Life in the universe

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_tallbig, Nov 16, 2007.

?

Life in the universe

1. i believe that life exists in another planets

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. i believe that Earth is the only planet that support life in the universe

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. i dont know

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

What do you guys think about life in another planets ?

2. Northland

Gold Member

I tend to have more of a belief of life ON other planets rather than within; however, there may well be lifeforms within the planets, not just on the surface. Just as Earth has many primarily underground dwellers, the same may hold true for Jupiter, Mercury, Mars and Saturn as well as the other planets. I also believe that just as we cannot see those lifeforms on the other planets, they are unable to see us and have wondered whether there is any life on or in our planet.

Note: This theory also applies to planets and asteroids in other galaxies.

3. _avg_

Gold Member

Albums:
    Although "I don't know" is consistent with the other two options and is the only honest answer, I tend to think Earthlings aren't the only living things.

I think it was Carl Sagan who said, "We are either alone in this universe, or we are not. Either way is profoundly humbling." (or somesuch like that)

4. B_tallbig

B_tallbig New Member

I think it would be strange to found out that Earth is the only planet that supporting life .

5. dreamer20

Gold Member

Saturn's high velocity winds make the possibility of life on that planet extremely remote. Its moon Titan might support life though.

In addition to having high velocity winds Jupiter is not suitable for life as it produces deadly radiation:

Jupiter Radiation Belts Harsher Than Expected

Its moon Europa might support life.

Mercury's combination of very little atmosphere, a day lasting ~56 earth days and its extremely hot maximum daytime temperature of 800°F make it unsuitable for life.

Mars might support life.

6. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    Saturn and Jupiter are also made of gas, so there really is no underground there. Saturn's density is less than that of water. However, floating organisms in Jupiter's atmosphere was not out of the realm of possibility for Carl Sagan.

7. petergroot

Gold Member

Albums:
    Which planet is G Bush from? Is there any risk of an invasion from that planet?

8. JustAsking

Gold Member

We are constantly running into lifeforms in areas on Earth that we thought were inhospitable. It is a bit arrogant to think life couldn't exist elsewhere, even in our solar system.

Thermal Vent Creatures
    Nylon Eating Bacteria

9. dreamer20

Gold Member

I would say that such thinking was very myopic indeed.:smile:

10. Jovial

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are some bacteria that can resist the damage from radiation and even repair radiation damaged DNA, so I don't think we can say a radioactive environment rules out the possibility of life.

Lately, I've been wondering if life could even evolve into something that could actually leave the planet and survive in outer space (not artificially with rockets, like humans). Life moving out of the water and onto land may have seemed almost impossible before it happened. But now that life developed to live on land and we see it, it doesn't seem so difficult. So maybe life could evolve (given another billion years) into something that could survive in space even though it seems nearly impossible now.

11. _avg_

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Life" can adapt to radioactive environments, but whether or not it can originate in them is largely unknown. Given what we know, the obstacles are exponentially greater.

Panspermia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Life evolved from water to land because there was (were) niche(s) open for it, resources for it to exploit. There is no such benefit in space (open space, since that's all life will enocunter for quite some distance) for selection to act on that would drive this kind of evolution.

That said, this evolution need not be "directed" -- that is, it need not be *adapted* to live in space; it may get there accidentally. Some life on Earth can already survive in space and, were the planet to blow up tomorrow, might make it's way to a suitable planet and take foot. That's precisely the kind of thing proposed by Panspermia.

12. dreamer20

Gold Member

Yet in Jupiter's case we are talking about an enormous amount of fatal radiation and energy that is constantly emitted from it. Enough to cause its nearest moon, Io, to erupt with volcanic fury.

Yet that same radiant energy could trigger the formation of life on the more distant icy moon Europa:

SPACE.com -- Jupiter's Deadly Radiation Could Power Life On Europa

13. JustAsking

Gold Member

Life will evolve to leave the planet in the form of man with all his space equipment. But besides that:

An interesting site on Astrobiology.

Draft saved Draft deleted