Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
This woman kicks all kinds of ass:

People have looked at me like I'm crazy when I say I'm against tipping. This is the whole reason why. If I were to run for office I'd make this part of my platform. End. Tipping. Period. Living wage for every industry, including food service workers.

Of course many men also live on tips, but I placed this in this particular section because I felt it fit here better than the rest of the subforums. I'm not disencouraging mens participation, I just felt this was the most appropriate section for the conversation.

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
There are so many problems with tipping culture. It's confusing for customers and arbitrarily unfair to workers. The solution is simple: Pay a fair wage, give bonuses to those who excel and verbal warn --> written warn --> fire people who do not give good service.

But I forget. That solution doesn't allow corporations to get away with paying their staff next to nothing. Silly me.

Media
This woman kicks all kinds of ass:

People have looked at me like I'm crazy when I say I'm against tipping. This is the whole reason why. If I were to run for office I'd make this part of my platform. End. Tipping. Period. Living wage for every industry, including food service workers.

Of course many men also live on tips, but I placed this in this particular section because I felt it fit here better than the rest of the subforums. I'm not disencouraging mens participation, I just felt this was the most appropriate section for the conversation.
https://washingtonpost.com/news/pos...rkers-tips-an-interview-with-heidi-shierholz/

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual

In the UK I'm pretty sure that employers can, and many do, take control of tips. Tipping is nice but not the expected norm here. In April this year the minimum wage in the UK will go up from £7.50 to £7.83.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

This administration is a bucket of cystic ass flaps. I hate every god damn one of the sons of bitches. Is there not one underhand shit move they won't try to slam down the neck of the working people?

Big Money = No Heart

I say up the minimum wage and keep tipping alive. I love tipping, like, to the point of getting cranky when there is a no tipping policy. I grew up knowing to tip people in the service industry. The US population, in general, need to treat service folks with greater respect. These people bust ass to make your life easier and better. Pay them living wages and make sure they are taken care of. Treat them like real people, not interchangeable goods tranferers.

I like having a friendly relationship with the folks I interact with on the regular. I know the lady who makes my coffee and my cocoa. She knows me and my doggos by name. She sneaks Bubbles lil treats every visit. Bubbles loves her, like more than he loves me sometimes. I shop at the same three stores. I know all the check out people and all the cart jockeys. They are the reasons I spend my money where I spend my money. I make sure management knows this. I always make sure to pin the manager down and let him know which employees are keeping me loyal to their business.

I can get tea anywhere, I can't get Ryan asking how my Mom is doing and sneaking me doggo cookies from the bakery at any other store.

Dport

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I guess it depends on the restaurant and the customer base it draws.

My first jobs were dishwasher/prep cook type jobs. And those of us in the kitchen (who didn't answer to 'chef') never made anywhere near what the wait staff made. They often made more in a night than we made in a week.

To be fair they weren't IHOP type restaurants I worked at.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I guess it depends on the restaurant and the customer base it draws.

My first jobs were dishwasher/prep cook type jobs. And those of us in the kitchen (who didn't answer to 'chef') never made anywhere near what the wait staff made. They often made more in a night than we made in a week.

To be fair they weren't IHOP type restaurants I worked at.

As a person who has worked in food service receiving tips for 12 years now, I can say it's not about the money. It's about the fact that employers are getting away with not paying their servers, and the servers are often, Often treated like shit by customers. I can't tell you how many times I've been told to smile more or I won't get a tip. Having money waved at me like I'm supposed to literally bend over for the sake of their pleasure.

Fuck tipping. I want my goddamn employer to pay me a living wage.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
This administration is a bucket of cystic ass flaps. I hate every god damn one of the sons of bitches. Is there not one underhand shit move they won't try to slam down the neck of the working people?

Big Money = No Heart

I say up the minimum wage and keep tipping alive. I love tipping, like, to the point of getting cranky when there is a no tipping policy. I grew up knowing to tip people in the service industry. The US population, in general, need to treat service folks with greater respect. These people bust ass to make your life easier and better. Pay them living wages and make sure they are taken care of. Treat them like real people, not interchangeable goods tranferers.

I like having a friendly relationship with the folks I interact with on the regular. I know the lady who makes my coffee and my cocoa. She knows me and my doggos by name. She sneaks Bubbles lil treats every visit. Bubbles loves her, like more than he loves me sometimes. I shop at the same three stores. I know all the check out people and all the cart jockeys. They are the reasons I spend my money where I spend my money. I make sure management knows this. I always make sure to pin the manager down and let him know which employees are keeping me loyal to their business.

I can get tea anywhere, I can't get Ryan asking how my Mom is doing and sneaking me doggo cookies from the bakery at any other store.

My regular customers are a part of my life. They are people I sincerely appreciate.

However, I will openly and gladly say that I don't think it's their responsibility to pay me. I would still provide the same level of awesome service to them even if they're not giving me that tip.

If it meant I never had to be "manipulated" into acting a certain way again, I'd gladly take a higher wage and never accept a tip from a customer again. Some customers act like you *owe* them a specific kind of attention because they left you more money than is generally considered a fair tip.

I personally would much prefer to simply raise wages in the service industry and do away with tipping. Honestly I feel a level of guilt for having my regulars give me money when they're already paying for the product they're getting. Then I feel guilty when I can't leave a fat-ass tip, which is basically always, so I don't even eat out anymore.

I adore your heart, I really do. Customers like you get me through. If I didn't have my regulars, I likely wouldn't be able to do my job without falling into depression.

As a person who has worked in food service receiving tips for 12 years now, I can say it's not about the money. It's about the fact that employers are getting away with not paying their servers, and the servers are often, Often treated like shit by customers. I can't tell you how many times I've been told to smile more or I won't get a tip. Having money waved at me like I'm supposed to literally bend over for the sake of their pleasure.

I think it might be true that a lot of Americans are just so rude! If you would prefer people to be generally polite (there's always the odd one though), but not tip you, then you could always move to Wales.

Dport

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

That's a fair argument. I've seen wait staff come back to the kitchen in tears.

What burns my ass is how companies are able to keep everyone at just under 40hrs to keep from having to offer benefits. That's fucking shady.

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
It's about the fact that employers are getting away with not paying their servers

Exactly! The business is the entity making money off the hard work of the servers. The business should be paying them a fair wage.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Holly Doors

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Being English the whole concept of tipping as part of a wage seems unfair to me, we do sometimes tip over here but only really as a bonus for a good service and only certain things at that. although tipping goes on in the restaurant industry it's not a requirement and not as common as it used to be since the government brought in the minimum wage which is now £7.50/hour I believe, that's something like $10.50/hour USD. I only really tip my hairdresser (when I don't do it myself) a proper cabby (worth their weight in gold) rarely a private hire taxi unless long haul and never an uber, in fact I'd usually rather walk than catch an uber. If I've had a really nice lunch with my girlfriends then I would tip but only as a sign of appreciation and no specific amount, just whatever lose change I got.

Reactions: HorsemanUK

I think it might be true that a lot of Americans are just so rude! If you would prefer people to be generally polite (there's always the odd one though), but not tip you, then you could always move to Wales.
I stayed in a B&B near Aberystwyth for a wedding last year where they offered a delicious 'full Welsh breakfast'. I asked my Welsh friend how it differed from the full English. She said, oh it's exactly the same, only served with resentment. ;)

I stayed in a B&B near Aberystwyth for a wedding last year where they offered a delicious 'full Welsh breakfast'. I asked my Welsh friend how it differed from the full English. She said, oh it's exactly the same, only served with resentment. ;)
I think you'll find that the main difference is the seaweed. The resentment is usually reserved for tourists.

D

deleted924715

I feel like tipping is such a grey area in the UK and even within different parts of the UK. I went to an, already very expensive for what you get, restaurant a couple of weeks ago and they added a service charge to our bill. When they handed the bill to us, they explained that a service charge had been added, but it wasn't compulsory and we could ask for it to be removed. Awkward much. We paid. But it felt like being blackmailed.

I feel tips should be a bonus at the discretion of the customer. Employees should be paid a fair wage by their employer. Any financial risk should not be borne by the employee - they did their bit, now pay them for their labour. Their livelihood should not be dependant on goodwill gestures. Afterall the restauranteur expects to be paid for the meal - they'll call the police if you don't. Why should the wait staff live with the uncertainty? Just add it to the bloody prices and pay them a living wage FFS.