Lies My Mother Told Me

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I was about 4.5 years old I asked my mother why they called little white lies, little white lies. She quickly responded, without batting an eyelash, that it was because black people didn't tell lies.

I think I was 10 before I realized she had lied to me. :tongue:

What lies did your parents tell you that you later found out weren't true?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I'm proud to say that my parents rarely lied to me - even 'white' lies. I try to carry on the tradition. I find myself saying 'just because' sometimes and I have to back pedal and find a suitable explanation.

We had the tooth fairy and Santa, but we knew from an early age it was dad and mum - in that order; Dad was the tooth fairy, Mum was Santa. The tooth fairy used to leave us these letters all about how 'she' made chairs and things from our teeth and all the tooth related things 'she' had been doing. We knew it was him because it was his writing but I loved getting those letters - I still have some of them :smile: And of course mum was Santa because it was her writing on the name labels and Dad was always out late on Christmas eve.

I do remember asking my mother (before I was able to recognise her writing) why Santa got some kids in my class realy cool expensive presents and why we got not quite as expensive stuff (especially seeing as I knew I had not been as naughty as Tara McCormick that year and she had gotten a Barbie Priness castle!!). She told me that Santa only gave presents to the really poor children around the world whose parents couldn't afford presents - people like us and the other children I knew had enough money so the parents paid Santa for the presents so he could use his own money to get more stuff for the genuinely poor children, and she and Dad didn't have as much spare money to spend on presents. She wasn't prepared to shatter the illusion of Santa for us, but she didn't want to outright lie about where our presents came from.

Last edited:

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Oh dearie me....where do I start? *pulls out reams of paper* LOL

Her favourite was when I pulled a face at her (when I couldn't get my own way) that if my face was like that when the clock struck twelve, it would stay that way.
(I still can't believe that I fell for that one....repeatedly lol)

WellHung83

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My mom would tell me that Santa Claus watched me all year to see if I was being bad. I remember I always thought he was watching me. Freaked me out till I was about seven and caught on to her lie.

You never know Jason, Santa could have nanny cams in every house :biggrin1:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
"If you eat standing up, you'll get fat legs." I don't recall being told any lies by my mother, but a friend told me that her mother told her that.

Her favourite was when I pulled a face at her (when I couldn't get my own way) that if my face was like that when the clock struck twelve, it would stay that way.

There is a Calvin and Hobbes strip in which Calvin is contorting his face and his mother says, "If you keep doing that, your face will get stuck that way." "Really?", says Calvin, walking away with the grimace, "Cool!"

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Besides the ones about Santa, the tooth fairy & the Easter bunny, I was also told that drinking coffee makes your skin turn dark...don't know why I ever believed it because my mom drank coffee everyday & was nearly white!

D

deleted213967

The Tooth Fairy conspiracy worked to my parents' advantage once. I had lost a tooth and received my contractual stipend from the said fairy.

However, that very same day my sister and I overheard my parents say they were "out of cash".

To forestall their imminent financial ruin, I offered them the dollar I had received from the Tooth Fairy.