Locker room attire...

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by B_IGotABigOlJimmy, Jan 23, 2010.

1. B_IGotABigOlJimmy

B_IGotABigOlJimmy New Member

I love to be naked. I. Don't have any esteem problems or none of that. But when I go to the gym, I get weird stares when I walk around naked. So, towel or no towel in the locker rooms?

2. D_CountdeGrandePinja

D_CountdeGrandePinja Account Disabled

Why worry about some stares? If you are comfortable and not being "in anyone's way" you are just fine.
    I go from towel to untowel (if there is such a word).

3. TheEnforcer

TheEnforcer Member

There is still that stigmatization of being naked in a lot of cultures, in some cultures more than other.. In asian cultures, and in North American culture especially... I would say wear a towel... most people probably put up their "No-Homo" guard and feel that you're trying to "throw your dick up in their face" when they see you walking around naked; although that may not be your true intention. Some guy came out from the shower butt naked with his semi-erect dick dangling down just to ask me if I had left my soap in the shower cubicle... And told him no... but I got the impression that he just wanted me to see him, maybe to see if I would act on a sexual impulse and possibly meet him in the steamroom or something... If we were in a different circumstance, possibly I would have... LoL... but nah, I think it's pretty trashy to have sex at the gym... That's one work out that you can do at home...

4. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I also love being naked and feel pretty comfortable doing so, but the locker room is one place I feel a bit odd walking around with everything hanging out. It's probably because there are so many latinos at my gym, thus a bit of a cultural difference on public nudity. I guess my style is to try to make those around me feel comfortable rather than try to force my level of comfort on them.
    I lived in Japan for many years, which is also culturally different, but the other way. Public baths there are ubiquitous and are places for everybody to just hang out in the buff (99% of them are separated male/female, though not all). It was so awesome to do things like having company outings to the public baths or hot springs and getting to sit around and shoot the shit with all of my officemates buck naked while soaking in hot pools. Or, to be out drinking with all my buds and then end up at the local public bath afterward, everybody horsing around naked wrestling each other and shit. Damn, I miss that kind of attitude...

5. paulobr79

paulobr79 Member

Albums:
    Dude,
    If you're comfortable being nude in the locker room, be nude. If guys are staring or giving weird looks, they are probably jealous of your awesome cock

6. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm with paulobr, it's probably envy. Justifiable, I might add. Still, every locker room has its own cultural norms. If you want to fit it you may need to adapt to prevailing customs.
    Dave

7. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

let me assure you it has not always been that way. In my younger days everyone took showers after phys ed, wore speedos, and changed clothes and showered at the health clubs.

8. joeweekend

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I like to have a towel - in my hand. Unless I'm just buck nekkid . . . .

9. D_Doe_Ray_Mi

D_Doe_Ray_Mi Account Disabled

The guideline that I follow is to be true to myself, my comfort, my security and be respectful but not to the point that I take on other's inhibitions. I workout at a world class club and spa and fortunately the local membership is very relaxed and walking around the locker room, to showers, steam, sauna, shaving at sink, etc. naked is the norm. Tourists are another matter and you get the full range from towel-dancers to overt "pee-pee watchers". It's your call. Act on your comfort or for other's comfort.

10. inwait8

inwait8 Active Member

Albums:
    It is a locker room... one should expect to see people in various states of undress, if they don't want to then they shouldn't be there. It's sorta like being on a clothing optional beach and complaining about all the nude people... hello!

11. CUBE

Gold Member

Albums:
    agree with the others, they are just in awe of your size...just be the king you are man

12. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I usually walk to the shower with my towel over my shoulder. :)

13. Pecker Check

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Where did the term butt naked ever come from?

14. hung9mike

hung9mike Well-Known Member

Albums:
    I see guys standing in front of the mirror, combing their hair, buck naked in the locker room at my gym. It's as if they're looking for some reason not to put anything on and begging you to look at them. Naturally, they are never the guys I want to see naked.

15. D_Doe_Ray_Mi

PeterCheck,
    It's actually an abuse of the expression, "buck naked" as in naked as a buck, male deer or elk. Bucks have hair surrounding their ass that is white and accentuates their nakedness. Hence "buck naked".
    Thanks hung9mike for a perfect example of the appropriate use of the expression.

#15 D_Doe_Ray_Mi, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  16. Pecker Check

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hi ejac. I agree with you and opt for the buck. (But I don't suppose it "stops here.") ;-)

I never heard anything but buck naked until the past twenty years.

Take a look at this:

Language Log: Bu?? naked

17. B_dxjnorto

B_dxjnorto New Member

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The deal with the big 'ol jimmy is people are going to think you are showing off if all you do is shower like any other naked guy in the locker room.

I do have a story about that. When I was in Army Basic Training, a guy named Newell would always stand naked at the mirror in the morning shaving while the rest of us were scurrying around cleaning and polishing the showers, urinals, sinks and toilets. Until about the end of Basic Training no one had said a word to him. One day Drill Sergeant Thomas said, "Newell, put some clothes on." And you guessed it. He had a big 'ol jimmy. It's almost like he got a free pass because he was so big. I suppose, you know, everyone enjoyed the show. None of the rest of us would have got away with doing what he did.

18. D_Doe_Ray_Mi

Thanks for the interesting reference and discussion. Sorry for the diversion from the subject at hand . . . back to buck-nakedness in the locker room . . .

19. jockmaestro

Gold Member

Do your bit for men's sexual psyches: walk around naked, jocked, in briefs, whatever in the LR without fear. guys NEED to see other guys naked.

20. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    A locker room is a changing room, so naturally at some point you will be naked. This whole notion of covering up is so puritanical. Examine your routine at home. I shower naked and I stand in front of the mirror afterwards and shave, brush my teeth and brush my hair.......all naked. If you can't feel comfortable doing those tasks naked, well, I am at a loss for words. The gym should be no different. However, if you are there waving your stuff around, waiting for a date for Friday night then go to a bath house.

Draft saved Draft deleted