London Terrorist Attacks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tightfit, Jul 7, 2005.

1. tightfit

tightfit New Member

Just had to say that we are in shock here in the UK.
    Dreadful terrorist attacks in London today.
    It's just awful.

2. Freddie53

Gold Member

Tightfit,
    A note to let you say we care and we know how vulnerable these kinds of things make us feel. But I have studied history and know the the Brits have the strongest character and boldness to get through anything.

Our prays are with you.

Freddie

3. txquis

Gold Member

I had UK friends with me in NYC during the 9/11 attacks,
    and now I stand firmly beside them (in spirit) during their own crisis.
    They are one strong group of people, and I admire the way they are
    handling this.

4. DanielForever

DanielForever New Member

Tony Blair gave a vevry moving speech at about 11:30, when I woke up to the news this morning, at thayt time it was just one train, they thought it was an accident.
    Even Bush had something powerful to say, while Blairs speech was saying how it would never happen again and how the strength of the nation could see us through the Disater, Bush (although he ment well) kind of used it to plug hiw war on terror and bring up revenge.

I have Northern Ireish friends here, whenever somehting terrible happens or has happened, its always made them feel uncomfortable, but i think now the blame has been put squarely on Muslim fundimentalists, which will cause so much trouble, I dont think white british and british muslim relations have been too close recently.

This in no 9/11, 50 people have died and the baricades will probably be put back up (up till 2002, following IRA (Irish Republic Army ((terrorist group))), central london had baricades around Liverpool street- the banking street, were the first train-bomb went off), but this is nothing like what happened in New York,

Im most serprised that it happened in London while the 8 most powerful leaders in the world are safely in Glem...s in Scotland- this means that it isn't a political attack surely, it only attacked innocent tourists and commuters

5. db03

db03 Member

I bet they wanted to do it yesterday to coincide with the olympic announcement but couldnt, so they did it today...

BASTARDS..

They'll get whats coming to them...

6. hippyscum

hippyscum New Member

when you think about it, the attack was perfectly timed as far as the masterminds were concerned. 11,000 police officers are currently busy at Gleneagles (15 miles down the road from me) protecting the G8 summit, the city was somewhat euphoric since the announcement of the successful olympic bid yesterday and al qaeda have been out of the spotlight just long enough to be forgotten about and commit these horrific attacks.
    as if the riots happening just 10 minutes walk from my house weren't bad enough, this has just happened... i think i've just completely lost my faith in humanity.
    with 37 dead so far i think we can just be glad it wasn't much worse considering the centre of the largest city in europe was bombed.
    good luck to all of those in london.

7. BlastOff123

BlastOff123 New Member

This event is so terrible, unecessary, evil. The civilized people of the world will stand with England. This is an attack on civilization by a pitiful group of people -- repressed, fundamentalist Muslims. On another thread there is an attack on Christians for repressing sexuality. Well, these Islamic fascists want to repress the entire world to their stone age mentality -- and damn it, they'll cut your head off if you don't like it!! I pray that this event serves some good: to unite the free people of the world into totally wiping these scum off the face of the earth. Total war, using ANY technology available is the only way this problem will be solved. I am NOT suggesting eliminating all Muslims, just the evil, fundamentalists. Get rid of them all -- every man, woman and child. No mercy. Level every mosque in London, Berlin, Paris, New York, Washington.

Glad to get that off my chest!

8. blasian

blasian New Member

My condolences to the 37 (currently) killed and over 700 injured. My mom called me in a panic this morning because her mother (and some other family) lives in London, and my grandmother works near Hyde Park. Luckily, Londoners are defiantly stoic; they are tough people and will see through this. Best wishes from the U.S.

9. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    actually, I'm willing to bet that what with the mass panic and lockdown, fewer people have died in london today than on any OTHER day so far this year.

and yeah, ain't it lucky that all our police officers were up in scotland guarding a handful of rich and powerful politicians :eyes:

10. D_Coyne Toss

D_Coyne Toss New Member

To all our British friends: an Italian herat is crying with yours, and my prayers and mourns will get to our Lord.

My country proudly stands against terror, but now is the moment of sorrow for all the lives wiped by those devilish attack.

Only united we will stand.

With all my heart.

11. Simon9

Simon9 Active Member

The continued existence of Al Quieda and like-minded organizations demonstrates that insanity is indeed contagious.

Should these sorts of attacks upon the innocents of civilized societies continue by these outsiders (and I believe they will -- though I hope I'm wrong), the backlash could get very ugly. Let us not forget that according to some demographic projections, at current birthrates of Islamic immigrants, Europe will have more people of Middle Eastern Islamic descent than native Europeans by 2050. At that point, they will control the vote and therefore the govts and therefore the culture.

Picture Europe with an Islamic mentality. Kiss all the pretty churches goodbye. Infidels are second-class citizens (when tolerated at all). And being gay will probably get you killed.

12. jay_too

jay_too New Member

The problem is not Islam but fundamentalism.

Using the above as a template: Picture Europe with a Fundamentalist mentality. Kiss all the pretty statues goodbye. Non-fundies are second-class citizens (when tolerated at all.) And being gay will probably get you killed or concentrated in special "places."

I am not excusing yesterday's barbarism; on 7-7 the world again shared the pain of a senseless act.

jay

13. naughty

Gold Member

HI,

I would just like to add my voice to the support being given to our friends in the UK. Your country "had our backs" at a terrible time (911) and for that we will be forever grateful. I will be praying for the families of those lost and injured. This whole rash of bombings just renders me almost impotent with rage. There is no way anyone should put the name of God in anything resembling this type of continuous and unrelenting insanity.

Naughty

14. Max

Max New Member

Naughty (and others!)

Thank you. As I reckon I must be the Londoner who's been around lpsg.org longest, maybe I could respond to these generous thoughts and prayers. They mean a lot.

They hit at least three crowded underground trains just about at the end of the morning rush hour, and then a double-decker bus crowded with people forced out of the tube system (which had been shut down very quickly). The death toll is likely to be in the region of 50, maybe a few more, as they are still digging the bodies out in one case (the only deep line tube to have been hit). Any such senseless killing is of course appalling, but it could have been so much worse, and anyone with any knowledge of the London tube would have expected it to be so. In one sense it would be wrong to make too much of what has happened; it would merely give the perpetrators their satisfaction.

On Wednesday we had the Red Arrows screaming above us in their fly past trailing red white and blue to celebrate the award of the 2012 Olympics (and a lot of us felt good about it, despite Dr Rock); yesterday wherever you were in inner London it seemed all you could hear were the sirens of ambulances and fire engines. What a contrast.

London and Londoners seem to function better when the pressure is on; as has been pretty convincingly demonstrated more than once. It certainly wasn't "mass panic", nothing like that at all. We won't react by 'taking out' any mosques etc, or by calling for the death penalty (either would be complete defeat so far as I am concerned), but our reaction still won't give an inch.

15. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    One of the few things that cheered me in the hours and days after the 9/11 attacks was the overwhelming support that poured in from around the globe. The civilized world closed ranks in a heartwarming (and all too rare) show of unity, and we saw people worldwide saying, in essence, "We are all Americans today." So I just wanted to say to our British friends that we are all Britons today, and our thoughts and condolences are with you. London is a phenomenal and resilient city, and just as New York has done it will reaffirm its greatness by bouncing back to be more robust and vibrant than ever.

Steve

16. bartonside

bartonside New Member

The warmth and compassion of the reactions to Thursday's dreadful events is most touching. I don't live in London but go there quite often. Had I been there at that time on Thursday, happily I would not have been affected although travelling home again would have been difficult.

The point was made in a recent television series that, despite what Bush and Rumsfeld would have you believe, al-Qaeda is not a carefully coordinated and controlled terrorist network but a series of small cells which strike largely on their own intiative and not when Osama bin Laden tells them. If al-Qaeda is really serious about destabilising Western society then they would commit these acts again and again and again. If they struck in London every two or three days and, at the same time, spread their net to include Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Plymouth and so on and struck frequently, then there would be widepsread panic and civil unrest. These are gesture attacks, no matter how unpleasant. We were told that London would be targetted sooner or later - now it's happened, will it happen again? Time will tell, I am afraid, and I think it will.

17. Inter Ested

Inter Ested Member

Today there was a headline in Germany's most important magazine "der spiegel": "cool britannia". I think that's the right reaction: not to be terrified by the terrosists. let's stay calm and fight them.

greetings to london

inter

18. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Albums:
    BlastOff is right. Sugar coating this as just the work of fundamentalists is PC
    thinking at its most naive. I'm Aussie, and the muslim mentality, terrorist or not, is
    barbarous and backward. A muslim in Sydney said any woman who dresses like a slut
    (a slut in their minds) deserves to be raped. There was a huge outcry and he back-peddled the next day and said "Well I didnt say deserved to be raped i meant they bring it upon themselves" which is saying the same thing. A government official warned
    him but he wasn't charged or anything. If a white guy came out and said "Hey, any
    muslim who dresses like an arab at a baghdad market place should be bashed to death"
    - he would be charged with inciting racial hatred. Maybe not many Muslims are terrorists, but a lot more sympathize with them than people want to admit. Its time to do away with their sensitivities and start putting national security first.

19. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

I've been catching small clips of this, and let me tell you; I haven't seen anything of this magitude since 9/11. My heart goes out to all the British people and their country. You will prevail in all this, and right the wrongs commited on you.

That's from one yank who emphathizes with you and prays that god will watch over you.

20. dolf250

dolf250 New Member

First off I would like to extend my sympathies to those in England. What happened was truly and act of cowardice. To plant a bomb and walk away to let it kill indiscriminately is the very definition of a coward.

I think that that was probably the point- they upstaged a meeting of men who are arguably the most powerful men in the world with some explosive and wire. I think they wanted to taint the meetings and any good that came out of them. You have to admit that the headlines saying that the leaders promised more aid to Africa (and this time even committed their names) did not matter nearly as much as what a group of radicals managed to pull off.
    <!--QuoteBegin-bartonside
    @Jul 8 2005, 09:42 PM
    ...If al-Qaeda is really serious about destabilising Western society then they would commit these acts again and again and again. If they struck in London every two or three days and, at the same time, spread their net to include Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Bristol, Plymouth and so on and struck frequently, then there would be widepsread panic and civil unrest.
    [post=327702]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/quote]
    I could not disagree more. Though I think that modern living (the creature comforts that we all enjoy) has softened us a little, when it comes right down to it we all still have it in us to show the defiant spirit that was shown in WWII. Both the English as well as the Germans were bombed night after night (and the bombs would do a lot more damage than these latest ones) and still they continued on. They went to work and rebuilt and cleaned up the mess from the previous night even while the fires raged on. I think that terror could become a daily occurrence and yet the people of England, America, Spain or Canada could continue on with life. It would undoubtedly change- but I do not think that there would be widespread panic and civil unrest.

I am glad to see the quiet resolve of the nation that was affected. Though I only get to see it through the lens of a news camera after the editing, it still shows a nation that will persevere no matter what is thrown at it. History has shown her coming though tough times and I have no doubt that a country with her past will prevail against this newest threat.

Draft saved Draft deleted