Liberal Brain/ Conservative Brain

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Industrialsize, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  2. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
  3. parr

parr New Member

4. ManofThunder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    All very interesting but I'm not sure I believe it. Fear is something we all feel, it's important to fear. The suggestion that a conservative person has more fear doesn't sound right to me. Even assuming the research is correct, I think it is too simplistic an explanation for political behaviour. Highly right-wing people often show extreme bravery - arrogant, stupid bravery; but still bravery. To put it simply: they are no more afraid than a liberal person. They are certainly afraid of change, but why would the fear section of the brain concentrate solely on that and change their whole outlook accordingly? I think it has far more to do with the beliefs they are taught to uphold as children and the social circles they travel in.

5. 1kmb1

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    its not that they have more fear, its that they react to it more aggressively.

AFP: Brain structure differs in liberals, conservatives: study

6. phillyhangin

phillyhangin New Member

Albums:
    I remember several studies like that too.

My take on the difference between liberals and conservatives has always been that conservatives fear change - hence they're "conservative" and try to preserve the status quo (even if it's not working) - whereas liberals are comfortable with change - hence they're "progressive" and willing to challenge the status quo in order to fix something that's broken. Conservatives often seem to think in terms of absolutes (i.e. black and white, "either/or" simplicity), whereas liberals seem to have a high tolerance for ambiguity (i.e. shades of gray, "both/and" complexity).

With that said, both views are actually useful because while conservatives tend to miss the forest (complexity) for the trees (the details), liberals tend to miss the trees (details) because the forest (complexity) is just so amazing. Both points of view are valid, but usually only one is appropriate for a given discussion. The trick is knowing when to focus on details, and when to step back and look at the big picture.

(And yes, the above paragraph was an example of "both/and" complexity! :wink:)

7. phillyhangin

phillyhangin New Member

Albums:
    And that aggressive response to fear can often be confused with bravery when it's actually merely bravado: acting "tough" so that people won't see how scared you really are - which, as ManofThunder put it, often leads to "arrogant, stupid" acts.

Draft saved Draft deleted