Lights Out

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by that_other_guy, Jan 29, 2007.

1. So ... one of my friends just sent me this and I thought that I would share it with the group. This isn't really to discuss global warming, etc. but just to announce something that the world community is doing (apparently) to save energy and cut emissions. On February 1st, between the times of 7:55 PM & 8:00 PM (in your respective timezones), everyone who wants to, will be shutting of lights, unplugging cell phone chargers, turning off the heat/ac (depends on where you are), etc. for 5 minutes. That is all that is asked for ...
    I thought it was kind of interesting and now, I'm going to do it too.

French green groups call for national lights-out on Feb 1 - Yahoo! News

2. dannymawg

Gold Member

3. Matthew

Gold Member

4. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    OMG!!!! The J.Geils band... I used to LOVE THEM... Peter Wolf is the shit!!!! Are we supposed to turn off what we absolutely don't need, or turn everything off?

5. dannymawg

Gold Member

The yahoo article t_o_g linked says lights as well as "gadgets in standby mode", meaning VCRs/DVRs, some stereo components, cell phone chargers... computers...

It would be interesting to see some metrics on this effort's impact on electric companies' grid systems - provided enough people were aware of it and participated...

6. viking1

Gold Member

It might not be as interesting as you think. If a LOT of people do this, and at close to the same time, an overload and major blackout could occur.
    In the middle of winter this might not be so funny. I understand the reasons behind the effort. If enough people get involved and do turn a LOT of load off and on, it could have serious consequences for the power grid.

7. dannymawg

Gold Member

Very good point. I imagine that's why this wasn't designed for people to do it all at once, say according to UTC. One time zone at a time would lessen the impact.

8. Turn off what you can, but not anything you critically need (duh) ... every little bit helps :smile:

9. GoneA

Gold Member

So this'll be like a self-inflicted Y2K, no?

10. dags

dags New Member

Interesting, awareness is good. I would also recommend the movie "An inconvienient truth". Not saying everyone should freak out and be total green tree huggers as they say but at least see it and think about it. :wink1:

11. Haha ... Well, that does put a negative spin on it but, yeah :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted