Life Vampires

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi,

Does anyone here have friends, family or acquaintances who dont really have one original idea of their own but are great at playing ala carte with your life? I have one friend in particular who is great at taking anything you mention even tangentially and jumping on it or into it like a pike on a roach. If its clothing, she is in them, it if is a subject, it suddenly becomes her favorite topic that is until she finds the next best thing. She doesnt seem to understand why this irritates and angers other people....

killerb

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Fortunately I don't know anyone like that...
it must be terribly frustrating...

what I do have is a so-called friend who is perfect in his own eyes, but criticizes everything I do...no matter what happens, he'll somehow try to convince me that it's my fault...

here's my question: (not to jack the thread)

why do we put up with these people?:smile:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I know someone who tires to emulate the way I dress, has bought the same eyeglasses, shoes etc... someone said I should be flattered, I just find it irritating.

Media
I knew someone like this once, I have since severed ties with him. He was a trust fund baby and spent exorbitant amounts of money on himself.

He would come over to my house to pick me up for trips out and about, keeping a keen eye on the things I had in my home. I live very simply but what I have is nice, my home is clean and I do everything myself.

The next thing I knew, we were going out to buy items identical to what I owned, in particular house plants and getting TWO of those same things.

He would also buy cd's I was looking for and tell me if I wanted to copy them, I had to be at his home to copy them.

Another thing he did was take my t-shirt designs, had them made up and took credit for having come up with the original idea.

Never again. Ever. Go suck the life out of someone else who has the patience for that bullshit. lol

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
I knew of a couple of people like this. Largely they tend to be somewhat borderline personalities, with a touch of psychosis, and a person the leech off of as described is an attempt to find an anchor.

Such people ought to be considered warily, since the ones I knew could get really ugly when thwarted in an attempts in relationships...

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Personally, I've always found them rather amusing.

We had one kid in University who was exactly as you described, Naughty, only with Video games. Occasionally, there would be shopping and someone would start taking about a new game. The next day/week, he'd call a few people to play it, or post on MSN that ________ is the BEST GAME OF 2006. I just smiled.

They don't really hurt anyone, and I tend to look at it as people who just want to be accepted.

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
Oh_yeah described a situation close to what I experienced, though with humorous connotation. A Borderline P., moved in with my wife's ex Boyfriend, despite warnings. She so antagonized him with her sponginess, he moved out of his OWN apartment in NYC...forfeiting the rent controls...

OKFarmer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I saw the title I was thinking the post was about people who seem to drain your life away. My mother-in-law is like that. However, on topic, I had a friend in college who could one-up any story; he would take your story, place himself in an identical situation, and blow it up to absurdity.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I did get a clue as to what was going on with her a few years ago when she had a bad break up. She was crying and I gave her a hug and she said, "I wish I were a bitch like you, then they wouldnt treat me like this" Though some might have gotten angry I burst out laughing. My choices , style etc is no talisman against life trauma or heartbreak. I have told her recently that she needs to decide which of these many things she wants to be. It reminds me of some little animal who takes bites out of all of the vegetables in the garden and ends up ruining them all for everyone else. If I allowed her she would do the same with my other friends. At one point I told her that she was the Kato Kailin of my life and that she needed to decide whether she wanted friends or host animals. Someone can borrow your style etc but it will not work for them because in the end they are not you. But it still can rankle that someone wants to take a short cut with something it took you a lifetime to develop...

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had two friends at different points in my life who never developed romantic interests of their own. Instead they would wait until I mentioned being interested in a guy, then they would insinuate themselves into the situation until they were the girlfriend.

The first time this happened I just assumed she had liked him from the start but hadn't mentioned it. However the relationship only lasted until I'd developed an interest in someone new then they dumped the first guy and pursued my new interest.

It's a sick form of one upmanship.
I quickly ditched those connections.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I had two friends at different points in my life who never developed romantic interests of their own. Instead they would wait until I mentioned being interested in a guy, then they would insinuate themselves into the situation until they were the girlfriend.

The first time this happened I just assumed she had liked him from the start but hadn't mentioned it. However the relationship only lasted until I'd developed an interest in someone new then they dumped the first guy and pursued my new interest.

It's a sick form of one upmanship.
I quickly ditched those connections.

I have had similar types of things happen. If they couldnt get the man they would attempt to undermine the friendship or relationship anyway. It is sad when others make their problems your problems...