List 5 Quintessential Movies Which Define the Spirit of Your Country

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well Blake Edwards was definitely American, so I am not sure whose film you would call it, but not French.

Benny Hill could have been considered quintessential British Humour in the 1970's. It wouldn't be my choice now but that music brings a smile to my face.

I was just looking for something that represented US humour, but that would be your call not mine. I liked the Canuckstani. Maybe Blazing Saddles?

For some reason I thought you were Hong Kong Chinese Drifterwood.

HiddenLacey

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Pursuit of Happiness
Saving Private Ryan
The Money Pit
Toss up between Funny Farm or National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Forrest Gump

Last edited by a moderator:

B_Jordan85

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
JFK
Forrest Gump
Taxi Driver
The Last Picture Show
Wall Street

PS. Braveheart would be a quintessential Scottish film, like Trainspotting is.

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Citizen Kane
The Magnificent Ambersons
The Wizard of Oz
Sunset Boulevard
Midnight Cowboy

(Among so many others)

B_Jordan85

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Forrest Gump?

Good God are we a nation of idiots?

I never said it was the perfect film, BUT it is a testament to the spirit of this country, a timeline of the most important era in American History. YES, we are a nation of idiots with moments of random luck.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
I never said it was the perfect film, BUT it is a testament to the spirit of this country, a timeline of the most important era in American History. YES, we are a nation of idiots with moments of random luck.

I think we're quite a bit better than that. I do love the movie though even if it was embraced by the far right as a movie that extols conservative ideals and virtues.

B_Jordan85

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think we're quite a bit better than that. I do love the movie though even if it was embraced by the far right as a movie that extols conservative ideals and virtues.

I didn't really take it like that. It doesn't exactly paint the Vietnam War as a conservative ideal, now does it? Or, what about how they portray the Black Panthers? Sort of a little too friendly and accepting than a conservative would ideal.

Have you even seen Being There? It's far better and has a similar theme. Forrest Gump is a fun movie that has an interesting take on American history, I'll leave it at that.

How many Americans are too dumb to see the importance of what passes them by? That theme wouldn't be considered conservative.

Last edited:

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To quote Homer, Simpson that is, "Is there no place in America for a man with a 105 IQ?" :wink:

Well, if everyone had a 105 IQ who would need reality TV, Fox news, Donald Trump and Sarah Palin?

We have our own version of the Roman Coliseum games to keep us entertained from our boring meaningless existence.

Thumbs down. Last days of Rome is near. End of the empire.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

The film was about a lucky Moron. That is not the American spirit...I hope.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
I didn't really take it like that. It doesn't exactly paint the Vietnam War as a conservative ideal, now does it? Or, what about how they portray the Black Panthers? Sort of a little too friendly and accepting than a conservative would ideal.

Have you even seen Being There? It's far better and has a similar theme. Forrest Gump is a fun movie that has an interesting take on American history, I'll leave it at that.

How many Americans are too dumb to see the importance of what passes them by? That theme wouldn't be considered conservative.

I have seen Being There and think it too is a very good movie.

I didn't say that I thought Gump was a conservative leaning film only that it has been embraced by the Right as such.

Finally, I still am not sold on the stupidity of the average American. I would suggest that people in all walks of life across the world miss much of the history that surrounds them as they engulf themselves in the immediate toil of meeting their everyday needs.

B_Jordan85

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have seen Being There and think it too is a very good movie.

I didn't say that I thought Gump was a conservative leaning film only that it has been embraced by the Right as such.

Finally, I still am not sold on the stupidity of the average American. I would suggest that people in all walks of life across the world miss much of the history that surrounds them as they engulf themselves in the immediate toil of meeting their everyday needs.

so you don't think American media has transformed the typical citizen into a dumbass? hmmm... I believe we used to be at the tops in education, but definitely not anymore, and haven't been for a long time. I am not talking about Gump. In actuality Gump was very clever, and in ways a lot smarter than the typical American. Just simple.

It's plain to see, just look at what Americans do for fun these days. Especially over the last 10 years this culture has completely dumbed-down. A group of folks that seek instant gratification and do not have the attention span to build any sort of in-depth knowledge about anything. It's all about jumping from one thing to the next, one technology to the next, one idea to the next, one news story to the next.

B_Jordan85

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
my list does not refer to the best "American Films", but a list of what comes to mind when rating "Americana Norman Rockwell" on the screen. They might not be the best films, but they are "stereotypically American." Those type of films you would show a foreigner if they wanted to know what comes along with the golden paved sidewalks.