Living in Toronto

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by morsecode, Apr 27, 2009.

1. morsecode

morsecode New Member

I might be moving to Toronto by myself in the very near future, and I was just wondering how it is like, I realize its a big city and won't be lacking in amenities, but more in the vein of how safe it is, cost of living and that kind of stuff, and more importantly, what would be the average rent for a bachelor's place, it doesn't have to be in a super duper nice area, but not in a place where I can get shot in the face by a stray bullet during a Filipino gang fight.

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Such a fun place to be, so much to do and see. I don't have specifics, I've only visited.

3. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I hate the SkyDome and the CN Tower too;
    I hate Nathan Philips Square and the Ontario Zoo.
    The rent's too high,
    The air's unclean,
    The beaches are dirty, and the people are mean,
    And the women are big, and the men are dumb,
    And the children are loopy 'cause they live in a slum.
    The water is polluted and the mayor's a dork.
    They dress real bad and they think they're New York
    In Toronto, Ontario!

--Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie (frequently misattributed to the Arrogant Worms)

4. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

Toronto is beautiful.

5. morsecode

morsecode New Member

Thanks for all your responses, guys, I appreciate it.

You seem to have lived there at one point, do you know of any website I can see an unbiased view of the neighborhoods?

6. morsecode

morsecode New Member

thanks man, yeah you are right Toronto is immense

7. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Actually, the crime rate in Toronto is relatively low and the city actually has a reputation of being one of the safer cities in North America. Check this link out:
    CTV.ca | Despite rise, police say T.O. murder rate 'low'

Toronto Cost of Living says "According to Runheimer International, Toronto is one of the least expensive cities to live in the world."
    But according to Cost of Living in Canada "The survey revealed that Toronto has the highest cost of living in Canada, followed by Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, and Ottawa." so I'm sure the cost of living in Toronto will be more expensive than your native Calgary, but I doubt it'll be a significant increase.

I quickly googled up this link:
    Toronto Apartment Rentals – Search apartments for rent in Toronto, Ontario. which obviously shows apartments for rent. The prices they show are pretty low (and I'm sure there is some kind of drawback), but that "Lansdowne Ave. & Queen St. W." location actually falls under the downtown category and is an area that is quickly improving (due to the fact that the renowned Drake Hotel isn't too far off). Anyway, I was just using that one location as an example, that with some time spent searching, you can easily find a good bachelor's place for a low price in a decent location.

Hope that helped, and I hope you enjoy all the art and culture Toronto has to offer :biggrin1:.

8. morsecode

morsecode New Member

Thanks! I realize that Toronto is pretty safe, especially for a city of its size, that was just my way of saying that I don't want to be in a slumish part of town. And thank you for the link, will look into it.

9. morsecode

morsecode New Member

Good points, I'm used of Calgary's public transportation being all around shitty, compared to, say, Montreal's. I don't even know how to drive, so I may look into a bike over there.

Thanks guys for all the help.

10. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Public transit in Toronto is actually pretty good. If you can find a place near a subway station, you won't have any worries when it comes to getting around. Subway stations are obviously always placed near arterial roads which normally have frequent buses.

11. morsecode

morsecode New Member

Yeah, I've been in the TTC webpage, is pretty daunting really, do streetcars always make their stops and announce every stop, or depends on whether there is people wanting to get in and get out?

12. uncircumsized

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    They have begun to announce the streets before the stops. Depends where, some buses/subway stations are very busy and crowded. The subway system is pretty basic, nothing compared to NYC (that's a real subway system, believe me!!)
    Alot of bus routes in T.O. to make up for the subway

13. morsecode

morsecode New Member

So I just came from Trawna, there's a good chance I got the job, from what I could see it was a very nice city, and I got around just fine, the system is better than Calgary Transit, that's for sure.

14. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Awesome. If you have any questions about the city in general, don't hesitate to ask and I'll gladly answer them if I can. Good luck with the job!

15. morsecode

morsecode New Member

Thanks man! will do.

Draft saved Draft deleted