Life is a miracle

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was listening to Terry Gross' Fresh Air yesterday, and she was interviewing Emily V Gordon and her husband on their new film. She had been in a medically induced coma for a long time while battling a bad infection.

She made a statement about how we take our bodies for granted and almost abuse them to make them look better or just ignore them and let them waste away. It carries the heart and brain which are the centers of life and living. It really got me to thinking about just how important it is as a vessel and not something nice to look or or something ugly to shun.

Life is awesome. All life is precious. But I'm hoping this thread doesn't turn into a "when life begins debate" because that's been done to death, and ain't nobody changing nobody's mind in an Internet forum.

But it's a miracle that we can even communicate like this. That means that your heart is beating and your brain is functioning and that little bit of electricity we call life is still charged.

MikesJohnson

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was listening to Terry Gross' Fresh Air yesterday, and she was interviewing Emily V Gordon and her husband on their new film. She had been in a medically induced coma for a long time while battling a bad infection.

She made a statement about how we take our bodies for granted and almost abuse them to make them look better or just ignore them and let them waste away. It carries the heart and brain which are the centers of life and living. It really got me to thinking about just how important it is as a vessel and not something nice to look or or something ugly to shun.

Life is awesome. All life is precious. But I'm hoping this thread doesn't turn into a "when life begins debate" because that's been done to death, and ain't nobody changing nobody's mind in an Internet forum.

But it's a miracle that we can even communicate like this. That means that your heart is beating and your brain is functioning and that little bit of electricity we call life is still charged.

We're very blessed to exist. Thank God for sharing the gift of life with us!

Reactions: Max_Polo

It is a beautiful world, just that some of humankind use it as their private rubbish dump and take more than what they need. Then there are the other great things man (well Superman) and his old crew brang us.. LPSG for us adults to have a little play, a little whinge, a little whatever.

Life is mostly what each of us make of it, it can't help be encroached by those who wish to be selfish and treat it solely as their own, I spose that's why we are different from each other. To try and maintain balance in some way.

Last edited by a moderator:

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
There's nothing miraculous about life and the universe that science hasn't explained or will explain in the future.

Even the sense of awe and wonder you feel in your body is biochemical.

The hard cold facts of science fill me with awe and wonder every day.

MikesJohnson

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's nothing miraculous about life and the universe that science hasn't explained or will explain in the future.

You mean like the belief that all matter in the universe created itself?

Reactions: malakos

Damn, you took the bait :)

Listen Mike. The Bible was not written at the time the Universe was created. Nor was the book of Science.

You have definite proof of how the first rock came about, or who, what created the blackboard for the Universe to be cast upon....... I am all ears.

We have a creator that made the universe and us. Perhaps you believe everything made itself. That's ok with me. :cool:
That's great. If it does it for you then that's all that matters. We just need to accept not everyone shares each others opinion.

Until we do, we just won't get along. Maybe that's the task set for us?

Reactions: Mr Ed in Mass

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

When religious people say they believe in a god it's not the same as when scientists say they believe in the Big Bang or any other proven theory.

I'll explain.

Look up the definition of the word believe and/or it's noun form belief. In my Webster's the first definition is a general one: to accept something as true. The second definition is a religious one: faith, which is to accept something is true without question in the absence of evidence or proof. The third definition is a scientific one: to have confidence something is true based on evidence and reason.

Your religious belief in a specific god & theology is faith: you have no evidence for it and do not question it. My belief in the Big Bang is scientifically based: there's such a huge body of evidence I can say with 100% certainty that it happened. Science does not yet know why it happened, but it would unsound to jump from the scientific definition of belief to the religious one by attributing its cause to an creator--especially one who looks like us and made the whole shebang 13.8 billion years ago just for us now.

Science does know with 100% certainty that since the Big Bang the laws of physics have formed and continue to form the observable universe. We don't yet know all the details but are discovering them rapidly.

Science requires belief based on evidence and reason, not an unquestioned faith based in the absence of evidence of your religious belief.

Science is sworn to obey the laws of physics and latest theory for answer, has very little time for philosophy, it changes everyday with each new theory.

Religion bases much of it's belief upon what is written, it bases it's opinion on which can be interpreted, it changes everyday with each new interpretation.

Me? Well, I love science, I dislike religion. I know through science I am made up from what the Universe is constructed of. I know through imagination and spirituality (not religion), my mind can escape from the gravity, the deep well in which others wish to constrain me.

I find to be truly happy, I need to find peace within myself, there is something calming of the body, not just the mind.

I am a pretty well balanced person. I don't find the need for any or much support at all. In fact, I'm a pretty deep well. So to speak :) Am I the same as you? Only similar in the physical sense.

Reactions: halcyondays