Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I get lonely at times, but right now I'm okay. I'm cool during the night hours. It's during the day when all of the other commotion is going on in the world when I really see those moments when I don't have anyone to talk to.

I'm the opposite, i'm ok during the day its at night i get lonley. Were the same but opposite dude

Capitolhillguy

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can't deal with the stress of having a boyfriend. What I have created in my life is to have several guys who I get together with who, taken as a composite, make a boyfriend. One I am affectinate with, one I make out with, several I blow, and one I trade massages with. I also had problems with loneliness after loosing 27 friends to HIV during the plague. I place ads on Craigslist personals for friends with some success and got involved in some social/hobby clubs. It works for me and I am rarely lonely.

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Americans and their need to feel that they have so many friends at their side! Our culture indeed has an aversion to solitude and "keeping to one's self" as opposed to Asian cultures, where being healthily solace carries a sense of deep respect. Sadly, North Americans look hopelessly clueless as to how such a lifestyle could dare to be normal, let alone salubrious. And so the perceived loner continues to live with the fervent scold, "Get out there and make some friends!"

When a man commits an awful crime, the first thing the media likes to point out -if they can - is how isolated of a life he has lived, or his "lack of friends". But I must say that the Desert Dwellers were anything but psychopaths!

I'm not opposed to making friends because having one can be a beautiful thing. But the more important or fundamental question here is, "What is a friend?" And from that comes a series of questions: Are they really that common? Are the words friend and acquaintance used synonymously in this culture? Do we not make a distinction between the two?

Finally, any Buddhist or Catholic monk will tell you that it's necessary to be lonely and really feel it and accept it while on a path to enlightenment.

A word from the wise: "Many an acquaintance and I know myself not.":eek:

Peace and love to you "lonely folk.":smile:

The Buddhist and Catholic monks are alone together. How many times do you see a buddhist monk walking alone? they normally walk in pairs or a group. They also have their strength in their gods, so they do not consider themselves to be alone.

As far as this being only an American phenomena, no. Think about everyone going to the pubs after work on Friday in London. What is important to an Aussie, his mates. The Japanese and their Karaoke bars.

Being with people and not being alone is global.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
well,i do have friends and i share everything with them....
but,i am alone,cause i don`t have a person i love with all my heart and i`d die for :(
I know that this sounds pathetic...but...thats how i feel :)

B_Castello

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
In french we say that it is better to be lonely then not been well accompagny (does'nt it make sense in english?)

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
The Buddhist and Catholic monks are alone together. How many times do you see a buddhist monk walking alone? they normally walk in pairs or a group. They also have their strength in their gods, so they do not consider themselves to be alone.

As far as this being only an American phenomena, no. Think about everyone going to the pubs after work on Friday in London. What is important to an Aussie, his mates. The Japanese and their Karaoke bars.

Being with people and not being alone is global.

You really misread my post, friend. Please re-read.:smile:

hud01

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
In french we say that it is better to be lonely then not been well accompagny (does'nt it make sense in english?)

I think a close one is it is better to be alone for the right reasons, then to be with someone for the wrong reasons.

widenine

Experimental Member
Media
Americans and their need to feel that they have so many friends at their side! Our culture indeed has an aversion to solitude and "keeping to one's self" as opposed to Asian cultures, where being healthily solace carries a sense of deep respect. Sadly, North Americans look hopelessly clueless as to how such a lifestyle could dare to be normal, let alone salubrious. And so the perceived loner continues to live with the fervent scold, "Get out there and make some friends!"

When a man commits an awful crime, the first thing the media likes to point out -if they can - is how isolated of a life he has lived, or his "lack of friends". But I must say that the Desert Dwellers were anything but psychopaths!

I'm not opposed to making friends because having one can be a beautiful thing. But the more important or fundamental question here is, "What is a friend?" And from that comes a series of questions: Are they really that common? Are the words friend and acquaintance used synonymously in this culture? Do we not make a distinction between the two?

Finally, any Buddhist or Catholic monk will tell you that it's necessary to be lonely and really feel it and accept it while on a path to enlightenment.

A word from the wise: "Many an acquaintance and I know myself not.":eek:

Peace and love to you "lonely folk.":smile:
You and I are oceans apart in our thinking... mainly because I'm from an extremely large and dramatic extended family. Just the same, I enjoyed reading your position and truly understand the merits of finding yourself in peaceful solitude with no fear of being labeled unusual. My fear is that a person who is so independent of others could be perceived as useless... to those who depend on others to boost their ego or validate their accomplishments. Many people need this on some level for sure.

Last edited:

NOINRI

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm alone, but I'm not lonely. I have this predisposition to being alone and some view it as lonely but I'm fine. It'd be nice if I didn't have this affinity for solitude but it's what I like unfortunately enough.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Noinri, I am a similar type. I need long periods of time alone and those who cause me to skimp on them will feel the consequences, one way or another, grrr.