Life Lessons I Have Never Forgotten

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I was 4.5 years old and about to enter kindergarten my father taught me a few life lessons I have never forgotten. He is a wise man and I have yet to have his advice proven wrong. Sometimes this is annoying . . .:tongue:

1) Stay away from people who don’t like Jews because they usually don’t like Blacks either. I cannot begin to tell you how many times both socially and professionally I have had White people come up to me and make snide comments about a Jewish person with whom we both were acquainted. Later I would hear them making Black or Hispanic jokes and think of my dad; and be like, “Damn! The man is never wrong.”

2) When you are looking for a place to live make sure the town has different types of churches like: Lutheran, Catholic, Methodist, Baptist, a Synagogue. If the town only has one house of worship, even if it is one you are comfortable with, thats not a good thing.

3) Always look both ways before you cross the street

4) Never get in a car with a stranger. ~ Okay this last thing caused a problem on my first day of kindergarten. I refused to get on the bus; because to me the bus driver was a stranger. My mom got on the bus & chatted with him I wouldn't budge. Now mind you prior to this point and all through breakfast I was very excited about going to school. I had on a new green dress my mom had made for me, new keds and white ankle socks. I carried a blue plastic Barbie lunchbox. It wasn't until this year that mom told me we were 90 minutes late for school on my first day. Why? My mom finally invited him in the house for coffee.:redface: :tongue: Which he accepted graciously and I, eyed him skeptically the whole time. It was at that point I was able to accept him as not a stranger.

5) Mom taught me that when at a party to never put my drink down, walk away from it, and then come back and drink it because somebody might slip you a mickey. If you were slipped a mickey you would most likely end up either raped, dead in a ditch, or like Karen Ann Quinlan. All moms used Karen Ann Quinlan as an example of what could happen if you hung out with a "fast" crowd.

Honestly, I think she is the reason I never had a desire to experiment with drugs, nor did anyone I hung out with. For us, as children of the 70's the risk just didn't seem worth it . . .

6) Check your oil once a week

7) Always accelerate out of the turn, not into it.

8) It doesn't matter where you work. Be kind to the secretarys and the custodians. Q: Why? A: They are the ones with the power to make your life truly miserable.

9) Always follow your first mind.

10) Never trust a man who cheats at pool. Chances are that's not the only thing he'll lie about.

WildHoney

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
NJQT - Nothing to do with your thread but If I were anywhere near close to you, I'd love to go out for drinks. I think you are really cool and have so many interesting things to say.

x

Honey

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks WildHoney, I'd take you up on that. :smile:

NJQT - Nothing to do with your thread but If I were anywhere near close to you, I'd love to go out for drinks. I think you are really cool and have so many interesting things to say.

x

Honey

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
1 - If someone will lie about the small things they'll lie about the big things.

2 - Not all people deserve a second chance.

3 - Talk to people wherever you go, you never know if that person is your best friend waiting to happen.

4 - Never shit on your own doorstep.

5 - If your friend asks you advice the only way you'll help them is by telling them what you think not what you think they want to hear.

I should probably have taken some time over this but that would conflict with 6

6 - Never take longer than the time it takes to type over a forum thread,it's only the internet :)

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
1 - If someone will lie about the small things they'll lie about the big things.
4 - Never shit on your own doorstep.

#1. I disagree with, very few people NEVER lie. A little white lie or a small lie to spare someone's feelings is okay with me.

#4 that's like the saying...you don't shit where you eat.

another life lesson...don't eat the yellow snow!

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Never stick your finger in that part of the doggy!

Are you telling us that the bus driver made the whole busful of children 90 minutes late to school to take a coffee break with your mom? I'm not sure he'd have kept his job after that in my school district.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Most people have a greedy selfish side, and will take advantage if offered the right situation to do so. You can never really trust anyone else.

The world isn't kind to those who are a bit different from the accepted norm.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Never stick your finger in that part of the doggy!

:lmao:

Always graciously accept compliments; it's insulting to the other person if you don't.

Don't suffer fools gladly.

Kindness is underrated.

Try not to take insults personally; most of the time it's not about you.

Don't confuse remorse with guilt.

Love must be freely given.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The customer is NOT always right. But you should give them the benefit of the doubt.
This is true, but since I don't suffer fools lightly. I had to leave retail. :redface:

Are you telling us that the bus driver made the whole busful of children 90 minutes late to school to take a coffee break with your mom? I'm not sure he'd have kept his job after that in my school district.

A) I was the first stop.
B) It was a private school in 1970.
Are you kidding me I think his patience and tenacity got him a raise. :biggrin1: Perhaps if there had been other children on the bus I would have felt more comfortable and less scared. :rolleyes: :redface: but I doubt it. :biggrin1:

Hmm, maybe this was the start of my sense of entitlement being so high, which I mention in the schema thread.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A place with no places of worship would be better
I'm sure you have your reasons for feeling that way but I completely disagree. I would find such a place more than a little frightening

FYI - There a number of threads currently dealing with heaven, hell, God and a lack there of. I would prefer you restrict your opinions on that to those threads. Thank you.
njqt466

Treat people the way you want to be treated.
Don't judge.
Listen.
Be honest.
Learn to forgive, for yourself if nothing else.
People will show you who they truly are if you just pay attention.
Love yourself first.

I can do the first 4 without even thinking about it. Yet the last 3, which are arguably more important I have trouble maintaining.:redface: I am working on that though.

36DD

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
1) Never stick your finger in a socket.

2) Take cover during an earthquake.

3) Mind your p's and q's.

4) It is a beautiful day.

5) Never loan money...think of it as a gift.

6) We are all the same color and we all bleed the same.

7) Don't judge a book by its cover.

8) If someone can't be trusted with the little things, they can't be trusted with the big things.

9) Forgive, but don't forget...learn from it.

10) Don't wear colored underwear under your dress...the boys might look.
( I can say without question I do not follow this bit of advice, and what's wrong with looking anyway)?