of emergency maintenance? And even if you aren't, that's the excuse I'd stick with if anyone asked. :wink:

MorganaDrake

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't see where that would be an abuse of your position. I mean I would think they'd hear that if they were home, and if they aren't hearing it then there is probably a good reason for it. Either way, you can always argue the "I thought something was seriously wrong" line.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Something has to be wrong. They are not home, they left on vacation, they both died in a murder/suicide--whatever. As landlord, I think that you'd have the right to go upstairs and check since the smoke alarm is going off and no one has checked it. Haven't any of the neighbors complained yet?

Wonderboy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You're allowed to go in and turn it off. It's breach of the peace or something. At least I know here, everyone has the right to the "QUIET and peaceful enjoyment of their own home"

BTW are you a guy or girl? A Landlady is the term for a female owner.

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Sure, you're worried about the tenents and that noise is driving you nuts but your main concern is the safety of your building.

Go on upstairs to access the apartment and take a new battery with you. It's in your best interest that the place doesn't burn down because of a low battery.

RideRocket

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
While you're in the apartment, you should set up a webcam in their bedroom so you can stream live video and make some extra money.
:biggrin1:

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
RideRocket said:
While you're in the apartment, you should set up a webcam in their bedroom so you can stream live video and make some extra money.
:biggrin1:

But what if they're not attractive?

There are some people who live with chirping smoke detectors for months. I don't know how they do it. I think it's a sign of either stupidity or excessive pot smoking.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Definitely do it, then come back here to report any scandal. :wink:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wonderboy said:
You're allowed to go in and turn it off. It's breach of the peace or something. At least I know here, everyone has the right to the "QUIET and peaceful enjoyment of their own home"

BTW are you a guy or girl? A Landlady is the term for a female owner.

Baby boy,

If you have to ask if Bronxy is a boy or a girl , you need to have you license taken away. You know I dont mean the one for driving. Actually though, she is neither.. She is a WOMAN. A W-O-M- A-N!

11incher

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you are the landlord you have a 100% right to enter the apartment. You actually could be liable if you don't.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Baby, take the key, let yourself in, and put in a new battery. Or wait some days, eventually the battery will run down so low the alarm won't be powered any longer. Meantime, use ear wax.

Optionally a guy's tongue. Or two's.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I agree with the other posts that you should remedy the situation, but I would first knock... at a couple of different times of day... or call, if they gave you a phone number at lease signing. If you can get no response from them, then yes, you do have a responsibility to check on the fire alarm, for the safety of every person in the building.