Living Vicariously Through the Internet- Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Dec 18, 2007.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

Has being on message boards and forums like LPSG replaced your real life interactions with REAL people?

Have these formus and message boards become a substitute for a "real" social life?

What do you get on-line that you don't get in real life?

2. agnslz

Gold Member

No, I don't think it has, it's just added something else which I can't do in real life for various reasons, which is an ability to divulge my dirty inner thoughts and also some other kinds of inner thoughts which I might just keep to myself IRL for fear of offending or disappointing various people I know. I'm also quite shy and quiet in real life, so LPSG and other message boards I'm a member of have helped me to express myself more fully than I usually am able to IRL. I'd say that's a good thing.

3. optimum

optimum New Member

Albums:
    Quite the opposite!

I've gotten lots of great advice from great people that has motivated me to explore all possibilities of my life in reality. I've actually never had more confidence outside in the real world until I joined lpsg

4. whatireallywant

Gold Member

This is exactly how I am too! I have a social life in real life, but I am hesitant to talk about anything sexual with any except the ones from AFF. The clubs I'm in have all kinds of people in them, including some who would be very offended by my "dirty inner thoughts" :biggrin1: I am also very shy and quiet in real life, partly because of growing up with all my views and interests being met with open hostility. So I am very careful in social situations, have to gauge the people I'm around before expressing interest in any of my interests. Now, I'm not even just talking about sexual stuff here! I have been met with open hostility for wanting to do strength training ("women aren't supposed to do that") and for liking world music (often met with hostility that includes a lot of racism).

5. Principessa

Gold Member

6. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

I replaced real friendships long ago, LPSG is filler time now.

7. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

My real relationships are just the same as when I first started using the net about ten years ago, I replaced watching tv with playing on the net, as the net is interacting with people I consider it more valuable than watching tv.

For people who might be housebound or painfully shy I think the net is brilliant, some shy people seem to come out of themselves and mix more in real life after they've practised being the person they'd like to be.

8. Osiris

Gold Member

My life is still very rooted in the real world. Forums are a source of amusement and fun. Plus the added benefit of the wonderful friendships you make here and can take away into the real world.

9. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:

I totally agree

10. hotguy8884

hotguy8884 New Member

thanks spoiled, this totally sums it up for me.. im realy shy in real life, and its so much easier to talk to people in real life about things you've already discussed on the net with other people

you already know how they might respond, and have an idea of how to approach certain topics

although.. some things that happen on the net, should stay on the net

Draft saved Draft deleted