link: boogie nights and exaggerations?

dolf: Recently I was reading an article about a special effects artist who is in Edmonton working on a sequel to a movie called Gingersnap (I assume it was a small budget movie as I had never heard of it before.)  The interview noted that he is the same effects guy who had created a penis for Boogie Nights.  At the end of the article he had said that the director had originally wanted a 12" cock but being as the actor was fairly small it looked wrong and instead he had created a 7"er.  I have never seen the movie so I do not know if it was an erect or flacid shot, but I had heard about the shot in that movie and how it must have been at least a foot long.  This seems to tie into a recent thread about men claiming to be larger than they are. It makes me think that many men claiming to be 12 may have been comparing it to that movie. ;)

sammygirly: It's a flaccid shot in boogie nights....but, uh Pecker I think he's just saying that people don't fully understand the difference between 7" and 12"....I think... ;D

Donk: sammygirl is right, it is a flaccid shot in the film. And it looks similar in size (though not reality level) to my own, so 7" sounds about right. And I agree that the reaction of most of the viewers to the size is more evidence of how most people have exaggerated perceptions. But I also think that many viewers recognized it as flaccid and made assumptions about how big it would get if hard.

BTW, the DVD of Boogie Nights includes some test footage of the attempted erect version. This footage (pardon the pun) is hidden in the color set-up section of the DVD. You have to go into color set-up and then sit or fast forward through the color test pattern and some other outtakes. Then there are several minutes of Marky Mark's crotch with the (obviously) fake erect penis attached over it. He practices holding it, jiggling it around, etc.

When I watched it, what I found fascinating was the idea that here was a guy who really has a more average size penis getting some idea of what it is like to have one that is close in size (and shape, actually) to mine. I think many guys fantasize about that and I wonder if Mark had any thoughts about the fact that he was playing a character with a much bigger endowment than he actually has.

absolut_23: It seems that it's not just the general public (without our in depth knowledge of these matters) who cannot seem to accurately 'eye' the length of a penis, flaccid or erect.

One example which easily misleads.......

Take the penis next to a coke/beer can pictures you see everywhere......a coke can is only about 5 inches long (but 8 inches around). If a penis only goes about an inch past the can - it means it is about 6 inches.

The picture can make your penis look big (especially if it is thick) - but it is mostly an illusion...............

Trained eyes can figure out the size and see past the illusion.............so if you intend on posting a pic (and I'm not naming names :-X) of a 6 inch dick and saying it's 8, well, it won't fool too many people on this site..............

P.S. - The boogie nights prosthetic was definitely closer to 7 than 12

bigtom: My first impression of the 'penis' in boogie nights was not that the penis was large, but rather that it was disturbingly skinny and ugly. I was genuinely surprised to hear that people's impression was that it was a "big dick".

Did anyone else have the same reaction?

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
I had a similar reaction, bigtom.

Just knowing it was prosthetic made it look cold and nonfunctional -- even a dildo looks more useful.

The day is not far off when male full-frontal nudity will be common so the makeup and special effects guys had better get to work on making those things look more real.

Maybe computer enhancement is more advanced than the prosthesis-makers could ever be and we'll therefore never really know whether what we see in a movie is real or just wishful thinking. :eek:

Pecker

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There is better technology available today, but there are still movie censors to deal with. The original plan was to make a very convincing prosthetic, complete with pink tinted glans and airbrushed veins, but the censors insisted that it be sufficiently obvious that the cock in that scene was fake if Boogie Nights were to be released under an R rating. Look in sex toy shops today: there are some very realistic dildos available on the market. A lot can be done with latex, but unfortunately there are some too tight-assed censors out there. And about the size: yeah, it was seven inches. The script states that Dirk Diggler has 13 inches. I know a guy a little over 12" erect, and he hangs at about 7" flaccid, so Dirk's 13" might very well be about 7" soft. About 'Marky' Mark Wahlberg: Marky is no Dirk Diggler, but there are a few genuine nude photos of him (which he readily admits), and in those shots you'll see that he's actually hung larger than average.

Donk: [quote author=DoubleMeatWhopper link=board=meetgreet;num=1047029006;start=0#7 date=03/08/03 at 08:32:37]The script states that Dirk Diggler has 13 inches. [/quote]

You know, one thing I noticed in watching that movie a few times is that his exact size was never actually stated in the film itself. In spite of that, it seems like it is common knowledge from reviews and discussions of the movie that he was supposed to be 13". Good PR work, I guess.

awellhungboi: I think Dirk's measurement is mentioned in the Brock Landers movie-within-a movie. Dirk/Brock is with a woman and he takes the toothpick out of his mouth and says something wonderfully cheesy like, "Thirteen inches is a lot to take, baby." But it's been a few years since I've seen it.

Originally Leonardo DiCaprio was supposed to play Dirk but (according to Mark Wahlberg, so take it with a grain of salt) Marky Mark said to the director, "I've got an inch on Leo," and P.T. Anderson said, "Show me," and Wahlberg did and got the part. I think that's on the DVD commentary.

On a totally off-the-wall sidenote I think Gingersnap was a low-budget Grade Z movie, complete with the obligatory heavy metal soundtrack of minor Ozzfest artists, about girls who turn into werewolves. Awroooo!