Lifelong Democrat becomes Ron Paul supporter

B_Jillian

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm a lifelong anti-war Democrat -- I voted for Obama and even volunteered for his campaign. I am staunchly anti-war and a big supporter of gay marriage rights. Well, needless to say I'm immensely disappointed with Obama on both accounts -- war has only escalated and the government is still an impediment to gay marriage rights.

And so I'm doing something I never expected I would. I'm supporting Ron Paul.

I know, I know, but hear me out...

He is the ONLY candidate who is calling for the end of the wars. And he MEANS it.

And, he is the ONLY candidate who is calling for the government to STAY OUT of peoples' marriage choices. And he MEANS it.

I don't give a shit about partisan crap anymore -- I'm supporting peace and freedom and Ron Paul is the only such voice out there.

I'm getting bashed for this by my friends (and I'm not even going to BOTHER reading the attacks I'll get here) -- but I hope some of them will wake up and join me.

gigantor68

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I haven't seen a lot of him, but from what I've seen if I were voting there, I would vote for Ron Paul too.

D_Kiki_Mia_Ahz

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well said. And at least you admitted that Obama was a mistake. Great speaker and knows how to talk to a crowd, but cant LEAD like a president should do.

Horrible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
While I don't believe Ron Paul has ANY chance of winning, I applaud you for recognizing BHO for the failure and liar that he is.

snakembl14

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
When I put on my Ron Paul 2012 bumper sticker over my Obama 2008 sticker, I smiled and thought "I can't believe I'm doing this!". It felt really good though.

dazedandconfused

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
All democrats supporting Paul, make sure you switch your party affiliation to vote republican at the polls.

And remember, the wars were not declared. When Paul takes office (or for that matter, whomever is in the office) can immediately bring the troops home and there is not a darn thing anyone can do to stop them.

TomCat84

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I like a lot of what Ron Paul has to say, but the fact remains that this is not pre-Civil War America. We can't survive on import tariffs and excise taxes anymore. We NEED government. History shows that loose confederations of states cannot survive in this world, either politically or economically. I'd just as soon see California as an independent republic than see some kind of rehash of the USA prior to the Progressive Era.

D_Percy_Prettywillie

Account Disabled
Media
I like a lot of what Ron Paul has to say, but the fact remains that this is not pre-Civil War America. We can't survive on import tariffs and excise taxes anymore. We NEED government. History shows that loose confederations of states cannot survive in this world, either politically or economically. I'd just as soon see California as an independent republic than see some kind of rehash of the USA prior to the Progressive Era.

This.

I don't hate Ron Paul. I like some of what he has to say. I think he, like the current President, would (in whatever Twilight Zone alternate reality he was elected) figure out the political limitations of his office.

I agree with some of what he proposes (ending the war on drugs, more transparency etc) but I like a lot of what the Postman says too. I'll never vote for either one of them 1.) because they don't have any realistic chance of winning and 2.) because they don't seem to have a grasp of the complexities regarding running the worlds sole remaining super power.

Dismantling the Federal government isn't the solution to all of our problems. I couldn't vote for someone knowing that was their call to arms; lets burn down the house in order to make it more easily accessible!

JSZ

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
If Ron Paul had a chance of actually doing what he talks about he would be a viable candidate. The problem is that nearly the entire government as we know it would have to have 100% of the rules re-written and laws changed in order for it to function in the "Ron Paul Utopia".

The Presidency of the United States would not be able to be remodeled into a "Ron Paul Presidency" without the approval of the United States Senate and the United States Congress". "There would also be constitutional challenges which would probably have to go to the United States Supreme Court to have rulings made.

End the Wars overseas bring home the troops. Great, who is going to employ these people when they get home?

End the War on Drugs. I agree totally, but ending the war on recreational and illegitimate drugs and legalizing them would drive down the prices of legitimate drugs because we would now be able to buy everything OTC. The AMA is not going to like that because the greedy blood sucking MD's (not all are) will not be able to get a $250 office call out of the deal, and there would be world wide competition in the drug market including India and China. Remember that a competition driven market place is pure capitalism, unless you can control the market which is what has been done. The big Pharms are going to just love that. Not going to happen simply because there is too much money involved in protecting the markets. The Drug Lords just love us, we protect their pricing and keep them making money by the bushel basketful. If they were able to vote here every organized crime boss and foreign criminal in the top end of the dirty work would vote Republican because it is the system now in play that has made some of them billionaires.

Ron Paul is pure fantasy on every level. He is not viable and for that reason is a total waste of time. It is true that what he says would have potential to work. If he were elected in his 8 years in office he would have zero chance of doing anything that the Republican Party did not like simply because he would find himself in the same exact situation as BHO has. They roadblock good things because it bothers the profits of somebody else.

I absolutely hate the two party system as we have it right now. The problem is that we have to absolutely start by fixing those two parties before we move on to making others far more viable. There is way too much money in the system as it is right now.

I would love the Ron Paul vision of the world too, the problem is that it will never happen because we as people have let this go way too far before trying to get candidates into both parties that will bring the money machine to an end.

D_Fiona_Farvel

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
He's hardly the only candidate, just the most visible, as most 3rd party types and Karger - the invisible Republican 2012er - say much the same on these issues. However, I also find his stance against the war machine attractive.

I'm a lifelong anti-war Democrat -- I voted for Obama and even volunteered for his campaign. I am staunchly anti-war and a big supporter of gay marriage rights. Well, needless to say I'm immensely disappointed with Obama on both accounts -- war has only escalated and the government is still an impediment to gay marriage rights.

And so I'm doing something I never expected I would. I'm supporting Ron Paul.

I know, I know, but hear me out...

He is the ONLY candidate who is calling for the end of the wars. And he MEANS it.

And, he is the ONLY candidate who is calling for the government to STAY OUT of peoples' marriage choices. And he MEANS it.

I don't give a shit about partisan crap anymore -- I'm supporting peace and freedom and Ron Paul is the only such voice out there.

I'm getting bashed for this by my friends (and I'm not even going to BOTHER reading the attacks I'll get here) -- but I hope some of them will wake up and join me.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media

QFT. I agree with Paul about gay marriage and foreign wars, but he wants to take government out of everything possible. That is neither possible nor effective at solving our problems. Plus there's that whole racism past thing. Ugh.