Liberal disappointment and backlash; digesting reality

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_starinvestor, Mar 12, 2009.

1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

One of the pitfalls of pinning unrealistic expectations on an idea, a theme, a belief, a 'hero'..is that of dire disappointment upon the inevitable realization that the fantasy fell short.

A small sample of the scorned and dejected

Anti-War Activists Disappointed With Obama's Iraq Withdrawal Plan - First 100 Days of Presidency - Politics FOXNews.com

gives some insight into the emotional setbacks associated with major life disappointments.

Some will seek isolation. Others will recoil and attack like a rattlesnake (cough, Vinyl Boy)

Others, such as mild-mannered Willtom will guzzle gallons of latte's and furiously research obscure sources and publications to prove that his "Batman" exists and is indeed saving humanity.

Add in a deep recession and other stressful influences, and this may be an ideal time to remember not to take life too seriously.

Charge: A buck two ninety eight.

2. midlifebear

Gold Member

Once again, just what was it that got you banned for 4 weeks? And could you please do it again? Yawn.

3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Well, what do you expect when a snake sees a big rat running around and leaving little thread turds like this? :rolleyes:

4. B_starinvestor

Still not exactly sure. Thinking conspiracy, though.

5. Meniscus

Gold Member

I suspect that anti-war activists make up a relatively small percentage of liberals. Many (most?) of us understand that ending the Iraq War isn't going to be easy, that it will take time, and that some troops will have to remain for a while. On this particularly issue, all I ever wanted was a realistic, carefully considered plan to end the war. I believe that Obama has attempted to do just that. Fortunately, he's a realist when many of his supporters are not. Time will tell if his plan works.

6. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Obama will get us out of Iraq as fast as anyone can... his supporters are realistic and know that we are up to our necks in Iraq and getting out won't be easy. Nice try though. :wink:

7. B_starinvestor

I believe it will be much more difficult than most think, Tri. It will be like a captain leaving his 2nd mate in control of the ship in the middle of a hurricane, before he knows the ship's controls.

This isn't like leaving a dinner party early.

8. pym

pym New Member

Fox news reporting liberal dissapointment?
    Yeah......they speak for me.:rolleyes:

Festor.....always first and foremost with the Bull-Shit.
    A true American Patriot.:bsflag:

9. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

not to be unkind to the posters he named, or those he didn't name, but he's right on target :beerchug2: :fing02:

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

*puts away his rattler*

11. Guy-jin

Gold Member

Albums:
    Call me a Moderate Independent if you must :)tongue:), but I'm glad he's not "living up to" the particular promise of a hasty withdrawel from Iraq.

Now, to put it in perspective, I was against the war from the start. From before the start. As soon as I started seeing the "case" (of lies) being built up by the Bush administration against Iraq, I saw it coming and was against it. I was appalled that Colin Powell was shovelling lies at the American public, the UN, and the world at large. At least his claims to being an ignorant faithful have restored some semblance of the respect I once had for Powell (although, given that I saw through it all easily enough, it's hard to forgive him for being duped). Regardless, the point I'm making is that I am and always have been against the War in Iraq.

All of that said, it's completely clear that a hasty withdrawal would be a disaster of a different kind. It's unfortunate that enough Americans were dumb enough to support Bush's war, and unfortunate now that it falls into Obama's lap to fix his mess. But leaving there before the next election cycle, when things will either be fine or fall apart, is a bad idea. I think anyone who's paid great attention to the political goings-on there can see that.

Anyway, TFB for these Radical Liberals. I've been against the War probably longer than them, and I'd rather getting out is done right than done fast. Nature willing, Obama and his administration will see us out of that quagmire Bush and his cronies left us in with as few bruises as possible.

12. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    So is every other dumb animal that takes a shit and hits the earth. What's your point?

13. houtx48

Gold Member

Thinking conspiracy, though.............ooooooweeeooooooooo don't look in the shadows. a little paranoid are we?

14. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    :biglaugh:
    I think you failed to consider the possibility that Star was venturing a joke.

15. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Star, I'm perfectly content with Obama's plan to withdraw all combat troops from Iraq by August 31, 2010 and leave an "advisory, training and support" transitional force of 50,000 until 2011. No "dire disappointment", scorn or dejection from this quarter. Nor am I "seeking isolation". A handful of "scorned" and "dejected" activists having to wait a few extra months for troop withdrawl is not indicative of the current liberal mindset at all.

(but thanks for digging that link up)

I was reading about a small community of people in Kentucky who live largely without electricity - they live with solar power generators. It's a small "faith-based" community that believes in faith healing and the power of prayer - and every weekend about 15 of them drive into town and meet at the International House of Pancakes for breakfast.

Do you know what "larger" story this group of people has to offer the citizenry of the U.S.? Nothing. There is no larger story! There are fringe people all over these United States - including those continuous, professional (dejected) anti-war protesters you linked to.

--------------------

The Americans for Democratic Action (ADA) has given President Obama a lifetime average liberal rating of 90%.

Star, for better or worse, you're going to have to live with a guy as commander-in-chief that has a liberal rating of 90% for at least the next four years. That's his make-up. That's how he thinks. He's a liberal to the core (who's trying his best to be conciliatory and fair). And he's the guy the majority voted for this time around.

--------------------

Quick edit: There is a story on MSNBC right now about some children at a daycare center that drank windshield wiper fluid (thinking it was Kool-aid). There is no larger story to be got from this (other than: keep windshield wiper fluid away from the grasp of small children). Like the handful of anti-war protesters, you don't have to dig for a deeper story. It's just what it is. Stuff happens.

#15 D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Mar 13, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  16. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Willtom, I love to read your thoughts, man...but, seriously, what do you have against the quote function of this forum? :confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted