Like I said

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Phil Ayesho, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

I have been saying it, now Scientific American is saying it.

Focus on getting off oil is our best hope for solving this economic crisis.

2. D_Davy_Downspout

D_Davy_Downspout Account Disabled

Scientific American is a liberal rag, man.

3. lucky8

Gold Member

It's true though, we do need to steer away from oil. That would make our economy sooo much better, and keep us as the world leader. We CAN do it, it's not impossible. Let's show the rest of the world how energy independence is done. The only problem is it's going to very hard, requiring tons of work, something our politicians seem to avoid

4. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oil created from algae might be able to do that. An area 10% the size of New Mexico could supply all the transportation needs of the USA. Cost? About $700B. Zero dollars sent overseas. The Chinese, Indians, and Europeans could then fight over the Middle East oil.

5. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Sending $ overseas is how you got where you were. And in case you hadn't noticed, you are the ones fighting.

Otherwise, you have the situation covered :rolleyes:.

6. 1BiGG1

Gold Member

Energy finance here and although we are making great strides and advancements in many areas its not quite primetime yet + national/international macroeconomics dictate a prudent changeover that will take decades.

Not saying I’m not a fan of a fossil fuel free economy, I’m sure there are few that support the cause more but right now we should be exploiting every square inch of American territory for every drop of oil (including tar sands & shale) and natural gas contained within.

7. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    Is that any better?
    :redface::tongue: lemme clarify.
    OK if, if, an algae to oil system was to be developed, and some data shows that it is possible. The Aquatic Species Program was stopped in the 90's but other companies are continuing research. I read somewhere it would cost $700B to develop it. I might be thinking of a total solar electricity program though. It is kind of ironic though that the number is the same.
    Wiki quote from above reference:
    So it would have been cheaper to get oil from algae instead of mineral oil, if a plan was put into effect.

Then zero dollars would be sent overseas to the currently oil rich producing countries. Which is the largest transfer of wealth in human history. As some of the ads for the PickensPlan advertise, and is true, some people in those countries really don't like the USA and the west. If we were sending zero dollars to the Middle East oil producers we wouldn't be inclined to fight over it. They would be some 3rd world backwater countries that Americans would have to get a map to look at. As if Americans are good at geography in the first place, but I digress:rolleyes: So then the other countries of the world could fight over it as much as they want. Yah I realize that the US is currently in the Middle East fighting. (No reason to be condescending!) Before the US it was the British as stong arm in the region til they pulled out of everything east of Suez.

The area is for reference, not that you would want to cover thousands of acres in a block. :tongue: The widely quoted 100x100 mile in the desert SW could supply all the electricity the US uses, again it's for reference. An acre here, 500 there, 2000 over there. It would be surprisingly easy to make that amount of acreage available. An area the size of Belgium could supply Europe. More cars run on diesel in Europe than in the USA.

#7 TurkeyWithaSunburn, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  8. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I didn't mean to be condescending, I misread you somewhat.

The world almost had too much history last century. I am not sure that we dealt with it that well. Where we go is very much up in the air. The US is of course a central player and watching as an outsider, it is interesting to see the swings between total involvement (or desire for total control) and total disengagement. I am not sure that the US really knows where it wants to go and how it wishes to sit at the global table with the rest of us.

9. Flashy

Gold Member

Thank god you have been on this and saying it before anyone else in the world, Phil.

Thanks for taking time out from mentoring graphic designers to be on the case before anyone else, re: the importance of renewable energy resources.

It was awesome the way you beat out all those sources you read from to get us on the case before anyone else.

kudos to you, phil.

You have been the only one saying this in the world, and now the rest of the world is catching up.

would you like the statue of you carved out of marble or bronze...or maybe something more eco-friendly, like, say, Bat Guano?

don't tell me...the guano, right?

three cheers for your selflessness.

10. davec94

davec94 Member

Drilling for oil is part of God's plan you morons. If you stop drilling for oil America will be muslim in a year.

11. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    True "Creationist American" has far better articles. :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted