Little Bumps

gigantikok: I recently decided to give shaving a try. I was previously under the opinion that shaving my penis would make me feel too uncomfortable and that I knew the itching would drive me crazy. I decided, however, to try and be real careful and give it a shot. Well, I ended up shaving the base of the shaft very carefully. When I was done it felt great and looked good. It didn't start itching until yesterday, but the itching wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

My main problem is that I woke up this morning and noticed lots of little bumps around the area I shaved. Not only that, but some were colored white. Anyway, I'm pretty scared and not sure if I did something wrong. Are little white bumps in the area you shaved (after the first shave) normal? I don't remember seeing white bumps on my face after I shaved there for the first time! Dammit, I shaved it to make it look more visually pleasing... and now it is looking worse!!

My questions are: Are these normal after the first time? Did I do something wrong? Do they go away with time or is there something I have to do to make them go away?

Thanks guys, any response is greatly appreciated.

7x6andchg: Well - G -

They could be irritated hair follicles.
They could be pimples you never knew you had.
They could be the remnants of razor burn.

My money is on #1, from my own experience (which is the reason I tend not to shave too much down there now)...if you shave too close the hair grows back into its follicle...this does resolve over time, if the hair is allowed to grow back.

At least that is what it sounds like to me....

7x6&C

gigantikok: Thanks for the info, 7. What happens if the hair is not allowed to grow back, so to speak? :-/

7x6andchg: My understanding is that eventually the hair realizes that it's not going to be allowed to do that, and "calms down".

It's roughly akin to the bumps that African-American men can sometimes get on their faces after shaving - it's more prevalent where one's hair is curly...

7x6&C

H8Monga: Don't remind me of the bumps on my face! They go away if I grow a beard but I'm not allowed to with this job...

aussiechick63: I would guess it was irritated hair follicles too.
You have to be careful or they can turn into ingrown hairs, which can be very painful.
Try using creams instead of shaving. It is all I use. Or you could wax. Ouch.

Rich2003: I tried shaving and had similar problems with irratation Gig.

Since then I keep it fairly short with an electric razor and scissors and make sure I avoid any contact between razor and skin. I think it looks best this way (can send u a pic if interested so u can check out how it looks)

Rich

jazzz14: The best advice to keep the bumps away is: you need to EXFOLIATE. It's very easy. When in the shower use a loofa sponge or washcloth with soap to scurb the entire genital area (especially where you shaved). Scrub with good pressure but not to hard to hurt yourself. This will keep the hairs from trying to grow under the skin and stop any itching. Do this each time you shower, not just once or twice.

prepstudinsc: I would guess that the bumps are as a result of razor irritation. I shave the base of my shaft and my balls, too, and every once in a while, I get some red bumps on the shaft, but it happens when I shave and then do some kind of activity that rubs or gets sweaty--like working in the yard or something, soon after shaving. I would suggest shaving your balls with a good shaving cream or a good soap, rather than using shower gel. I use a Mach 3 razor when I do it. Also, there is a cream you can buy at the drug store--usually found along with razors and shaving creams/depilatories called "Bikini Zone". It's designed to be used when shaving or waxing pubic hair. I picked up a tube of it and I use it every time I shave. It stings a little, but since I started using it when I shave my balls and base of my shaft, I haven't had any razor burn problems.

lellelind

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The itching will go away if you keep shave once a week. The itching comes when the hair is growing back again. The skin will get use to it and the itching will stop after two or three weeks or so. The bumps and the red and white scars are pimples that comes from irritation. We call them "shave pimpels" or "shave white heads".
Try this: Take a hot bath or a warm shower before shaving. The warm moist will make the hair softer and much more easier to shave. The skin will also be more soft. Always use shave foam and a razor blade that you only use for shaving the genitals.

gigantikok: thanks for all the advice so far guys. Another question or two:

When i started shaving my face, the hair on my face started growing back thicker and darker. Will this happen to my genital area too?

If i try this "exfoliating" stuff, how long does that take to work?

[quote author=lellelind link=board=clothing;num=1060734848;start=0#9 date=08/13/03 at 11:01:46]
Try this: Take a hot bath or a warm shower before shaving. The warm moist will make the hair softer and much more easier to shave. The skin will also be more soft. Always use shave foam and a razor blade that you only use for shaving the genitals.[/quote]
Actually, i was taking a warm shower when i did it. I also used cream, and a new Mach 3 razor. Oh well.

[quote author=prepstudinsc link=board=clothing;num=1060734848;start=0#8 date=08/13/03 at 07:18:20]I would suggest shaving your balls with a good shaving cream or a good soap, rather than using shower gel.  I use a Mach 3 razor when I do it.  Also, there is a cream you can buy at the drug store--usually found along with razors and shaving creams/depilatories called "Bikini Zone".[/quote]

Thanks for the advice on the shaving cream. I don't think I'm going to try shaving my balls, though! If it hurts this much just on the base of my shaft, i would even want to imagine how it feels when the hairs start growing back on my balls! :D

7x6andchg: The old rumor is that the hair grows back thicker and darker - from my (failed) experiment with shaving down there I haven't noticed any increase in the amount of "brush" since....I have shaved other parts of my body as well and never noticed that happening.

7x6&C

malito: I have been shaving for years. At first i got the "bumps" but they went away. I used some lotion like intensive care or something like that and it helped. I shave my penis and balls about every third day and it is no problem. And sometimes i sit out side and just shave closly. Give your body time to adjust to the newness of the effort and give your body some help with some lotion. both are good for you.