locker room layout and privacy

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by dave2006, Mar 25, 2007.

1. dave2006

dave2006 New Member

based on the layout of the locker room and showers at your gym how much privacy do you have for changing and showering?

2. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    None. It's pretty open where I go. If you wanna see or be seen, it's all pretty much out there.

Oh, but they recently added curtains to the showers stalls. Mixed on how I feel about that. :wink:

3. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    NONE(none needed)(or wanted)

4. TitanicJake

TitanicJake New Member

Zero privacy at both gyms I belong to.
    I like it that way.
    It is a respite from the outside world. It is where we are men and proud of it. I don't put on a show and I don't stare.
    I stand naked face to face with other naked men and we talk as men.
    I talk with teens and old guys too.
    It feels good to be free and open with my body.
    I like the compliments I receive and the talks I have in the showers and lockers.
    In hs/college some of the best talks of my life were in the open showers/lockers.
    Jake

5. eager2do2

eager2do2 New Member

Albums:
    Who wants privacy?

6. crescendo69

Gold Member

Completely open at the university's old aquatic center. Completely private at the university's new gym and sports complex - tell ya' anything?

7. Latinoboy9

Latinoboy9 New Member

Albums:
    As a competitive swimmer in high school and now in college all I can say is every time I have been to a swim meet the locker rooms are always open and have gang showers or open wall showers and both teams shower together after the meets and its always a eye opening experience for me and everyone else. And my gym is a very open YMCA with gang showers and open wall shower for sauna and steam rooms. Lots of guys, young, old and lots of conversation. Jose'Latinoboy9:cool:

8. Ponyboy18

Ponyboy18 New Member

my gym has a sectioned changing area but big open shower.

MATT

9. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    open layout here.....no stalls/booths to change/hide in.

10. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Open. Not even an age restriction.

11. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    I am a memeber at a Family Y. Open lockers and showers but there is an age requirment, get this a family Y but if you are there with your kids you have to use the boys or girls locker room. Interestingly enough, I know a guy in his early 20's who still uses the boys locker room. He says it is much quieter, read private, there during the day. I prefer the adult side....sauna there. Our whirlpool is located between the adult male and adult female locker rooms. It is coed, no nudity there. I enjoy hanging nude in the sauna, and would prefer so in the whirlpool and pool, but no such luck. It is not that I have such a hot bod...just nude is the way to be in or near the water.

12. Standard Deviant

Albums:
    When I was in grad school about ten years ago, I was amazed at a "controversy" that became blown up in the school paper. A number of students wrote in to complain about fellow students and faculty who were not "covering up" their privates in the locker rooms at the sports facilities. (University of Minnesota--prudish part of the country, anyway.) So yes, it tells me something.

13. catman

Gold Member

it is 'open' where I go- the locker area is in a..."m" shape, with lockers aound the 'm'. in teh center is a divider- one side going 'out' to the gym and the other to the shower/sauna/whirlpool.

Sauna/shower are male only (the sign says to wear clothing but q few of us do not (its seems rediculous to wear clothes in a sauna to me...). We have quite a few who wear warm up clothes in there to loosen up... I usually sit on my towel and use it as a 'diaper' or wrap it and sit...

The whirlpool/pool sadly is co-ed.

14. D_Coyne Toss

D_Coyne Toss New Member

It is an opened one with some closed facilities, where I hide when in the locker there are kids, or when I am not in the mood of showing all off.

Showers are opened.

15. londonguy

londonguy New Member

Albums:
    The changing area at my gym is open and a bit cramped (its shoved in an old building) However, thankfully the showers are stalled with proper locking doors. I have no issue with anyone seeing me naked, but if you go to the gym on the way to work, the shower you take there is the only shower you might have in the day, therefore some privacy is quite welcome. i always thought that was why they started installing private showers? Some people do leave the doors open though which I always thinnk is a very thought through action. I like this set up, as I think its nice/normal to change together but also have privacy whilst washing!

16. earllogjam

Gold Member

The built enviornment is a direct reflection on our society's values, beliefs, fears. You can read built environments like a book or painting or picture. They tell you what is important to the people who live in it. Our culture sprouted from the beliefs of the Puritans and our built enviroment reflects that. Nudity is verboten, body is evil, sex is only for procreation all manifests in the built enviornment. Our forfathers were the most frigid, sexually uptight, backwards, pleasure repressed people on the planet. Urinal partitions, non-communal bathing, no sex positive public institutions, separate showers for everbody with an extra compartment to change in all grow out of our Puritan based belief system. And unfortunately the insidious US beliefs have spread around the globe to one extent or another. Look at the grand larger than life Roman Bathhouses where nudity was rejoiced and there was no shame in sex -now there was a great cultural institution and their buildings reflect that.

17. D_Harry_Crax

D_Harry_Crax Account Disabled

When the University of Georgia opened the Ramsey Center sports/recreation complex in about 1995, the men's locker room was built with some shower stalls AND gang showers, too. So one could always choose, on a day-to-day basis, whether to see and be seen, or not see and not be seen. The Ramsey Center cost about $35 million in the mid-1990s, but has no sauna, steamroom, or whirlpool open to general use by faculty and students, if it has any at all. Perhaps this was because an old building (which has been torn down) that had a swimming pool, right next to the student union, was rather notorious for gay men meeting there in the locker room and whatever they had in the way of a sauna or steamroom (I forget which, if not both).

18. thk8plus4u

thk8plus4u Member

Wow, I've been going to the wrong gym! I WISH mine had an open shower... you rarely see that in New York City. One of the few times
    I've been in an open shower room was San Diego. Excellent. The
    views were spectacular.

They're on to us here in NYC. Lots of stalls with doors, curtains.
    Private cubicles to stop guys from... Aww, hell, this is the Big
    Apple. They can't stop the music!

19. SlickWilly

SlickWilly Member

The gym I go to was recently-built. The locker room is pretty open, & there's a fairly long walk past the toilets and sauna to get to the shower room (which is closest to the pool). Anyways, about 6 months AFTER they open, they put up shower curtains in all the shower stalls. I think it's hilarious at the lengths some go to, to keep their curtain completely closed at all times. I've seen guys change from their sweaty workout clothes into a pair of shorts to go shower in. Conversely, have seen others who could care less what others see or think, doff their clothes, throw their towel over their shoulder & march off to the shower.

As for me personally, I gave up a long time ago worrying about what others saw or thought. It's just not worth worrying about.

As for the shower curtains... whatEVER. Now, the shower curtains & stalls have all kinds of green & orange slime on them. yuk.

20. sargon20

Gold Member

I've noticed the younger guys are way much more modest. They take off their underwear and put on their underwear underneath a towel. And communal showers are falling one by one to private showers with curtains when renovated. If the trend continues we won't have a locker room at all but rather private bathrooms for everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted