Looking at Getting a Tattoo...

FantomX

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm interested in getting a tattoo and was wondering if I could get some help. I'm want to get an armband tattoo similar to a tribal design, but I want it more blocky instead.

Anybody know of any websites that could help me in finding what I'm looking for, whether it be just a website with a lot of pictures to look through or one that helps you design your own? Thanks in advance.

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Try looking in all the tattoo magazines at yr local stand. Some good ones. My advice would be to find a design you like and then wait another 6 months to see if you still like it. I waited a year and have no regrets even tho it took 6 hrs to do.
Good luck!

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you find a really good place to get it done at they SHOULD draw it up for you to how you want it. If you don't like it tell them what you don't like about it and try your best to tell them how you want it. They should be happy to help you get what YOU want not what they have.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
have toyed with the idea -- was thinking of one of the family crests I can lay claim to, or registering my own design, then getting the ink based on that (once saw this guy with a coat of arms tattoo, and it looked great)

you can find several designs on the net, and, of course mags from your local news-stand

if you check out the different parlors in your area, they may already have what you're looking for

eastbaydude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm interested in getting a tattoo and was wondering if I could get some help. I'm want to get an armband tattoo similar to a tribal design, but I want it more blocky instead.

Anybody know of any websites that could help me in finding what I'm looking for, whether it be just a website with a lot of pictures to look through or one that helps you design your own? Thanks in advance.

Getting a tribal tattoo is a great way to honor your tribal history. What? you're not part of a tribe?

Skip the "tribal" shit. You're a white boy.

My advice, make sure it's something you really want. And think about how you're going ot like it when you 40 or 50.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Maori designs tend to be blockier... simpler shapes and spirals...but it is hard to even find true maori designs... most have some blend of celtic influence...

Don't limit your search to tattoo images--- there are whole books of design motifs and ornamentation that you can get in the Art section of any decent book store...

Pages and pages of different styles and schools of scroll work, elaboration, borders, zoomorphics.

A good tattoo artist can adapt any source art you provide.

Also- if your first tattoo, get a little test ink in the area, to see if you have an allergic reaction to the inks. Of particular concern is the color red... lots' of people get very severe reactions to red ink- to the point where the affected skin has to literally be cut out. ( though many get good results with a course of steroidal creams to bring down the inflammation )

Be sure of what you want... you will have to suffer it a long time... and really avoid any kind of finicky detail... especially if you are young...
The cells with the ink continue to divide... and the image will blur over time...
I know people who got very detail pictures or illustrations... 15 years later they are just an indistinguishable smear.
Simple discrete shapes hold up best... avoid "shadings"- and really really avoid any image you think is currently 'cool'. You will change over time, and so will what is cool... assuming the visible changes you make to your body will allow you...

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
This tribal shit has been hashed in another thread...and yes...even use white guys came from various tribes...way back when... Depending on your name you might want to go with something symbolic of your name...i.e. bell, a ring of stylized bells, or eagles...you get the idea.

D_Jerry_Atric

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Getting a tribal tattoo is a great way to honor your tribal history. What? you're not part of a tribe?

Skip the "tribal" shit. You're a white boy.

My advice, make sure it's something you really want. And think about how you're going ot like it when you 40 or 50.
Heh I have a friend that jokes that every white boy has a Tribal tat now!

Matt_101

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wouldn't get a tribal one, every white person seems to have one these days

I am planning on getting a tattoo next year, but I am going for a Celtic one due to me living in Ireland. I was thinking on getting a clover on my wrist aswell

Attachments

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Heh I have a friend that jokes that every white boy has a Tribal tat now!

Celts, Picts, Normans, Basques, Angles, Jutes, Gauls, Aryans, Franks, Slavs...

Europe is nothing more than tribes... and most of the "tribal" art you see on White boys Actually IS derived from European tribes.

teutonicos

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Try looking in all the tattoo magazines at yr local stand. Some good ones. My advice would be to find a design you like and then wait another 6 months to see if you still like it. I waited a year and have no regrets even tho it took 6 hrs to do.
Good luck!

I second hellsKitchenman.I didn´t wait and now I don´t like it anymore.

Matt_101

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
One bit of advise I would give would be to wait 6 months and see if you still want it, because my friend got one and a few months later completely regretted it

HellsKitchenmanNYC

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I second hellsKitchenman.I didn´t wait and now I don´t like it anymore.

I'm very glad I talked to all my tatted friends before hand. Oh and also...go larger than you think. No one really regrets a large tat but they always regret going too small. Of coursr those two sizes are diff for diff people.