Living Vicariously Through the Internet- Good or Bad?

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Has being on message boards and forums like LPSG replaced your real life interactions with REAL people?

Have these formus and message boards become a substitute for a "real" social life?

What do you get on-line that you don't get in real life?

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
No, I don't think it has, it's just added something else which I can't do in real life for various reasons, which is an ability to divulge my dirty inner thoughts and also some other kinds of inner thoughts which I might just keep to myself IRL for fear of offending or disappointing various people I know. I'm also quite shy and quiet in real life, so LPSG and other message boards I'm a member of have helped me to express myself more fully than I usually am able to IRL. I'd say that's a good thing.

Quite the opposite!

I've gotten lots of great advice from great people that has motivated me to explore all possibilities of my life in reality. I've actually never had more confidence outside in the real world until I joined lpsg

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No, I don't think it has, it's just added something else which I can't do in real life for various reasons, which is an ability to divulge my dirty inner thoughts and also some other kinds of inner thoughts which I might just keep to myself IRL for fear of offending or disappointing various people I know. I'm also quite shy and quiet in real life, so LPSG and other message boards I'm a member of have helped me to express myself more fully than I usually am able to IRL. I'd say that's a good thing.

This is exactly how I am too! I have a social life in real life, but I am hesitant to talk about anything sexual with any except the ones from AFF. The clubs I'm in have all kinds of people in them, including some who would be very offended by my "dirty inner thoughts" :biggrin1: I am also very shy and quiet in real life, partly because of growing up with all my views and interests being met with open hostility. So I am very careful in social situations, have to gauge the people I'm around before expressing interest in any of my interests. Now, I'm not even just talking about sexual stuff here! I have been met with open hostility for wanting to do strength training ("women aren't supposed to do that") and for liking world music (often met with hostility that includes a lot of racism).

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Has being on message boards and forums like LPSG replaced your real life interactions with REAL people? No, I had withdrawn from society due to a major depressive episode years before I discovered LPSG. :redface: Have these formus and message boards become a substitute for a "real" social life? No, I find I seek out real life relationships more. What do you get on-line that you don't get in real life? Usually a kind and understanding ear 24/7. I tend to get my days and nights mixed up. Knowing I can hop online and chat with someone in Oz or England at 3 AM EST, is a great coping mechanism.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My real relationships are just the same as when I first started using the net about ten years ago, I replaced watching tv with playing on the net, as the net is interacting with people I consider it more valuable than watching tv.

For people who might be housebound or painfully shy I think the net is brilliant, some shy people seem to come out of themselves and mix more in real life after they've practised being the person they'd like to be.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My life is still very rooted in the real world. Forums are a source of amusement and fun. Plus the added benefit of the wonderful friendships you make here and can take away into the real world.

arliss

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
My life is still very rooted in the real world. Forums are a source of amusement and fun. Plus the added benefit of the wonderful friendships you make here and can take away into the real
world.

I totally agree

hotguy8884

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For people who might be housebound or painfully shy I think the net is brilliant, some shy people seem to come out of themselves and mix more in real life after they've practised being the person they'd like to be.

thanks spoiled, this totally sums it up for me.. im realy shy in real life, and its so much easier to talk to people in real life about things you've already discussed on the net with other people

you already know how they might respond, and have an idea of how to approach certain topics

although.. some things that happen on the net, should stay on the net