Levis...WTF?

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
Why the fuck is it that I can try on two or three pairs of the same style of Levis and they all fit differently? It drives me nucking futs!

My favorite style of Levis is 527, and whenever I find a pair or two I like and try them on, I'll find they both fit differently, even though they are the same size. I tried one a light pair and a darker pair today, and the darker pair were too baggy for my liking. The lighter pair almost fit like a slim fit, which I like since I'm skinny. I've noticed the same styles will be made in different countries, so is this it? The ones I bought today were made in Cambodia. I have another pair that were made in Mexico. They fit differently and even feel like a much thinner weight of denim.

It would be nice to just have some freakin consistency! I have a hard enough time as it is finding jeans that fit my body and look somewhat flattering at the same time. It would also be nice to find a store that carried the 537 Slim Fit Bootcut. I do most of my Levis shopping at Macy's and have never seen them there. I've never seen them at an actual Levis store either. Once I saw them at an Urban Outfitters in Santa Monica, but never at one here in Dallas.

Last edited:

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
I know. I hate it too. I really hate it when the difference in fit is enough to change sizes. (I've been working to lose weight, and even though I'm 50lbs smaller **still some to lose** I hate having to go up a size to get a pair that fit).

Yeah, good point! I forgot to mention that the sizes can vary from pair to pair. I'm a very slim 30x30 and sometimes I need to try a 32x30 because the waist will be too small. The 32 will fit better in the waist, but means that the ass area got bigger too, so they make my ass disappear. Other pairs the length will be off, so I'll have to try a 30x32. And then on rare occasions I'll find a 31" waist.

I just don't get it. :confused:

Alexanddan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yeah, good point! I forgot to mention that the sizes can vary from pair to pair. I'm a very slim 30x30 and sometimes I need to try a 32x30 because the waist will be too small. The 32 will fit better in the waist, but means that the ass area got bigger too, so they make my ass disappear. Other pairs the length will be off, so I'll have to try a 30x32. And then on rare occasions I'll find a 31" waist.

I just don't get it. :confused:

You are slim, you're the same size as my 16 year old brother.

CowboyJosh

Sexy Member
Media
From what I have always been told, jeans (especially Levis and premium brands like True Religion, Lucky, etc) are still hand cut, and for the most part still hand made, so since everyone cuts and sews differently, there comes the size difference issues ya'll described. There is no consistency in buying pants, probably why most people hate shopping for jeans or dress slacks.

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
I have an uncle who's in manufacturing. He once told me that some clothing of the same brand, style and size can vary widely due to the material being cut 100+ layers at a time. Why do they do this? To speed up the process and minimize the cost!

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I agree... never 'assume' 2 pairs of the same size are actually that... What I hate is the dreaded 'short waisted' pants, that are cut as if men do not have balls much less a penis... maybe they are cut for wives who borrow them?? NO room.

ladsonbehr49

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have not worn levis in many years due to cost....I think the prices for 501's are through the roof so I have opted for rustlers from walmart and the fit is great and especially in the ass and the crotsch...very nice price too.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have not worn levis in many years due to cost....I think the prices for 501's are through the roof so I have opted for rustlers from walmart and the fit is great and especially in the ass and the crotsch...very nice price too.
likewise, but I choose Wranglers stretch jeans..

VeeP

Sexy Member
Media
What I hate is the dreaded 'short waisted' pants, that are cut as if men do not have balls much less a penis... maybe they are cut for wives who borrow them?? NO room.

Wait, are you equating low-risers with a cheap hotel? :biggrin1:

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why the fuck is it that I can try on two or three pairs of the same style of Levis and they all fit differently? It drives me nucking futs!

My favorite style of Levis is 527, and whenever I find a pair or two I like and try them on, I'll find they both fit differently, even though they are the same size. I tried one a light pair and a darker pair today, and the darker pair were too baggy for my liking. The lighter pair almost fit like a slim fit, which I like since I'm skinny. I've noticed the same styles will be made in different countries, so is this it? The ones I bought today were made in Cambodia. I have another pair that were made in Mexico. They fit differently and even feel like a much thinner weight of denim.

It would be nice to just have some freakin consistency! I have a hard enough time as it is finding jeans that fit my body and look somewhat flattering at the same time. It would also be nice to find a store that carried the 537 Slim Fit Bootcut. I do most of my Levis shopping at Macy's and have never seen them there. I've never seen them at an actual Levis store either. Once I saw them at an Urban Outfitters in Santa Monica, but never at one here in Dallas.

I believe it's because they are no longer made in standardized factories in the US, but are manufactured in huge lots at different factories in China, India, Indonesia, Bangladesh etc., each of which may have its own interpretation of what size, say, 34 means. In Canada we used to have a Canada Standard Size (CSS) system, and one could count on all garments and shoes adhering to that system to be more-or-less indentical in size. This system is no longer used as our clothing industry has, like the American, been outsourced to foreign countries. One can no longer count on any garment (not just jeans) being the traditional size and must try on everything. Used to be a large tall shirt and 34/36 levis were a perfect fit for me. Now it could be anything from a large to an XLT and levis, anywhere from 33/36 to 36/38. Makes no sense but there you have it.

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

This is why I buy all of my jeans at thrift stores. I like them broken in and new jeans are always stiff and umcomfortable until you have worn them for a year. I paid $3.00 for the last several pairs of 501s I bought and one pair was NWT and the others were only lightly worn.

Levis sizes are strange, I have a pair of 34x30s that fit the same way as another pair that I have that are 36x30.