long distance running tips

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by D_Fred Flintstones, Sep 3, 2011.

1. D_Fred Flintstones

D_Fred Flintstones New Member

im taking a fitness jump,

and obviously cardio is important, but you can run very far if the muscles in your legs cant take it, rite?

so i was wondering if anyone knows any tips to prolong the time you can run without any lactic acid buildup ?

and also cardio tips

obviously running is the answer but are there and repetition exercises that i can do indoors when i cant go for a run ?

help would be much appreciated thanks

also take a look at my pics tell me what you think lol :rolleyes:

2. B_625girth

B_625girth New Member

give up running. ride a bicycle. your hips, knees, ankles and feet will thank you for not beating them to death.

3. D_Fred Flintstones

D_Fred Flintstones New Member

4. Hansalami

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    To this there is only one answer: Run slower!
    If you run too fast for too long lactic acid will build up. So you race pace needs to be just right so you're not hindered by lactic acid.
    In training you should (almost always) stay well below the limit of lactic acid formation.

5. drjimmy25

drjimmy25 New Member

The only exercise to improve running is running. You can't prevent lactic acid from forming it is a by product of muscle contraction. To increase your endurance, you have to, over time, increase your running distance. Do you want to run 1 mile, 3 miles, 10 miles or a marathon? There are tons of programs to follow to work up to a desired goal. Work on distance rather than time/speed if you want to run distance.

6. runnerforlife

runnerforlife New Member

Albums:
    Drjimmy25 gives good advice. I've been running for 20 years..no joint problems. Be smart, don't over do it..if it hurts, stop. If you run every day your endurance will build rapidly. There are lots of good books on the subject..buy one and get informed. After a few months of running you won't believe what you see in the mirror. Oh yeah, don't forget to eat right too...diet and exercise go together.

7. D_Asston Kutcher

D_Asston Kutcher Account Disabled

If you can hold a conversation then you're not running hard enough.
    If you can barely breathe and you're muscles are filled with liquid fire then you're running too hard
    If you can barely talk are deeply breathing and you feel strained but not overly so then you are in a comfortable place.

Breathe.
    Breath deeply, and slightly increase the rate of your breath when and if you start to feel lactic acid build up. This will give you much needed energy and stave off the lactic...build up.

You can also follow this. It's called the couch to 5k program. I've followed it and it works.

Attached Files:

• C25k.jpg
      C25k.jpg
      File size:
      29.1 KB
      Views:
  8. kenny233

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I agree that following a training schedule can be beneficial. One of the most difficult things about training to distance run is setting a pace you can maintain over the distance or time you wish to run. I've been running for a long time, and I still experiment with eating different foods, in different amounts, for fuel before an endurance run. I think making good choices on the foods you eat makes a big difference on how you feel for a long distance run.

Other tips - get a good pair of running shoes from a store where the employee looks at your feet and explains different shoe soles to you. I remember how much better I felt after I started buying better shoes. Also, like runnerforlife mentioned, don't keep pushing yourself if you really hurt. You should strive to increase your distance or times, but be gradual and consistent with that. As for other cardio, I like jumping rope or riding my bike on the trainer at a fast cadence for cardio when I can't go run.

Best luck with your running

9. steeler_999

steeler_999 Member

One very common approach to training is to vary the distances and speed over the course of a week.

One day a week go a relatively long distance at a relatively slow pace.

Go a medium distance at a medium pace several times per week.

One day a week do a quarter mile several times, as fast as you can possibly move, resting briefly between each interval.

And at least one day a week run on some hilly terrain so that you're going up hill at least part of the time.

After several months of building up some endurance and speed, try entering a 5 kilometer race. Most races attract people of all different levels of fitness, and you can pace yourself by trying to keep up with someone who is running just a little bit faster than what you would be doing if you were running alone.

Draft saved Draft deleted