LibraryThing.com

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by headbang8, Dec 26, 2006.

1. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Quite a few LPSGers are bookish types. I discovered a great website for those of us who can never keep track of our books. LibraryThing.com makes it incredibly easy to catalogue your collection. And fun, too. Perfect for book nerds. Check it out.

2. Onslow

Gold Member

I was alomst certain I read this and responded already and since the heading was light gray and not dark black I know I read it but the responding part seems lost.

So will this site organize my books on my book shelf?

Sincxe yesterday I discovered tilted forums at tfproject.org I find this very interesting and somewhat perplexing as I now have 2 new places to spend time which will keep me out of general for a while.

3. NCbear

Gold Member

That's my question, too, Onslow! I have nine 6-foot-tall bookshelves filled to overflowing with all kinds of books, and that doesn't count the books stacked on any available surface. I conservatively estimated for my home insurance people that I have $25,000 of books in my house, and they about dropped their teeth on the floor.

But it's damn difficult to organize them. I mean, if I name one section "Science Fiction," do I include Madeleine L'Engle's books there or in "Books I Loved When I Was a Kid" (which is a HUGE section including everything from Gone With the Wind to The Hobbit to Plato's Dialogues)?

Decisions, decisions.

NCbear

4. njreg

njreg Member

Albums:
    I'm a librarian by training and don't organize my books at home. One of the pleasures of looking for something to read in my collection is coming across one that I truly enjoyed and remembering the hours that it took me away from the "real world."

As someone who spent hours studying and memorizing the Dewey Decimal System in grad school, my advice would be to organize your books in a way that will make the collection most useful to you and/or others who use it.

Another great thing I learned in library school is that "weeding" is a great thing. No need to hoard those books, fellow readers. Give them away to others who might enjoy them or sell them to make a few bucks to buy more.

Draft saved Draft deleted