Linford Christie

Discussion in 'Celebrity Endowments' started by Sly Adey, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Sly Adey

Sly Adey New Member

I've just done a search and found no reference to this British athlete who was famous for his "lunch box" (meat and two veg). How can this be? It is still the biggest cock to have been seen on British telly.

2. Glansman

Glansman New Member

no there wa a documentary abt a ny guy with a giant cock but christie's is huge and uncut

3. Sly Adey

Sly Adey New Member

He hated it he said because his "lunchbox" was more famous than he was and interested people more than his athletic success:rolleyes:

4. dongalong

Gold Member

I remember the Sun's front page spread of Linford's gold medal success at the Olympics, "what's in Linford's lunchbox" I'm not sure they even mentioned the gold medal that he won.

5. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

I've always been something of a skeptic with regard to the supposed über-dimensionality of Linford's package, and think that people's perceptions were affected to some extent by tabloid media coverage of his 'lunchbox', which was in turn shaped by stereotypes about black penis size.

As The British Council has put it: "Media representations of black sports people also perpetuate (...) stereotypes through reporting which emphasises skills and 'natural' ability before qualities such as effort, intelligence, or courage. A notorious example of this was from a few years ago when the tabloid press picked up on a photograph of Linford Christie in tight fitting lycra shorts and ran a whole series of features on Christie's 'lunch box', a crude sexual reference to his anatomy, based on stereotypes of black physique." [Source]

It's worth remembering that the kind of all-revealing lycrawear that is now commonplace on televized athletic events was really still a novelty during the early years of his prodigious career as well, and so, imho, he became the scapegoat figure onto whom it was possible to project all kinds of responses to suddenly seeing clear penis outlines on British daytime television.

Was there a clear and sizeable bulge in his lycra?
    For sure
    , as per the pictures attached below.
    But, looked at with hindsight, was it really the mythical "biggest cock to have been seen on British telly" that it seemed at the time?
    The final image shows Linford's wax model at Madame Tussaud's, which was apparently anatomically correct, and which again seems indicative of a substantial package, but not a monstrously oversized one, as the whole 'lunchbox' lampooning might lead one to believe.

Attached Files:

6. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Bingo, Alex, I'll bet.
    Although it's still an estimable outcropping, isn't it?

7. velvetsweat

velvetsweat Active Member

around the time The Sun was focussing on "Linford's Lunchbox" they always
    used to print pics of him in lycra , and make out that his cock was pretty
    much running down part of his leg , when what it actually was was a very
    well developed inner leg muscle which was impressively snake-like , if you
    weren't an expert on the anatomy of the athlete you could really believe
    it was a huge cock really , so though he may well be huge it was a bit of
    mischief making and misdirection on the newspapers part .

8. aussietango

aussietango Member

Impressive linford

does anyone have any pics of Christian Malcolm
    also a sprinter in the UK, Wales I'm thinking

9. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

He sure has a nice physique independent of his "lunch".

10. Tank30

Tank30 Member

He is one of my favorite track and field athletes. The man is just hot with or with out his "lunchbox".

11. CuriousGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Alex, thanks for the great pics, as always. But please don't bring up the stereotype issue. Christie received the attention because he appears to be hugely hung, not because he is a black man. Your point about the type of running uniform he wore being relatively new is a valid one. We've certainly seen many more sprinters recently who also reveal a considerable amount of heft down there. It's likely that Christie is a focal point because he was one of the first track stars to be noticed in the lycra uniform. Thanks again for your post.

12. eattom

eattom Member

Albums:
    I agree with you Curious Guy. There must be pics showing Linford in all his glory. The ones posted don't show much. Christian Malcolm is also hung.

13. snobbes

Gold Member

14. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

Ways this could have been worded better, imho, rather than as a dismissive order for me not to dare broach this point:

"In my opinion, the stereotype issue was not relevant here".
    "I'm not certain that it was a matter of black stereotypification".
    etc.

In terms of cultural representations of ethnicity within the British tabloid media, the reduction of Linford Christie to merely "a lunchbox" is a much-discussed case. So to dismiss it outright as you did above, rather than to state that you personally feel otherwise about the issue, is to dismiss the best part of two decades of discussion on this issue.

Cultural representations based on issues of ethnicity are bound up in projections of perceived 'inate' properties of members of various races/nationalities. And I (along with those who wrote the British Council piece cited above, amongst others) would argue that the 'lunchboxization' of Linford C. was rooted in pre-existing stereotypes about black male hypersexuality, which facilitated a discussion of the new phenomenon of seeing athletes' bulges in lycra running gear by transposing this into racialized terms. Rather than talking about how it was a new, widespread phenomenon, one black athletics champion was picked out and reduced to the symbolic function of 'bulge show-er', with all the usual unspoken-but-assumed notions of black men being bigger, black men being hypersexual, etc. coming into play.

15. CuriousGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Alex, I get your point. Just thought it was obvious that it was my opinion. Please don't leave, contrary to what you believe you WILL be sorely missed!

16. aussietango

aussietango Member

hey thanks for the pics of christian malcolm
    he is really cute
    maybe i'll try start a new thread just for him

Draft saved Draft deleted