Platinum Gold
Media

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes I read that too dreamer.

Nonetheless I am appalled that Moammar Kadafi has embraced both the subject individual and the situation so overtly. It's a direct middle finger to the West.

D_Kissimmee Coldsore

Experimental Member
Media
I doubt many people would bother to look at the evidence when they can believe the mass produced hype surrounding him instead (some believe him to be guilty, some believe him to be innocent).

The only thing I do know is that if his retrial came about a lot of information that both the UK and US government would prefer to be kept secret would come out into the open. Whether this exonorates or convicts him we will now never know.
And therein lies my unease with the decision. They didn't offer him this on grounds of compassion, people! It was to make him drop the appeal. In my view his conviction was flawed and many people in this thread might do well to read about the case in depth from all angles instead of the kneejerk horror that the US media in particular has shown. A relative of one of those killed was on the news yesterday and said as much herself.

JonnyEdin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I suspect we might not know the whole story of this for some time. Having met Kenny MacAskill I can say that the idea he might release someone on compassionate grounds is plausible - he describes himself as "liberal presbyterian" and has a distinctly biblical turn of phrase. Then again he loves annoying Westminster and I suspect this has... unless it's all a conspiracy to get our hands on Libyan oil. Hmm.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
And therein lies my unease with the decision. They didn't offer him this on grounds of compassion, people! It was to make him drop the appeal. In my view his conviction was flawed and many people in this thread might do well to read about the case in depth from all angles instead of the kneejerk horror that the US media in particular has shown. A relative of one of those killed was on the news yesterday and said as much herself.

If you can give me some examples of something to read I would appreciate it. I have been following this case from the time it happened to when the Libyan government refused to turn over the two suspects for trial, and to when Libya took responsibility for the bombing and paid the victims families. The issue raised by the defense attorney that there had been a breach in security at the airport in London was never proven.(If it has been I have not read it)
I really would like to read more if you have some suggestions.
Thank you.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Compassion for murderers ????.

Yes, like it or not he is still human, is it not compassion that sees now less states with death penalties?

Why should we show compassion to a guy that like Nj said murdered 300 innocent people in cold blood. Personally I think sitting in prison till he dies is too good a punishment, but he shouldnt get out because he's got cancer or w/e.

And heres a thought, he knows he's dying, so what if he decides to go out with a bang instead of dying a slow death, how many people are gonna die in that?
It is not within american judicial practices to exercise compassion in the way that the Scottish incorporate it. The 'mercy' exists and been used in conjunction with the rules, Megrahi has met the criteria to be eligible for compassionate leave and he has been 'released to die' not simply released.

Cynical but plausible, he has ALWAYS maintained his innocence and so i expect if he had any integrity he would'nt turn around and blow himself up but if he did then it would just go to show how evil men can be and is no reflection on the rights or wrongs of scottish justice as they are not responsible for the actions of individuals.

Yes I read that too dreamer.

Nonetheless I am appalled that Moammar Kadafi has embraced both the subject individual and the situation so overtly. It's a direct middle finger to the West.

This is the very thing which is causing anger here more than the release, we know that compassionate grounds is within the legal practice and it is not such a big deal but the way that the Libyan people are reacting is contemptable.

Sheds a whole new light if true:
Lockerbie bomber's release linked to trade deal, claims Gaddafi's son

Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s son, Saif, claimed the release of the Lockerbie bomber, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi, was linked to trade deals between Britain and Libya.

Lockerbie bomber's release linked to trade deal, claims Gaddafi's son - Telegraph

I honestly would'nt be surprised, i have little faith that ANY government is without corruption, not ours, not yours, not any.

Yes, like it or not he is still human, is it not compassion that sees now less states with death penalties?

It is not within american judicial practices to exercise compassion in the way that the Scottish incorporate it. The 'mercy' exists and been used in conjunction with the rules, Megrahi has met the criteria to be eligible for compassionate leave and he has been 'released to die' not simply released.

Cynical but plausible, he has ALWAYS maintained his innocence and so i expect if he had any integrity he would'nt turn around and blow himself up but if he did then it would just go to show how evil men can be and is no reflection on the rights or wrongs of scottish justice as they are not responsible for the actions of individuals.

This is the very thing which is causing anger here more than the release, we know that compassionate grounds is within the legal practice and it is not such a big deal but the way that the Libyan people are reacting is contemptable.

I honestly would'nt be surprised, i have little faith that ANY government is without corruption, not ours, not yours, not any.

Well Mitch, you're bending over backward here to be an apologist for Scotland so I have to ask, do you really believe there's a basis for compassion or do you see it as your final paragraph asks? You've said he should be released on compassionate grounds, then on grounds his trial was flawed, and now you say it wouldn't surprise you if there was a financial motive. I've seen it speculated in the British press that this was a way for Scotland to flip the bird to Westminster, embarrassing it with its staunchest ally (the US).

It seems you're defending this decision without any other consideration and that bothers me. Could you explain how you came to believe as you do?

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well Mitch, you're bending over backward here to be an apologist for Scotland so I have to ask, do you really believe there's a basis for compassion or do you see it as your final paragraph asks? You've said he should be released on compassionate grounds, then on grounds his trial was flawed, and now you say it wouldn't surprise you if there was a financial motive. I've seen it speculated in the British press that this was a way for Scotland to flip the bird to Westminster, embarrassing it with its staunchest ally (the US).

It seems you're defending this decision without any other consideration and that bothers me. Could you explain how you came to believe as you do?

I believe that compassion is a virtue and i am a compassionate person. I am not however a forgiving person over such harmful issues so i just wanted to be clear on that. I am not bending over backwards to apologise for Scotland for they have done nothing wrong in showing compassion in accordance with what i believe, it is all a subjective thing as to whether you support their decision but it IS THEIR decision and it is that which i defend.

I personally have not claimed the trial was flawed....ever, i merely pointed out that he claimed to be innocent, other posters have made those claims based on what would be supposedly significant evidence enough to fuel conspiracy theory, i have no such knowledge so have not mentioned in any post such ideas.

I trust governments very little on the basis that where there is power there is corruption. I believe the decision to be the right one but admit the potential that he would never have been released had there not been an ulterior motive, not to say that i am claiming a conspiracy theory but its possible. In the end governments have a way of manipulating things so even when they appear to be doing the right thing it can easily be to their benefit as we never truly know what goes on behind the scenes.

Is there a specific consideration which you think i may have not considered? I have come to my opinion based on how i feel about the situation and without bias.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Qaddafi Praises Britain Over Lockerbie Release
LONDON — Already badly shaken by American outrage and opprobrium over the release of the convicted Lockerbie airliner bomber, the British government faced fresh embarrassment on Saturday after the Libyan leader, Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi, met with the newly liberated prisoner in Tripoli and thanked Prime Minister Gordon Brown of Britain, “my friend,” for interceding with the Scottish government to let the man go. Colonel Qaddafi made his remarks as British and Scottish officials were doing their best to distance themselves from Mr. Megrahi’s release, which they insisted was decided without any pressure from London by Scotland’s justice secretary, and based solely on compassion for Mr. Megrahi’s terminal cancer, not Britain’s desire for multibillion-dollar Libyan oil contracts.

The Scottish government also faced fresh criticism from the United States, with the F.B.I. director, Robert S. Mueller III, condemning the release as being “as inexplicable as it is detrimental to the cause of justice.”[/
IMHO - When Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi congratulates you on a job well done. You have just made a monumental mistake. :yup:

QwentyJ1987

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Anyone seen that botcottscotland.com? Careful, otherwise we'll set aboot ya'!

I don't agree with the release at all on compassionate grounds, but I get the feeling that the orginal sentence was convicted with somewhat skeptical evidence. Meh, it's tricky.

The Times is reporting on two leaked memos which confirm that al-Megrahi was not released for compassionate reasons at all, but as part of a £15 billion British Petroleum oil deal. Apparently Jack Straw tried to keep al-Megrahi out of the deal but Libya insisted that any BP-Libya deal had to include al-Megrahi's release. With that, Straw collapsed like an MP's cheap lawn chair purchased with taxpayer money. Per a letter from Straw to Kenny MacAskill dated December 19, 2007:
"I had previously accepted the importance of the al-Megrahi issue to Scotland and said I would try to get an exclusion for him on the face of the agreement. I have not been able to secure an explicit exclusion. “The wider negotiations with the Libyans are reaching a critical stage and, in view of the overwhelming interests for the United Kingdom, I have agreed that in this instance the [prisoner transfer agreement] should be in the standard form and not mention any individual.”
The article continues:

Within six weeks of the government climbdown, Libya had ratified the BP deal. The prisoner transfer agreement was finalised in May this year, leading to Libya formally applying for Megrahi to be transferred to its custody.

Saif Gadaffi, the colonel’s son, has insisted that negotiation over the release of Megrahi was linked with the BP oil deal: “The fight to get the [transfer] agreement lasted a long time and was very political, but I want to make clear that we didn’t mention Mr Megrahi.

“At all times we talked about the [prisoner transfer agreement]. It was obvious we were talking about him. We all knew that was what we were talking about.-The Times
Let's see...... that comes to £55,555,555.56 in blood money per victim killed in the terrorist attack. That's a much better deal than the families of the victims got from Libya which was a mere US$10 million per family. Libya makes a very tidy profit on this deal.

And none of it could have happened without the support of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

I know many times I've repeated the maxim, nations always act in what they believe to be their best interest, but this is so blatant that it's shocking. My regard for Mr. Brown has just nearly reached the same level I have for Shrub Jr.

mitchymo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The Times is reporting on two leaked memos which confirm that al-Megrahi was not released for compassionate reasons at all, but as part of a £15 billion British Petroleum oil deal.

The Times? Which times? New York? London? Both?

The London Times vehemently disagrees with the Scottish decision to release on compassionate grounds and is strirring the pot with this 'leak'. Even the opposition government here in the UK are saying that the leaks paint a picture which is jaded because the memos do not tell a whole story.

Britain was involved in oil deals with Libya at the time and it may well have been discussed by Jack Straw and counterpart that Al Megrahi's release could be tied into the deal, this is very manipulative on Jack Straw's part if that is the case but the Scottish government made the choice and they clearly refused a prisoner transfer request.

The decision was made on compassionate grounds in accordance with scottish law and was not influenced by the UK government. The Times are so against the decision that their scepticism is portraying an alterior motive.

Now aside of the fact that this theory could be true, it is possible, governments can be corrupt i have said before, the end result is still the same when questioning compassionate release. Many disagree with the idea of allowing anyone a release on such grounds but unlike the Times which you refer to, The Times of Ireland and The Times of India both support the idea of release on such grounds as does Nelson Mandela.

It makes a great story for the paper but it is untrue to suggest that the evidence they have confirms that something other was responsible for the final decision.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Let's see...... that comes to £55,555,555.56 in blood money per victim killed in the terrorist attack. That's a much better deal than the families of the victims got from Libya which was a mere US$10 million per family. Libya makes a very tidy profit on this deal.

What you call a "mere" sum was actually the huge sum of $10,000,000 per victim paid in compensation by Libya.

Libya agrees Lockerbie compensation payout | UK news | guardian.co.uk

A most satisfactory sum when compared with the paltry $500 -$2,500 which the U.S.A. considered suitable compensation as "condolence payments" per victim of the U.S. forces murderous misdeeds in Iraq.

The Price of Loss: How the West values civilian lives in Iraq :: Iraq Body Count

Memorial Day Special...Winter Soldier on the Hill: War Vets Testify Before Congress

I thought he'd disappeared?

Wrong decision to release him, imo - but done now.

Frnkd213

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

Hoss

Loved Member
Media