Longest Unsuccessful Relationship

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Imported, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Imported

Gold Member

hung_big: So...how long have each of you gone in a relationship that turned out to not be successful? I would exclude marriages with devorce, but I guess that counts.

One thing I will say is, no widows-by-death (your spouse dieing), because who knows how long that could have gone.

Mine would have been with my ex for 10 months (girl)

2. Altairion

Gold Member

Albums:
    My longest so far has only been 4 months.... Currently working on starting another one up though

3. Imported

Gold Member

hung_big: Good luck with that Altarion :)

4. Imported

Gold Member

DieHard9x6: Over 4 years, here. Only relationship I've had that ended against my will, lol. I certainly wound up better off in the end, but I'll tell ya, I was miserable for months.

5. kinggalaxia

kinggalaxia Member

Albums:
    My only relationship lasted just over a month :-(

Currently in a long-distance one, tho....and I'm very hopeful for it too :D

6. naughty

Gold Member

Twelve years...

Definitely will not do that again .Dont have the time.....

Naughty

7. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

2 years. And it was emotionally over by month 8.

Word to the wise. Do not ever move in quickly with someone you start dating. Its a total relationship killer.

8. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

20 years.

Don't ever try to convince yourself to stay "for the children," regardless of what Dr. Laura says.

9. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    how do you mean "turned out not to be successful?" any relationship which works is by definition successful, up until it stops working - and they all stop working sooner or later - and then it ends. once one or both parties have gotten everything they can out of it, what's the point prolonging it? you can't have a relationship unless both of you are actually interested, surely.

if you mean relationships which are dysfunctional and unrewarding from the start, I've never had one, although I'm aware that a great many people seem to derive some perverse subconscious gratification from martyring themselves in that manner. I don't understand how it happens though.

10. txquis

Gold Member

It is clear to me he means dysfunctional,
    or a relationship that is not successful by virtue of the fact that it did not continue.
    Mine was 5 years.

11. oldbodybuilder2004

oldbodybuilder2004 New Member

Hi;
    In the early 70's I married a woman with three teenage kids. But once the kids were grown she didn't need a husband. I guess I was a fool not to have realized much sooner. No sex since.

12. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

dr. laura aint a doctor. she is a ho.

13. D_Barbi_Queue

D_Barbi_Queue Account Disabled

3 years for me. I broke his heart b/c I found someone else.
    *ducks from oncoming tomatoes*

14. Dr Rock

Gold Member

yeah well those are the 2 different things I was asking about. all relationships end once the impetus is exhausted, so how can anyone say that they had a relationship which was "unsuccessful" because it ended? they're SUPPOSED to end when there's nothing more to get from them; otherwise how would we move on and make room for new relationships?

if they enjoyed it, and their partner enjoyed it, then it was successful. surely nobody tries to maintain every friggin' relationship they have for the rest of their life. I have trouble finding enough time to maintain contact with 3 or 4 regular sex partners at any given time, and still leave room for casual fuck-and-forget encounters (which are just as important in terms of mental health). there aren't enough hours in the day or days in the week to include more than that, at least not for me.

15. dickbulge

dickbulge New Member

yeah well those are the 2 different things I was asking about. all relationships end once the impetus is exhausted, so how can anyone say that they had a relationship which was "unsuccessful" because it ended? they're SUPPOSED to end when there's nothing more to get from them; otherwise how would we move on and make room for new relationships?

if they enjoyed it, and their partner enjoyed it, then it was successful. surely nobody tries to maintain every friggin' relationship they have for the rest of their life. I have trouble finding enough time to maintain contact with 3 or 4 regular sex partners at any given time, and still leave room for casual fuck-and-forget encounters (which are just as important in terms of mental health). there aren't enough hours in the day or days in the week to include more than that, at least not for me.
    [post=290804]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Rock, I understand what you are saying and I usually appreciate your non-sentimental approach to relationships, but this time I think your're being a little too cynical.

Do friendships eventualy disentigrate? Does your relationship to your parents or syblings run out of steam so you can "move on"? When you take a partner/lover the relationship is no more preordained to end than a friendship is doomed or a family to break up. The relationship is going to change, maybe for the worse, maybe for the better.

Its obvious one doesn't have time or energy to tend to four partners and sport fuck too, no sane person does! I'm not judging you personaly because (1) I don't know you and (2) there are few absolutes in this world; but the ability to acquire and maintain one meaningful relationship at a time ( OK maybe two ) is a sign of mental and emotional maturity. There is nothing wrong, and it is probably healthy, to try to create good relationships and that is why sexless or unromantic partnerships persist. But sometimes despite wishing, hoping and working at it relationships fail.

On topic, me, after a successful 20 year "marriage" that ended with the death of my partner a relationship of five years like this: three good years, one year of trying to make it work and one year trying to get out.

16. dickbulge

dickbulge New Member

Yes, girl, you just keep believing that.

17. madame_zora

Gold Member

Mine was about six years. We were married and lived together for two, separated for two and lived together divorced again for two. There was a lot of love there between us, but his denial about his sexual orientation was an absolute killer. I have feelings for him to this day, but I have no desire to have an ongoing relationship with him, knowing how badly it hurt me.

Actually, there is no one from my past that I sit around dreaming about. I think in every case I was convinved that there was nothing left of the relationship before I ever decided to end it. No regrets there.

Dr. Rock, I envy your situation, I have no idea how you find partners who are willing to share you!

18. Dr Rock

Gold Member

well .. I don't have any siblings, and I left home when I was 16 and my mother hasn't wanted a whole lot to do with me since, so I'd say yeah, actually.

well okay, but if it changes for the worse surely it's obviously time it was over.

hey, speak for yourself, man :D I'm managing 3 at the moment, and I was juggling 4 on and off until quite recently.

pffft. I never said any of them were "meaningful." I'm not even sure what that means in the context of a relationship. if you enjoy their company and the sex is good, what other meanings is one supposed to look for?

<!--QuoteBegin-madame_zora
    @Mar 14 2005, 08:56 PM
    Dr. Rock, I envy your situation, I have no idea how you find partners who are willing to share you&#33;
    [post=290869]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/quote]
    aww. well, two of them are also fucking each other, so it&#39;s not as tricky as it might sound ;)

19. Knight

Knight New Member

Well hopefully my longest lasting failed relationship won&#39;t be the one I&#39;m in. This is however also my first real relationship. Believe it or not I&#39;ve never had a proper girlfriend til now. My gf says I&#39;m also her first real one since all her past boyfriends (avg relationship lasting a week lol) were assholes.

So I&#39;m new to all this relationship but its good stuff :D and all her friends fancy me which I find hard to believe and a bit daunting. Things are lookin up :)

20. DenBoy

DenBoy Member

Albums:
    2 and 1/2 years for me it ended 6 months after I asked her to marry me. I think that the only reason it lasted as long as it did was because the sex was great. We had very different goals in life, and she dumped me when she realized my career would not allow us to live in the only place she was willing to live.

Draft saved Draft deleted