London travel advice

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by TomCat84, Mar 26, 2010.

1. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    So this question goes out to everybody who can contribute. There's a good chance that I will be traveling to jolly old England over the summer, possibly London Pride weekend (which I believe is coterminous with 4th of July weekend). I need advice from folks who live there or visit frequently. For a gay dude, wheres the best area to look for hotels? It doesnt have to be in the gay area if it isnt going to be a reasonable price- but at least close to public transit. I'm looking to blow off some steam before I enter law school in the fall. I've done some research on my own, but if folks who know the city could direct me even closer, that would be fantastic. Also interested in Manchester or Birmingham. And if anybody wants to meet up for a beer or two when I'm there, I wouldn't object. :cool:

2. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

Depends what you want. The hussle and bussle or the "quiet life". Most of London, imo, is fairly tolerant of gays. Depends how much you flout it about. Public transport is pretty much everywhere. Buses come every "9-12" minutes and transport for london has a great page which can plan your journeys. Called the journey planner no less!

I cant really help on places exactly, but London is better than Manchester or Birmingham. Both have annoying accents :p

3. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    I visited London as a 15 yr old- and waitresses would stop and stare at me when I would ask where the bathroom was. HAHA

4. duneboy

duneboy New Member

Sounds like you want the Soho area. You can go on line and find private companies which will help you. The Tube and other transportation is good unless they go on strike. I am not sure why you want to go to Manchester and Birmingham there is a lot to see in London. You may wnat to get a Brit Pass and use London as your hub. If you have not been there before I would take a city bus tour to give you some idea of what is there. Great theater and night life. Cheers don't be afraid to chat any body up you will find most people very friendly.

5. safetyfirst

safetyfirst Active Member

If you want to stay near the action but also near the underground etc then look for a hotel in Bloomsbury, it is only about a 10 min walk to Soho and the rates are quite decent. It is also handy for everything in the west end, shopping, museums, bars etc. If you want more info then send me a messge. I travel there quite a lot.

6. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

If you're staying in London, anywhere in the central area will work quite well for you - unless you specifically want to stay in a gaybourhood such as Soho. Certainly try and get a hotel near a tube station as this is a popular and convenient method of transport - also think about buying an Oyster card which speeds up the tube-travelling process (you can even buy it before you travel if you want to). I always use TripAdvisor before booking any hotel to see other travellers reviews.

A bus tour is a great way to see a lot of the tourist attractions in a short space of time (presuming you want to do this). You can also buy some really cheap tickets for many of the big shows such as Wicked, Priscilla Queen of the Desert and so on.

It really depends on what you want to do while you are visiting - make use of google as their are plenty of websites full to the brim with things to do and reviews of attractions. London is a fun city, you'll have a great time.

Personally Manchester and Birmingham are nice, but you'll find plenty to do in LDN.

7. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    Would be nice to meet up with a few London folks from here if possible. I dont wanna be the lonely boy in the corner of the pub :)

8. Viking_UK

Gold Member

A lot of it depends on your budget. Bloomsbury's pretty good though, fairly central with good transport links and reasonable hotels. If you're looking for something a little cheaper, you could look outside the central zone. Journey times are fairly reasonable, and the night bus network is pretty good if you're staying out late.

Most of the Manchester scene is centred around Canal Street. There are plenty of reasonable hotels in the area.

9. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I am guessing, OP, that you are a fan of Queer as Folk.

Manchester is great fun, only two hours and a bit on a train out of Euston, but if you want to see any decent football (soccer), you'll need to head west down the M62 :wink:.

There could be some cricket on at Lords, but then you might be more interested in the Tennis at Queens :tongue:.

10. B_stanmarsh14

B_stanmarsh14 New Member

11. Jason

Gold Member

Brighton has a gay quarter, and the sea - and is quirky. It is just an hour from London by train and well worth a visit. Manchester has Canal Street and is an interesting city, but not the most obvious city for tourists to visit. Pretty much ditto Birmingham. If you are staying in the centre of London remember a lot of the UK is in day trip distance (by train). York, Canterbury, Bath, Oxford, Cambridge, Portsmouth, even at a pinch Edinburgh. Stonehenge is best reached on an organised trip (unless you are hiring a car). The snag is that rail costs can add up quickly - you might want to consider some sort of rail pass. If you are on a budget there is a terrific lot in the London area and long distance buses are cheaper than rail and reasonably fast. Oxford and Canterbury are routes where the bus is a good option.

12. tomthelad91

tomthelad91 New Member

Glares ¬_¬

13. tomthelad91

tomthelad91 New Member

Half the people in Central London are tourists, and the locals put on a show. It's all a bit fake, they really over do the 'British' Factor, if that makes sense, London's great, but make sure you visit somewhere else too :)

Bham and Manchester are the 2nd & 3rd biggest cities, so I'd choose one of them, if not both. Both are very nice.

Birmingham's lovely. Although I am biased. Tourists don't usually come here, so it's more genuine. Birmingham has a very large & thriving Gay Village which is concentrated on a few streets, so it's very lively. Plenty of people I know travel from quite far for it. Birmingham's pride isn't so big, but it's always popular, but it's 8-13 June.

Stratford is practically a suburb of Birmingham too, it's well worth a visit, the theatre, the riverside, the shows, it's a really nice day out, especially in the summer. Nothing beats renting a row boat and then having a few beers in the Pub. It's really quaint and historical, it does get a full of Americans at times though.

Brighton is a MUST. Go To Britain!

In terms of London, My secret hotel is Travelodge Docklands. It's a bit far out, but it's literally RIGHT next to East India DLR station, and you can be in the City in 15 minutes. Because of it's location it's so cheap! Like, £40 a night.

Draft saved Draft deleted