Locker room shower shock

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by guest87, Feb 23, 2011.

1. guest87

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I just had my first visit to a local gym in London and I was a bit surprised when I came to the shower area: there were individual cubicles for each shower (like this Luminoso frameless shower cubicles | perspex, lucite, cast acrylic |changing room | cabrillant)

This may seem like a pointless observation but I come from Scandinavia and all of the gyms I've been to have had open showers or dividers at the most. Is it a common practice to have this kind of shower cubicle system in the UK? Ok, I guess it's nice to have some privacy while showering but to me it felt like being in some odd fitting room :lol:. Are the british guys so afraid of letting someone catch a glimpse of their dick?

Btw, saw quite a few towel dancers there as well... oh dear.

2. crescendo69

Gold Member

And two kids at the local pool changing room yelled, "Ew! A naked man!", when they saw me. I had just taken a shower nude in the community shower with another naked man, and anyone could see us there, too. But since I didn't go into the private cubicle to change, they felt that was weird.

This would never have happened twenty years ago.

3. dude_007

Gold Member

Towel dancer?

4. maxcok

Gold Member

*wonders if it isn't high time for a separate open shower / locker room forum*

5. TuckMeUnder

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    No, the style of the shower was probably dictated by whoever built it. Perhaps the owner preferred privacy, perhaps the architect had been paid by the company that builds lucite dividers, or perhaps they just copied a standard design/layout from a book.

6. D_Shermie Shtoinkle

D_Shermie Shtoinkle New Member

I agree that there must have been a reason for the showers to be designed the way they were at some stage, but I do feel that the UK is the country of the towel dancers ever so amusing at times.

7. chrisp1976

chrisp1976 New Member

Was it a fitness first? they all look the same

8. B_nyvin

B_nyvin New Member

individual cubicles give a feeling of self-importance and elitism. You will feel much more like your a rich snob who has his own shower rather then joining the commoners in the open shower space.

9. buzzrider7

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Yes, I believe that book was referred to in another thread here somewhere. It's called "Gym Facilities Designed to Thwart Homosexing - An Architect's Guide"

10. AG08

Gold Member

Yet it is more conducive to inappropriate sexual behaviour between men than an open shower. Ironic, isn't it?

11. AG08

Gold Member

This is why I always check out the locker room/shower before joining a gym. In my experience, the more privacy that is offered at a gym, the less friendly the gym.

12. Charles Finn

Gold Member

Albums:
    yes kids Victoria is alive and well
    you must not be naked
    eeek a naked man
    leads to love and bad things like that
    we are all born naked all the rest is drag
    it took most of my friends a long to get used to the idea of my being a nudest since about 8 years old
    i have always hated clothes and i always will
    being naked is not about sex
    it may or may not lead to sex but once you get used to being naked and naked around others you learn to accept yourself as you are flaws and all
    you learn that there are others like you and even if they prefer clothes to being naked we are all born naked.
    i have been naked around all walks of adults from butch Lesbian to fem queen.
    being naked feels great you are not ashamed of who you are
    the mask falls off and you can finally be who and what you are.
    again for me being naked is about not being ashamed of who and what you are
    i dress up very well when I have to
    but I will always be naked whenever I can be
    and that is home now for the most part
    the reason i went to the baths when i did was to be naked
    the sex was great but it was better to just be naked with a bunch of other guys
    and even in some rare cases female.
    when you grow up naked like I did you learn true freedom the freedom to be judged by who you are not what you wear.

13. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

Commonplace in UK gyms.

14. D_Wilburforce Throttlebottom

On most of the Mil bases I have been on its still open showers the same at the university I go to. But I also have private gym membership with all the bells and whistles that has individual shower stalls with their own toweling off area.

Maybe its because i'm getting older or because I want to be a rich snob as someone put it but I prefer the private club with its closed off showers.

15. B_thickjohnny

B_thickjohnny New Member

Most gyms in Prague had open gang style showers but recently I've seen western style gyms, owned and operated by UK companies come to town. The showers are closed cubicles - like a small changing room with barely enough room to move around. Frosted glass walls and a frosted glass door.

Another had glass walls but no door all lined against one wall so you could not see anyone showering unless you walked past them.

I personally prefer the older gyms with the open showers.

16. SirConcis

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think that open showers are perhaps less "sexual" than closed ones. Men are perhaps more likely to "wash their penis extensively" in closed shower stalls than in an open shower setting.

Draft saved Draft deleted